PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank should be fired but won't

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank should be fired but won't

Postby skyscraper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:13 pm

So now Jank now has a two year window to win a title?
I need to know what the consensus of the board is because clearly I'm being too harsh.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:15 pm

I didn’t say win the conference title in 2020, but we need to be competing for it. That’s based on how the roster is set up and when you can legitimately evaluate Janks recruiting.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:16 pm

I'd love to see you run the floor for 40 minutes against Cincy without a scholarship substitute
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:18 pm

My goodness our "fans" are spoiled and entitled, aren't they? If we don't win the AAC every year or at least every couple of years the coach should be fired? Do you mean the regular season, or conference tourney, or both? You people are nuts! This is college basketball where you don't even have to win your conference in order to win a national championship. Some of you need to pull your heads out.
Those who freak out and get so emotional after losing a game that anyone with half a brain should have known we had no chance of winning will obviously be among the 1st to bail on this program. Good riddance, but this is so SMUish.
Charleston Pony

Postby skyscraper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:19 pm

If you're judging this team based on tonight only you're silly. This has been a leaking car since New Years.
But since Jank won 30 games last season with Larry's players he has carte Blanche with everyone. That's on you.
skyscraper

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:25 pm

I’m going to take a side on Skyscraper here but it’s not because of either game against Cincy. Jank poorly coached the Tulane game (and Chargois is extremely fragile btw), Temple, Tulsa and Houston and UCONN games. That’s where my frustration is with him. If I recollect, every game listed above we blew leads. I’m with Pony Law though, Jank needs to be graded on next season. He also needs to put in protocls to keep these players injured or sick before games. I just don’t get how it’s constantly happening especially warm ups and practice.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Jank definitely has some things on him - he is far from untouchable. This game is not the reason to say that though (although the lack of organized plays to pick open mcmurray is a coaching crime - that would have been the only way to stay in this one and we didn't even try).

Having last yrs roster and losing twice to USC was crazy. Losing to Tulane and then also temple at home is very questionable. Those four games make me really wonder with the talent he had on the floor for those games.

Jank has had some great coaching games also - but he is not bulletproof. And his staff needs to prove the talent will come for them and not just LB. havent seen proof of that yet either.
gostangs

Postby Otto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:57 pm

skyscraper wrote:It's clear we had a once in a lifetime opportunity with three (about to be 4) NBA players on our roster last year and we bombed out in the first round.
Now we're stuck in a death spiral where Jank is going to be bailed out by our injuries. But anyone who's paid attention knows how average Jank is as a coach. That Tulane loss was inexcusable and we were at full strength.
The question is how long are we going to stick with an average coach.
HoopmanX was right.

The Tulane game was not a good loss, but Chargois was at home puking and two other starters were sick as dogs during the week, too. Should they have found a way to win? Yeah, maybe, but let's not act like they were fresh and healthy.

The idea of firing Jank is beyond ridiculous.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Dumbest post in pony fans history and that is saying a lot because there have been some idiotic post throughout the years.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:00 pm

A team with 5 starters that will end up in the NBA losing in the first round is something that will haunt all of us for a long time.

That said, next season is when Jank will be judged. This season had played out exactly as he predicted before the injuries (erratic play, up and down, concerns about McMurray). Next year's team will be his team, and we will either still be a program or sliding backwards. We will see what happens.
JasonB

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 pm

skyscraper wrote:If you're judging this team based on tonight only you're silly. This has been a leaking car since New Years.
But since Jank won 30 games last season with Larry's players he has carte Blanche with everyone. That's on you.

How can you not give Jank credit for winning with "LB's players", but then blame him and want him fired in year two, for the sanctions he inherited and when he has suffered casualties that would cripple almost any teams tourney hopes. So yeah... your post is absurd.

What coach would ever want to coach at a school who would fire a coach under your criteria. I guess we would be stuck with hiring you.. Jank should be judged as mentioned above off of his next two seasons and how he finishes his 2018 recruiting class and his 2019 class. Then we can start these threads. It's year two and we returned 3 players off a 30 win team and have suffered a laughable amount of injuries to key players to an already short handed team.

You can think Jank should be doing better, or not think he is coaching well, but to think he should be fired is absurd.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Head coach Tim Jankovich is 54 - 14 at SMU, and now 38 - 2 at Moody.

Spoiled BRAT millenials including the mediocre SMU Alumni 11 guy should be forced to pass a
test on SMU athletic history before being allowed to post on here :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyFan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:33 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Head coach Tim Jankovich is 54 - 14 at SMU, and now 38 - 2 at Moody.

I knew his record was good, didn't realize it was that good
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:10 am

Dear Mr. President,

The following is a list of Coaches who should be fired this week due to recent poor performances...

Jay Wright - Villanova
Gregg Marshall - Wichita State
Tony Bennett - Virginia
Bill Self - Kansas
Lon Kruger - Oklahoma
Jon Calipari - Kentucky
Tim Jankovich - SMU

P.S. - I am not a crackpot.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 am

skyscraper wrote:Please defend the USC game last March and the January slate this season before the injuries.

We lost to 4 teams all season - including three unranked teams. The NCAA matched us up in the first round with one of the 4 teams that had beaten us - a 25-9 USC team. Over half of USC's losses included highly ranked teams - #4, #5, #6, #14, #21.

I believe that USC had a better team than we did last year. They were tested in their conference schedule, they actually benefited from playing in the play-in game.

We were matched up with a better team - get over it.

USC, with 9 losses already, is currently projected as in the tournament this year. We have twice as many top 50 RPI wins as USC - but the committee will still take USC over SMU as they know that they are a better team (even with the head to head win by SMU).

BTW - - If the team hits their free throws - the two Bahamas games could have ended with wins. I think Shake was the one at the line in both games missing front end of 1-1s in crunch time. Jank obviously did not coach Shake enough on hitting free throws.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball