PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will They Come Home?

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Will They Come Home?

Postby The Falcon » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:47 am

It is interesting that SMU is pursuing several basketball players that all have connections
to SMU.

Matt Timme played for SMU and lives in Richardson; his son Drew Timme plays for Richardson
Pearce. He is 6' 10" has great moves around the basket and shoots with right or left. He also
shoots an occasional 3. Some people have called him a beast. Sounds like someone we
might need. He might be a project or he might really be a Beast. SMU has offered as have
several other schools including Gonzaga. Timme has been known to say that he might be
Gonzaga's next big man. Anyone have any inside info on his choice?

Rod Hampton played guard for SMU back in the day. His son is playing for Little Elm H.S.
and has been very impressive as a 6' 4" point guard. He is receiving several offers including
one from SMU. Do you think Dad could convince him to play for SMU. Not sure at this point.

Tyrone Maxey is currently a coach on our basketball team with the title "Director of Recruiting."
His son T. Maxey is playing for the Texas State High School 6A semifinals of the championship
tournament. He is rated as either the No.1 or No.2 point guard in the nation. Many schools
are after him - How good is Dad as the director of recruiting? I guess we'll see.

Of course I have mentioned this before but Jank has a young son who played shooting guard for Dallas Jesuit the past couple of years. He has been outstanding on a team that played in
the 6A UIL regional quarterfinals. In one game he hit 30 points and had 10 boards. Because his
dad works for SMU he could get an SMU dependent of an employee stipend, he could play for SMU without using a basketball scholarship which would really help our depth situation. Sometimes father/son connections don't work well relative to playing sports. I wonder what they talk about?

This last one doesn't really have an SMU connection that I know of, but we have offered to a very
good Juco combo guard named Wendell Mitchell who played for Trinity Valley Jr. College. He
started out at Baylor, but the word is that he didn't like Scott Drew that much and he left.
He selected Baylor over many other good offers because he wanted to stay close to home. I
believe he is from Rockdale Tx. He is being sought be a number of other schools. Do we have
a chance?

Jank, and Timme are high school seniors and Mitchell is a Juco so they could all be on our
campus next year - or - maybe not. Anyone have any more info?
The Falcon
All-American

Re: Will They Come Home?

Postby Stallion » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Maxey scored 46 yesterday tying a 71 year old State Tournament record but South Garland lost in OT of the 6A State Semifinals
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:42 pm

247 has Timme listed as a 2019 prospect.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:51 pm

I hope young Jank will come as a walk on after seeing what Dad had to go through this year with depth issues, but can certainly understand his going somewhere else if he doesn't want to be the coach's son and wants to be a starter and "go to" guy. Haven't seen him play so don't know what his on court personality is.
Charleston Pony

Postby The Falcon » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:25 pm

mustangxc wrote:247 has Timme listed as a 2019 prospect.

My error. You are correct - Timme is a Junior.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I hope young Jank will come as a walk on after seeing what Dad had to go through this year with depth issues, but can certainly understand his going somewhere else if he doesn't want to be the coach's son and wants to be a starter and "go to" guy. Haven't seen him play so don't know what his on court personality is.

Jank has stated it would be difficult to coach his son.

Most of this discussion has been answered on SMU 247.
smupony94

Postby The Falcon » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:16 pm

smupony94 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I hope young Jank will come as a walk on after seeing what Dad had to go through this year with depth issues, but can certainly understand his going somewhere else if he doesn't want to be the coach's son and wants to be a starter and "go to" guy. Haven't seen him play so don't know what his on court personality is.

Jank has stated it would be difficult to coach his son.

Most of this discussion has been answered on SMU 247.

I have heard what you are saying about Jank & son; however, it might be worth it to
bite the bullet because of our scholarship limitations. That might override the other
situation.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Vitale » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:30 pm

So Jank would have difficulty coaching his son.

I wonder how Junior Jank would like playing for his dad. I expect my dad would have found it difficult to coach me, too (and not just because I never matched his basketball ability), but I would have done anything in the world to play for him.

Just a thought.
Vitale
All-American

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 am

Seems to me that if he is good enough to get minutes, he should come to SMU. If he wants to coach, he should play for his dad. If he needs more minutes and wants to try Pro, then he can transfer. Of course there is that little thing called an SMU degree which I have found to be pretty special. My bet, SMU as a freshman.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 am

I do not think a degree from the Ivy League schools he is considering would be bad.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smustatesman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Why is it that SMU has no ivy growing on any of its campus walls ?
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:04 pm

We just missed on a big one. Maxeys teammate Chris Harris. Committed to aggy. Yikes
Pony ^

Postby malonish » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 am

smustatesman wrote:Why is it that SMU has no ivy growing on any of its campus walls ?

The yuge landscaping budget covers Ivy removal.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 am

Pony ^ wrote:We just missed on a big e. Maxeys teammate Chris Harris. Committed to aggy. Yikes

If you 'miss' on someone who wasn't a top target is it really a miss?
smupony94

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:41 pm

I don't think SMU has much of a chance but we forgot Cade Cunningham who is Caneen Cunningham's brother. 4 star National Top 20
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Next

Return to Recruiting