PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

POLL: Deadline passed... what did you wind up doing?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2018-19 basketball season tickets - what did you do

Increased donation & keeping tix
18%
Kept donation level same & keeping tix
18%
Donating less but keeping tix
1%
Will not have season tickets
63%

Total votes : 68

Re: POLL: Deadline passed... what did you wind up doing?

Postby skyscraper » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:30 pm

I have to say I'm surprised so many actually dropped their season tickets. Wasn't really expecting these numbers on the poll.
While I respect mrydel, his analysis and takeaways are very wrong for the reasons Stallion stated.
For better or worse, it looks like attendance will be driven by the team's performance since it appears a decent chunk of fans are now single-ticket game purchasers.
If these poll numbers extrapolate out to Moody as a whole, there will be a lot of 1/3 to half full non-conference games in November and December.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:33 pm

smupony94 wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:Reeks of a Money Grab

Of course it is and many of our fans aren't willing to pay market rate for tickets

I would consider "Market Rate" to include comparisons to other programs in our conference who are not perennial NCAA tournament visitors like UCONN, Cincy, Memphis, Wichita.

Tulane and Central Florida have talented teams with future 1st/2nd round NBA talent on the court. What are they charging?

Houston has a brand new arena, success in the NCAA tournament, and possible 2nd rounder in NBA draft. They have been to post-season 9 of last 14 seasons with 2 NCAAs. What are they charging?

Donation to sit court-side? $500

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-baskbl/SeasonTickets.html?_ga=2.76456860.840076285.1522862861-984356212.1522862861
Last edited by PonyTime on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:41 pm

smupony94 wrote:

Of course it is and many of our fans aren't willing to pay market rate for tickets

I am normally with 94 but my tickets would have been like 3-4 times market value in all honesty - maybe more.

That being said, I would have gladly paid if I knew I was getting my seats.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby RI Stang » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:55 pm

skyscraper wrote:since it appears a decent chunk of fans are now single-ticket game purchasers.

What is this assumption based on? I assume more than the incredibly small sample size poll on this thread?
RI Stang
All-American

Postby skyscraper » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Yes it is only based on this poll, which is why there's a qualifier there.
If more than half the hardcore fanbase of this board has said they've ditched their tickets, that's not great news. I'm not celebrating it, just looking at it analytically. If your core supporters are now single-ticket buyers that's potentially hundreds of people.
skyscraper

Postby RI Stang » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:19 pm

"Potentially" yes, but I'm not so sure that this board is indicative of the fan base at large. Would be interested to see the results from a similar poll over at Scout. Fair or not, this board is known for being a bit over the top and taking things to the extreme, driving quite a few core supporters to other places for news and discussion when it comes to SMU athletics (namely football and men's basketball obviously).
RI Stang
All-American

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:33 pm

Seems to me that most every game thread last season mentioned all the empty seats. I just do not see attendance changing in relation to anything other than our team’s performance.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:39 pm

The other impact here is that originally people were allowed to buy a ton of seats. And those went unused. Now there is a limit of 4 per account.

I've always made one donation and used it across football and basketball. I didn't change my donation amount and will wait and hear where my seats might be before renewing.

But I know next to nothing because I was travelling for work every time they set up a session.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:42 pm

The tickets owned by big buck donors will probably will most likely be used. The only thing I worry about with that is the all too common practice of handing them off to business associates who have loyalties to the opponent. That was very common in Ford in 104.
mrydel

Postby smupony94 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:56 pm

mrydel wrote:The tickets owned by big buck donors will probably will most likely be used. The only thing I worry about with that is the all too common practice of handing them off to business associates who have loyalties to the opponent. That was very common in Ford in 104.

TCU clothes wearing nephew is applying to SMU and has it as his top school - yes I am pushing that hard

He went on a tour recently and the tourguide laughed he knew more about Ford and Moody than she did
smupony94

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:02 pm

Good for him. I have a granddaughter dead set on attending TCU much to my dismay and that of her UT dad.
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Well my granddaughter is dancing there this weekend, I won't be in attendance because it's an 8 a.m. deal lol
One Trick Pony

Postby Julian Grendel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:22 pm

PonyTime wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

I would consider "Market Rate" to include comparisons to other programs in our conference who are not perennial NCAA tournament visitors like UCONN, Cincy, Memphis, Wichita.

Tulane and Central Florida have talented teams with future 1st/2nd round NBA talent on the court. What are they charging?

Houston has a brand new arena, success in the NCAA tournament, and possible 2nd rounder in NBA draft. They have been to post-season 9 of last 14 seasons with 2 NCAAs. What are they charging?

Donation to sit court-side? $500

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-baskbl/SeasonTickets.html?_ga=2.76456860.840076285.1522862861-984356212.1522862861
Hate to be irresponsible and throw facts out there, but for the right to buy those coog floor seats it's a 50k capital gift PER SEAT requirement. Loge are 30k per two seats and club which sound about like my SMU seats require 10k per seat.

Their process sounds similar too.
http://uhcougarpride.com/fertittacenter ... works.html
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:34 pm

mrydel wrote:Good for him. I have a granddaughter dead set on attending TCU much to my dismay and that of her UT dad.

Intervention is required.
ponyboy

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:10 am

[/quote]Hate to be irresponsible and throw facts out there, but for the right to buy those coog floor seats it's a 50k capital gift PER SEAT requirement. [/quote]
Your franchise has gotta sell a lot of Slurpees to fork over that kind of cash.
Bergermeister

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball