PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruiting breakdown

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Recruiting breakdown

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:59 pm

Okay, my last post disappeared. I'll try and recreate it :).

DT: Dotson is the best recruit we have. Brown is 4th, between Biggurs and Loveless, and Newman is 7th out of ten between Jones and Coxe. Improvement and depth. Overall a young group. A GT is expected to come in on the DL. The youth would point here, numbers would point to DE. Overall, we have 2 strong recruits and 3 OK recruits at the position, so not quite where we want to be.

DE: Probably could be considered a miss with no recruits, and a relatively old group of players. We have 6 if Gary is a DE, which is probably a bit light. We have 3 strongly recruited players at the position, 4 if Mixon comes back somehow.

LB: Denbow is our third best recruit behind Moore and Spears, with Wiley and Philips right behind at 4 and 5. Rispress is 7 out of 14 between Duke and Williams. 3, 4, 5 and 7 would mark an improvement. GT is also expected here, which would really mark an improvement. Right now we have 2 strong recruits and 5 OK recruits at the position, so need more quality here.

CB: Johnson is the best recruit we have a this position. Hayes is 4th between Davis and Sutton. Keys is 8 out of 8. Improvement. 2 really strongly recruited players (Johnson and Wyatt) and 2 OK recruits (Davis and Hayes).

S: Ellison is second between Clark and McWueen. Improvement, and a grad transfer is expected either here or corner. Most likely at safety because there is concern of size at that position. Improvement before the grad transfer, and probably a significant one afterwards. Only have 1 highly rated recruit and one ok recruit here, so GT would help.

OL: Livingston is our second best recruit, between Ali and Huhn, but it is close between the three. Thomas is 9th between Wilds and Barton, Morris 11th ahead of Pursley, and Dennis 13th ahead of Natour. Would have to say improvement because of Livingston. But this is a group to keep an eye on. We have 6 very highly rated recruits at this position, plus Pursley and Natour are DITR returning starters. Will be a top unit in conference this upcoming year and phenominal in 2019. Also expect a GT here.

QB: Brown is our 4th best recruit out of 5. So a meh, but we have 3 highly regarded recruits and 2 solid, so it is a deep group to begin with.

RB: Williams is actually our second best recruit between Medlock and Jones. So an improvement to a very strong core.

TE: Redding is 3 out of 4 between Rau and Thedford. Meh, but the group is deep to begin with - 2 stud recruits and 2 OK recruits.

WR: no recruits. Would be a HUGE miss, because we only have 7 returning players. That said, hearing 3 GTs at this position alone, and from big schools. So it should go from "oops" to significant improvement. Here, we have 2 stud recruits, 2 OK recruits, and the rest are DITR. Need to add 3 guys to compete for starting spots along side Proche.

All in all, assuming the GTs come in, this is a hell of a haul in a very short period of time. Very well targeted, and improves the roster. I think you would have to classify this class a success. Not the best since the DP or anything like that, but a success.

And, yes, I know that is a lot of GTs. But that is what I'm hearing. Dykes is honest, direct, but builds good relationships. It played out during the recruiting cycle when he told recruits that he wasn't going to honor their commitment. And I think he is going to have some very honest conversations with some of the players currently enrolled, and we will see attrition for his GTs. Particularly at S, DT, and LB.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Recruiting breakdown

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:41 pm

definitely going to need some IMPACT GTs
Charleston Pony

Postby Monty_The_Mustang » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:58 am

I wonder how many guys we have graduating this spring that might move on.
Monty_The_Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Noticed Adam at DMN gave this class an A- grade. Did not know we did that well. Seriously glad to hear the emphasis from Dykes on the Oline and DLine/LBs. Agree we lost or barely won games last year due to the line play, when with our offensive players should have won going away. Hopefully, Dykes and Kane can get these guys playing "tougher".
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:47 pm

I'm glad to hear a coach who says he likes to recruit a "football team". The proportions under Morris were better than under Jones (who seemed like he would recruit 2 OLs and 18 slot receivers per recruiting class), but even 2 NFL calibre receivers couldn't cover the fact that we didn't have enough good linemen and linebackers.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm

I am really pleased with Sonny so far. He put together a decent class and more importantly filled immediate needs. Looking forward to seeing what Kane can do with defense. He handles the linebackers also so hopefully will will see improvement there and that could mean a win or two, or maybe at least making Navy punt.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby 3rdGenPony » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:57 pm

I was o.k. with the hire of Dykes. I like the staff he put together, and the recruiting so far has given me further encouragement. Love the talk about the game being won up front on both sides of the ball, and it does not appear to be lip service. I am not chugging cool aid at this point, but I am starting to get optomistic about the program being poised to move forward and build on the progress over the past three years rather than regressing back into the abyss.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:07 pm

That coach we got from Texas has a ton of relationships everywhere. Really helped them get off and running. Also, apparently the Navarro coach was associated with Cal, which obviously paid off early.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 pm

Navarro's new Head Coach in Jim Gush former SMU Defensive Coordinator under Bennett
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Topper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:46 pm

mrydel wrote:I am really pleased with Sonny so far. He put together a decent class and more importantly filled immediate needs. Looking forward to seeing what Kane can do with defense. He handles the linebackers also so hopefully will will see improvement there and that could mean a win or two, or maybe at least making Navy punt.

Navy has a punter?
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:40 pm

That is the question.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Topper wrote:
mrydel wrote:I am really pleased with Sonny so far. He put together a decent class and more importantly filled immediate needs. Looking forward to seeing what Kane can do with defense. He handles the linebackers also so hopefully will will see improvement there and that could mean a win or two, or maybe at least making Navy punt.

Navy has a punter?

Yes, but he never makes the trip to Ford.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby Casey » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:25 am

Hope at least 2 of the linebackers are good enough to play right away.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Just imagine if Courtland and Quinn were on this team next year. I think our Oline will be better and that alone (plus Kaz) should give us at least 1 more win. However, without Courtland and Quinn, our offense will probably take a step back (assuming maybe Page and Bell can provide some big time production). Our defense will be better. 4-8, maybe 5-7.
ojaipony

Postby JasonB » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:43 am

If the OL is improved as we think it will be, we have the RB depth to be run the ball very well, and consistently. That will go some distance to make up for the losses of Sutton and Quinn and keep the offense from falling back too much. Once we find out who the GTs are, if they can make a difference the offense could be very good next year.
JasonB

Next

Return to Recruiting