PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny Dykes breaks down first SMU recruiting class

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sonny Dykes breaks down first SMU recruiting class

Postby PonyPride » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:39 pm

SMU football head coach Sonny Dykes met the media to discussing his first recruiting class on the Hilltop.

(Please forgive the camera angle — it was locked on a tripod, and when he stood up to talk about specific players, it resulted in the less-than-normal camera shot.)

Bios of new SMU signees

Link to video highlights of new SMU signees

PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Sonny Dykes breaks down first SMU recruiting class

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:31 pm

Most excited about the OLs and LBs.
Hope a few are ready to contribute right away.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:53 pm

Thanks for sharing, Pony Pride

Sitting in snowy Chicago, it was fun to watch the introduction to the new class and feel the excitement. Sonny appears a straight shooter and committed to building a winner for the long term. I liked hearing his plans which will lead to better days.

Pony Up, Sonny, and welcome again to SMU.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:07 am

2 things that really stuck with me from the recruiting roundup were that SD thought Ben Redding was the best TE in Texas so I guess David Priebe was not someone we lost but someone we encouraged to look around. I have to take him at his word as he admitted some of our decommitments were lost recruiting battles. Interesting to say the least. I really liked that he said we would wear a white helmet, blue jersey, white pants at home and not fool around with that nonsense of changing uniforms every week so we would have one less thing to worry about. SD comes across as down to earth, sincere, no-nonsense. As long as he keeps a strong social media presence I think that approach can be very effective.
mustangxc

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:19 am

mustangxc wrote:I really liked that he said we would wear a white helmet, blue jersey, white pants at home and not fool around with that nonsense of changing uniforms every week so we would have one less thing to worry about.

If this is true, my wife and I will up our Mustang Club donation. Seriously.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Have to appreciate his straight forward nature; nothing scripted and no buzz phrases. Let's hope he can generate support for the program that all the others before him have been unable to.
Charleston Pony

Postby HorsePower » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:36 am

Couldn't agree more. HCSD had me as excited about this program as I've been in years
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:55 am

mustangxc wrote:I really liked that he said we would wear a white helmet, blue jersey, white pants at home and not fool around with that nonsense of changing uniforms every week so we would have one less thing to worry about.

But everybody has been saying the last few years that you have to change the uniforms to help with recruiting and keep the players excited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby BIGHORSE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:38 am

PonySnob wrote:

But everybody has been saying the last few years that you have to change the uniforms to help with recruiting and keep the players excited.

I wonder if Chad will mess with the Hog uniforms, I will just be happy if we go back

to the Mustang on both sides of the helmet, and throw away all black, and grey uniforms.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:46 am

Hogs already mess with their uniforms. They were the first anthracite team I had ever seen a few years back. Fans here hate it also.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby BIGHORSE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:40 am

mrydel wrote:Hogs already mess with their uniforms. They were the first anthracite team I had ever seen a few years back. Fans here hate it also.

I thought the ones they had that looked like the Dallas Cowboys uniforms looked the best for them, I would just like to stick with red, and blue for us.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:26 am

PonySnob wrote:

Winning and attendance are the most important factors in recruiting. Do that and the uniforms don't even matter. I like his mindset of one less thing to worry about.
mustangxc

Postby PonyGirl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:00 pm

When you have the best uniforms in the country, all of those varieties are nothing more than a waste of money. Glad to read Sonny's take on this.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby Monty_The_Mustang » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:30 pm

I agree on the uniforms. It’s nice to recognize and be elated by seeing your teams uniforms run out onto the field. Like being a cowboys or Bama fan, you see that helmet and that same uniform you always see and that gets you excited. Seeing a grey uniform with a pink pony run out doesn’t get me as fired up, nor does a skyline on one side for a few games
Monty_The_Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:05 pm

I don't get fired up about uniforms.
10-2 kind of works for me
One Trick Pony

Next

Return to Recruiting