PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Updated DraftExpress has Semi in 2017 Draft

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Updated DraftExpress has Semi in 2017 Draft

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:48 pm

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

Saw someone tweet about this so checked it out. DraftExpress has Semi now as the #55 overall prospect in the country and Shake as the #61 overall prospect. They have Semi going in this years 2017 draft at #43 (Mid-2nd round) and Shake waiting and going in 2018 and being a late first rounder.

I know some people don't care, just thought it was interesting. Curious if the Semi projection is based off when the DE guy came to SMU if Semi expressed this or if its just a total guess that he think Semi will declare and stay in the draft (my guess). Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts, because this is the first time I have seen Semi projected in a 2017 draft. Before I saw this I thought the odds of Semi going pro after this year were real low. Now not as certain even though I'm still leaning that he comes back unless his stock just soars in a tourney run.

Shake I think will be back just because he would be a 2nd rounder this year and could make alot of money coming back since he could be a mid-1st round type guy if he has even a better/more consistent year at PG next season.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Re: Updated DraftExpress has Semi in 2017 Draft

Postby HTXPonyUp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:06 pm

This year's draft class is super competitive. Not surprised to see that them going in the second round. The first round in general are reserved for the one and done prospects, but there are teams (Ex: Rockets) who favor more experienced college players.

Semi, whilst extremely good on a college level, is older than a lot of the projected first round picks. His tweener size makes scouts wonder if he is able to guard 2s and 3s in the next level. I don't see too many other knocks on him. I personally think that he can be a Montrezl Harrell kind of guy with better shooting ability and less athleticism. Semi definitely has the tools to make it in the NBA.

Shake definitely needs one more year in college IMO. His shooting is still hot and cold and he's not assertive enough still on offense. Another year and he has a good chance to be a first rounder.
HTXPonyUp
Scout Team

Postby deucetz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:07 pm

My hope is he has a monster time during the Tournament and gets projected as a first rounder. Semi deserves to make money. If he isn't projected to go in the first round, I will be happy for him to come back. He has been a true student athlete for SMU.
Last edited by deucetz on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:11 pm

I think Semi will stay and give it another year to see if he can improve his stock. But ultimately I think he is too small/not good enough inside to play inside in the NBA, and he isn't a good enough ball handler/ quick enough to play on the outside in the NBA. I think Semi is a great college player that likely will have to go to Europe to play pro. Shake strikes me as a type of guy that could see his stock rise dramatically at the combine and through work outs, even this year. Don't see how a guy Like Brisco or Simmons or Berry could be ranked ahead of Shake. There are not a lot of 6'6 guys that are as athletic and quick as him with that good of a stroke.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Yeah with Semi the ultimate problem is his size. He is a tweener between a 3/4. Think he could guard a 3, but not sure he could play the 3 for extended minutes. Think he is more natural as a stretch 4 who can play on the perimeter. Think he is best served coming back another year and really emerging onto the national scene as a potential POY type guy then going pro in a less deep draft, UNLESS he has a monster tournament then he is likely best served to go get his money. Regardless, I wish him the best for him he is a great kid. I do think he can stick in the NBA as a good bench player or maybe surprise some people.

See I would bet Shake is back. Would put the odds at like 85%. He had an inconsistent start of the year and has been inconsistent at times. He shows the flashes and is an amazing 3 shooter. He needs to keep developing at attacking the basket and finishing around the basket. Thats a must for most NBA PG's & Shake is a solid athlete, but not an above the rim player. In such a deep draft I see him as a 2nd rounder since he still has work to do on his game and he has alot of reasons to come back. As Pony_Law says he is a great talent and can easily be a 1st round guy and make alot of money playing hoops. Shake is a stud.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm guessing they both declare but stay home.

If they do declare it might just be the end of Ponyfans.

I can see the meltdown now.

Ojai....spare a Xanax?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Smulaw90 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:22 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:I'm guessing they both declare but stay home.

Ojai....spare a Xanax?

We survived the departure of the Aussies, we can handle anything! Lol
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby SMULaxer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Smulaw90 wrote:

Ojai....spare a Xanax?

We survived the departure of the Aussies, we can handle anything! Lol

True I lost a ton of sleep when the Aussies left.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:22 am

Ojai....spare a Xanax?

Yep. Will be a meltdown and panic for about a month. Shake is my favorite SMU player and I think he has the most upside of anyone on the team, but personally and many likely disagree, but I think Semi is more likely to go pro after this season despite not having a true position.

I could see them both coming back which I think could form an unbelievably good team and both Semi and Shake could really improve their draft stocks and become SMU legends.

Of course all of this doesn't matter until after the season and this is going to be an awesome rest of the season. Really love this team. This stuff is always interesting to talk and think about though.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:08 am

....crisis hotline being researched now.

I guess "declaring" is just part of how things work today.

I really feel for head coaches and staff today. They bust their asses trying to fill out rosters with the best possible kids and get torpedoed by some parents, harrangued by handlers and hammered by fans.

When the kids finally get to school the poor staff is second-guessed endlessly by the fanbase. Then some of the choices don't work out....some fail miserably, some flunk out, others transfer. Some end up in jail.

Others succeed beyond expectations. I tip my hat and give thanks for each and every one of our current team and staff. It would be so easy if all they had to do was practice and play games.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball