PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DFW/Texas Recruits

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: DFW/Texas Recruits

Postby kc711 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:54 pm

papawasamustang wrote:One possible grad transfer has local roots, Zach LeDay @ Virginia Tech, is from Dallas/The Colony.
Couple more to keep an eye on are Erik McCree @ LaTech & Stefan Janicovic @ Hawaii.
Really like McCree.

Stefan Janicovic used up all of his eligibility last season. Also, not a grad transfer candidate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Janković_(basketball)
kc711
Scout Team

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Get players, not positions
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BleedSMUPride » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Jankovic is also playing in the D-league and not even in college...
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:05 pm

My bad ! I thought they had 1 more year.
Agree with Hoopmanx re: talent, not just a position.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Fresno Mustang » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:23 pm

I am not a basketball recruiting expert but after following the program closely since being a student here and following recruiting closely its actually interesting looking back at the recruiting under LB and comparing the high school recruits to transfers throughout the last few years. Looking back at the 4 year guys we recruited under LB, I think Jank has the potential to over the long term have more success than LB did recruiting sustainable 4 year guys. A lot of the rapid success we had under LB was from the buzz he generated early on and his ability to translate that into transfer market success:

Transfer recruits under LB (not including Turner from U of A):

2013/2014:
Nic - not much needs to be said here, but Jank had influence in landing his commitment
Markus - good find by Larry
Crandall Head - didn't workout but ok depth during the 1 season
Yanick - good initial LB recruit, top JUCO center that year I believe

2014 /2015:
Emelgou - contributor this year
Martin - bust

2015/2016:
Semi - huge land
Whitt - looks like a big commitment as well

2013:
- Keith - didnt workout
- Moore - great get
- Brown - great get

2014:
- Mudiay - nice notoriety / buzz but disappointing it didn't workout

2015:
- Barefield - bust for us, good player for Utah, weird that he didn't stick around before even playing for LB
- Shake - huge land
- Jarrey - great find w/ him having a HS injury and being flipped from Rice

2016:
- Froling - bust, like Hoop has said, looks like it was more of a convenience / timing recruitment if anything
- Wilson - not even a d1 player at this point
- Mcdowell - verdict still out but might be buried next year on the depth chart

I might be missing some players but we have about 4 HS recruits out of the 10 I can count under LB that are major contributors vs. 6 transfer guys that have been or are projected to be big contributors out of the 8 that were brought in under LB's watch. I know transfers vs HS recruits isn't an apples to apples comparison but it is interesting to look back on our recruiting under the LB era. I also just grouped this under LB recruiting vs. Jank recruiting, it doesn't take into account which assistants actually brought them in. Its also telling about the Dallas AAU scene when you look back on how many issues the Dallas area recruits caused our program. And that doesn't even take into account the AAU team we recruited heavily that went almost entirely to A&M. Outside of Emelogu, I dont think a local player has been a major program contributor over the past few years. Houston, Oklahoma and Midwestern players have been bigger contributors to the program. We are a private school with a national footprint, we should leave the DFW focused recruiting to the football program and recruit locally on a case by case basis.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Good breakdown Fresno. I think at this level until we have sustained tourney success (and maybe even then) getting high level transfers is a really good way to go to supplement recruiting. You see Cincy, UConn, and Gonzaga all doing it.

I think it has been said before, but when talking about actual guys who made it to campus LB was great at getting us a visit and in a recruits final list, but he only really closed on a few big time prospects that actually ended up on campus (KF, Shake, if you wanna consider Froling) then built of off Sterlings, Ben's, Foster's and transfers. Not saying LB was a bad recruiter, but dont think its unrealistic to think Jank & the staff can be easily as good.

I really like our recruiting model and Jank and the staff, in a small sample size, have done a great job w/ the 4 commits and McMurray.

We need to keep recruiting nationally (particularly in the South and Midwest where our coaches have been successful and have connections) and cherry pick Dallas kids like Everett Ray and make a run at Andrew Jones, Marcus Garrett, Grayson Carter, Drew Timme, Avery Anderson, and Devion Harmon type guys in DFW area. Then pick up transfers to supplement recruiting and fill big needs with talented players.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony147 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Don't forget about Jordan Tolbert-he was a local guy, originally from Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal HS
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:23 pm

deucetz wrote:I definitely agree 3 and 4 year guys are essential to build the program but sprinkling in a high 4 and 5 star recruit cannot hurt. I think the key is getting those highly rated players that will listen and follow instructions.

Duke is yearly able to get those recruits coachable highly rated player but they also are Duke and have won a lot. In addition, to having a coach K with such a long tenure and influence on the game.

I hope Jank can be like that for SMU. I hope we are loyal and give him everything he needs to be successful. If we are strapped for cash take it from football :P

Jank being our longterm guy absolutely should be the goal. Like hoopmanx said, if Chad got 7, give Jank 7. And if we don't, you can bet Illinois /NC State/whomever will.

While we are at it, it's worth noting that (again as with Chad and LB for hoops) we are actively raising $ for a redo of the basketball offices. Remember the must - do housewarming makeover we gave Chad? We need to make the same happen for hoops

Excellence fund for basketball is open for bidness and accepting checks. SMU needs to extend Jank and lock him up and we need to fill the coffers
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Fresno Mustang » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Pony147 wrote:Don't forget about Jordan Tolbert-he was a local guy, originally from Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal HS

I knew I was forgetting someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Chad has yet to sign the "7"...
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Mexmustang wrote:Chad has yet to sign the "7"...

I don't dispute that
RGV Pony

Postby PonySnob » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:03 pm

As long as David Miller is happy!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:14 pm

He'd probably appreciate a few other folks writing some checks for the five and six fig items if he's covering the seven
RGV Pony

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Jank is getting paid competitively, but I couldnt agree more that he deserves a raise after this season. He is doing a great job and want to make it where Illinois, KSU, and NC State couldn't pay him anymore money than we could. We have extra basketball money for the staff, since LB is now gone so it should go to Jank to make sure this is the last place he is a HC at, which I think he wants.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball