PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank should be fired but won't

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank should be fired but won't

Postby smusportspage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:30 pm

gostangs wrote:First of all it is a great thing our fan base has high expectations. Hopefully the GM (Miller) does as well.

And this is more than the last month - this goes back to last year. We had 4, if not five NBA level players most of last year and didn't do squat that anyone will remember with them. That is an issue.

I am sorry to see that Conference Championship and Conference Tournament Championship means nothing to the fan base around hear anymore. :roll: Really?? Yes, and I get it...it would have been nice to win a game in the NCAA tournament.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm

PonyTime wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:
PonyTime wrote:If LB were the HC on Sunday night we would have lost by same margin.

It's not like Larry's teams were so deep (before sanctions) that we would have put our second stringers on the court and beaten the #6 team in the country.

It's not like LB could have rolled Jean-Michel Mudiay out there to beat Cincy. That is what is being asked of Jank.

And I don't think that we beat Wichita State on road if LB had coached that game. He would have pulled any shooter who dared to take consecutive 3 pointers.

Larry also never would have lost to a crappy NIU team and Western Kentucky in Atlantis or Tulane/Temple this year.

No - Larry chose to lose to a crappy USF team (12-20 record), the worst Temple team (9-22 final record) in decades, along with laying an egg against an average (17-16) Houston team in the first round of the conference tournament.

That cost two future NBA players and Nic Moore the chance at the NCAA tournament.

WKU, Tulane and Temple are legit post season possibilities in NIT at least - if not NCAA bubble teams. All three of those teams have a better shot than us at this point.

Jank and LB were a really nice combo to a certain extent because they were able to play good cop bad cop.

Jank needs a bad cop to light a fire under the team when they are going through the motions. Sterling lit that fire the last couple of years. We don't have that leader who will drive the others right now.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:41 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
PonyTime wrote:If LB were the HC on Sunday night we would have lost by same margin.

It's not like Larry's teams were so deep (before sanctions) that we would have put our second stringers on the court and beaten the #6 team in the country.

It's not like LB could have rolled Jean-Michel Mudiay out there to beat Cincy. That is what is being asked of Jank.

And I don't think that we beat Wichita State on road if LB had coached that game. He would have pulled any shooter who dared to take consecutive 3 pointers.

Larry also never would have lost to a crappy NIU team and Western Kentucky in Atlantis or Tulane/Temple this year.

touche
SoCal_Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:02 pm

What exactly are the recruiting restrictions that Jenk is under compared to what other schools can do?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Terry Webster wrote:What exactly are the recruiting restrictions that Jenk is under compared to what other schools can do?

They have eased this year I believe. Up until this year, there were significant restrictions on contacts and visits. 2016 and 2017 were nearly impossible to get out and recruit and scout in person and I think the early 2018 class was impacted as well. I believe we had restrictions even on going out and watching tourneys. It is one of the reasons behind the change in focus to the DFW area - we were restricted on visits and travel and everything and did what we could to survive. We will get out a lot more from here on out.
JasonB

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:11 am

I’m just going to make one more point and then im actually going to wait and see how we look next year and the year after.

Compare this team, remembering what it did at close to full strength and where it is now, with Texas and Shaka Smart. Shaka has killed it on the recruiting trail and then underachieved like crazy.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:33 am

hoopmanx wrote:He shouldnt be fired or anything, but he needs to be made accountable moving forward. No more blaming injuries b/c HIS next man up isn't close to good enough. Get better back-ups. No more sanction cry-babying, cause teams play 7 or 8 and only go 10 deep on rare occasion. If 6-10 didnt stink right now, not having 13 wouldn't be the issue he wants to make it out to be.

As the great Gary Williams used to say, its not about who you miss on the trail, its who you get who can't play.

This is fair, but in the context of SMU basketball I think he's earned at least another full season to show us what he can do. The injuries might be covering up some more subtle flaws, but they are more extreme than most teams face in a single season.

At this point I'll sell my soul to the guy that can get us even a single NCAA tournament win tough...
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:55 am

SMU Section F wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:He shouldnt be fired or anything, but he needs to be made accountable moving forward. No more blaming injuries b/c HIS next man up isn't close to good enough. Get better back-ups. No more sanction cry-babying, cause teams play 7 or 8 and only go 10 deep on rare occasion. If 6-10 didnt stink right now, not having 13 wouldn't be the issue he wants to make it out to be.

As the great Gary Williams used to say, its not about who you miss on the trail, its who you get who can't play.

This is fair, but in the context of SMU basketball I think he's earned at least another full season to show us what he can do. The injuries might be covering up some more subtle flaws, but they are more extreme than most teams face in a single season.

At this point I'll sell my soul to the guy that can get us even a single NCAA tournament win tough...

Only one person on the planet is alive who meets your qualifications and I really don't think that selling your soul to Dave Bliss is a very good idea. In fact, I strenuously advise against that deal.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:37 am

PonyTime wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:

Only one person on the planet is alive who meets your qualifications and I really don't think that selling your soul to Dave Bliss is a very good idea. In fact, I strenuously advise against that deal.

lol Fair enough. I should have said "our next NCAA tournament win".
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm

One of the more interesting discussions I've read on PF in a while.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby smusportspage » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 pm

Just for a little perspective. Here is a quote taken off the Cincinnati Bearcat Message Board:
Right. Tim Jankovich is one of the most underrated coaches out there. Unfortunately he has to clean up Larry Browns mess. Theres only so much you can do when you have 6 scholarship players.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby smitty329 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Since we are not a P5 program, you are not going to have the level of quality in the 8 to 11 positions you see other places - they are going to go somewhere else where they are the 4 to 7 positions.
smitty329
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 am

First of all I’d like to complement myself on the timing of my Mexican vacation and lmited internet service.

Second:

“RAZOR BLADES HERE....Get your razor blades.....going fast...”
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:First of all I’d like to complement myself on the timing of my Mexican vacation and lmited internet service.

Second:

“RAZOR BLADES HERE....Get your razor blades.....going fast...”

Cabo San Lucas?
One Trick Pony

Postby ponypatrick » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:53 pm

PonyTime wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:

No - Larry chose to lose to a crappy USF team (12-20 record), the worst Temple team (9-22 final record) in decades, along with laying an egg against an average (17-16) Houston team in the first round of the conference tournament.

That cost two future NBA players and Nic Moore the chance at the NCAA tournament.

WKU, Tulane and Temple are legit post season possibilities in NIT at least - if not NCAA bubble teams. All three of those teams have a better shot than us at this point.

Great comments.................leave Jank alone !!!.....his total package (not just wins and losses)

is as good as any bb coach we've had since E.O."Doc" Hayes. Yes , I'm an old guy :D
ponypatrick
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball