PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Student Media Gone

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Student Media Gone

Postby Greenwich Pony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:48 pm

...And we're losing the Daily Campus and apparently the Rotunda. I know things are tough for the media, especially print, but come on. I have had my issues with the DC over the years, but a free student press is an important learning experience in communications and media. Really, REALLY concerned about the competence of the administration and the Board at this juncture. I'm sure someone is going to argue it's a money issue. If keeping the student paper and yearbook running is a money issue and the school is so tight on funding, then why are we building a beautiful football practice facility (in the wrong place)? We need to focus our funding less on fountains or event centers and more on the academic mission.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Re: Student Media Gone

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:52 pm

This is shocking and sad news!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:59 pm

One Trick Pony

Postby Greenwich Pony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Cute, One Trick. And maybe appropriate. I guess there have been a growing string of decisions that maybe individually are minor screw-ups on their own, but are not adding up to realizing our potential. We pay our administration an obscene amount of money and I'm seeing less and less ROI over the years. I may not have donated a building, but over the course of twenty-five years I have been very supportive of the school and have contributed comfortably in the six figures despite not living within a thousand miles of campus since graduation. It is not like I sit back and don't put my money where my mouth is. I would be far more tolerant of the sad circus that is our athletics department if at least the administration held up it's end of the bargain about moving the university toward higher academic rankings and better reputation, but for every step forward we take towards that goal, we seem to then take two and half steps backwards. The fountains are nice, and I guess we have a lot more events on campus than I remember, but I'd rather be in the 40's or dare to dream, 30's in rankings and we are not going to get there with a dead student media, dead university press, and the general stagnation that seems to be going everywhere else with our resources. AND this stagnation is happening in Dallas, theoretically one of the wealthiest and fastest growing hubs in the country (or so our recruiting literature crows). Maybe I'm the only one who thinks there needs to be a change. I really would hate to have to vote with my feet and my wallet because I deeply care about SMU, but it gets harder with every stupid decision or botched opportunity.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:38 pm

Daily Campus Editorial

"As the editorial team for the final print season of the SMU Campus Weekly, we are sad to see our paper drift off into the digital age. We wish all the very best to the new editors who will lead our journalists into the next year of reporting online only with The Daily Campus and hold a tepid hope for the future of the free press on SMU’s campus."

http://www.smudailycampus.com/opinion/t ... ess-of-smu

It looks like they are getting rid of the print version and instead changing it to an online version overseen by the Journalism Department-what will the kids read during class?

Honestly, I've never seen anybody under 25 actually pick up a newspaper.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:50 pm

What's a paper?
One Trick Pony

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Something you wipe your [deleted] with.
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:07 pm

I spend an hour reading mine each morning. I do not intend to change until they quit printing.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:11 pm

But where do you get your Domino's and Joe Willy's coupons then????
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:11 pm

And stay off my lawn.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonySnob » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 pm

IPad
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mtrout » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:39 am

Stallion wrote:We wish all the very best to the new editors who will lead our journalists into the next year ofreporting online only with The Daily Campus and hold a tepid hope for the future of the free press on SMU’s campus”

Well that’s encouraging. I bet they sold it as a “world changers shaped here” action. Or maybe it was a title ix issue. Too many males involved in printing.

Textbook smu move.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby midwestpony » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:29 pm

As mentioned by others it will exist in online form. The duties and oversight to my understanding will shift to the journalism school. Most people I know only ever read the online articles anyway.
midwestpony
Recruit

Postby PonySnob » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:58 pm

Better for the environment anyways
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby gostangs » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:55 pm

so in other words - yet another complete overreaction by Greenwich on a topic he really isn't very informed about.
gostangs

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop