PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

@Houston bigger than Cincy Game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: @Houston bigger than Cincy Game

Postby ojaipony » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:28 pm

ponyboy wrote:Thread title translation: Glad we beat Cinci but now I'm worried about a hangover loss at Houston.

Thanks, that's about pretty much right on.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Every game is huge because a loss would be a blow not only to a good seed but an excuse to keep us out of the tourney except against Cincy in the AAC tourney.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:34 pm

I'm not worried about a let down as we have a game before the game against UH and we have strong leadership on the bench and with mature players. I am more worried about our guys getting worn down. Houston will be our 6th game in 17 days. A few of those games with a pure 6 guy rotation. Against temple and cinci everyone not named Semi looked like their legs were a bit drained (shake, sterling, and foster haven't shot nearly as well, and Ben isn't finishing at the basket like he usually does). If we can get past Houston we get a week to rest up for Uconn.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:44 pm

A loss to Tulane would certainly be worse than a Houston loss.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangfan01 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Say it with me everyone: "Sweep Coog High"

3-0 in '16-'17. Maybe 4 if we get the fortune to slap them again in the conference tournament.
mustangfan01
Varsity

Postby RyanSMU98 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:35 am

mrydel wrote:A loss to Tulane would certainly be worse than a Houston loss.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! In my mind, we're on the back half of a double-sided trap: first was overlooking Temple in anticipation of High Noon with Cincy (OK, 3pm but you get the point); we navigated that pretty well. Now, you've got to worry about the mentality that the worst is behind us after knocking off Cincy and rising in the polls and thinking you can lay off the gas a little - we can't. Our conference gets so little respect that we very well might have to win out the rest of the way, which is nowhere near a guarantee. Only way you have a prayer is going one game at a time. So, for the next ~36 hours I don't give a CRAP about anybody but Tulane. I know Jank and the guys know this, which is pretty rare for an SMU program historically.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:58 am

Just win our last five. I know it won't be easy, but that will guarantee at least a share of the conference title. Our NCAA seeding will take care of itself. Jank has done a brilliant job of managing our short roster. We will be the favorites in all five remaining games. Be assassins and take care of business. Our guys are tough, very talented and capable.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby lollaperuna » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:15 am

If we win at Houston then I just don't see another loss on the schedule. UCONN is certainly a possibility, but it will take losing one of our six to fouls or injury for them to get the upset.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:59 am

This thread is ridiculous. SMU does not need to win at Houston to ensure an NCAA tournament bid. If we win all the other remaining regular season games but Houston, we are an absolute lock. The Cincinnati win was way more important than the Houston game because it is our signature win. Winning or losing at Houston does not change much because it would not be considered a signature win since they are outside the Top 25 RPI, but at the same time would not be considered a bad loss because they are 57 in RPI. Winning or losing at Houston is huge for the regular season conference championship and can impact our NCAA tournament seeding, although I don't think it would affect things in a big way. I do think that the SMU v Houston game is huge for Houston's NCAA tournament chances as beating SMU would be an absolute signature win. I am still hopeful that they get their signature win at Cincinnati so that we can secure the regular season conference championship and possibly have 3 at-large bids for the NCAA tournament in SMU, Cincinnati, Houston and possibly the AAC tournament champion.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:03 am

I don't think most people are concerned about getting in. The conversation seems to be more about seeding at this point.
ponyboy

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:05 am

ponyboy wrote:I don't think most people are concerned about getting in. The conversation seems to be more about seeding at this point.

Seeding and winning that conference championship. And not losing to effing Houston.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:12 am

mustangxc wrote:This thread is ridiculous. SMU does not need to win at Houston to ensure an NCAA tournament bid. If we win all the other remaining regular season games but Houston, we are an absolute lock. The Cincinnati win was way more important than the Houston game because it is our signature win. Winning or losing at Houston does not change much because it would not be considered a signature win since they are outside the Top 25 RPI, but at the same time would not be considered a bad loss because they are 57 in RPI. Winning or losing at Houston is huge for the regular season conference championship and can impact our NCAA tournament seeding, although I don't think it would affect things in a big way. I do think that the SMU v Houston game is huge for Houston's NCAA tournament chances as beating SMU would be an absolute signature win. I am still hopeful that they get their signature win at Cincinnati so that we can secure the regular season conference championship and possibly have 3 at-large bids for the NCAA tournament in SMU, Cincinnati, Houston and possibly the AAC tournament champion.

I appreciate the confidence people have that we are lock but I still don't trust the selection committee, especially considering the snub where we were 23-9 (including loss in AAC tourney) but had a resume wins against: #7 Cincy, #17/21 UCONN (home and away), #22 Memphis. Whereas this season we do have less losses (4) but only one top 25 win.

Now again, please note this isn't a criticism of "we should be in the tournament" but rather a distrust in the selection committee past transgressions against us. We would at least have the argument that we are on winning spree (especially you back out a 2 pt loss to cincy on the road). In rational thinking, we should have the ability to lose to UH on the road but sometimes reason doesn't flow to SC. Anyways just my take, I hope this team wipes the floor with the rest of the schedule and wins the AAC championship and put away the fears.
Last edited by SMU_Alum11 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:14 am

We had fewer wins in total and some really bad losses that season. While that snub was unforgivable, it was our first year as a solid program and realize that despite the fewer signature wins this season, this team is much more solid any way you look at it. The landmines are our other remaining games, but at Houston is not one of them.
mustangxc

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:17 am

Yep, I'm just very cynical about the selection committee. Hopefully this year (assuming we don't win the AAC tourney) they can wipe away the distrust.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball