PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sterling Police Update

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sterling Police Update

Postby Mestengo » Thu May 24, 2018 10:31 am

Video has been seen over a million times since yesterday. Media thrives on it.
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 am

As much as I love Sterling, he definitely has a temper - so I have to admit I turned on the video expecting to see an event of his own making. In reality is was the opposite - the policeman who first arrived totally bungled that entire situation and caused his department to have a black eye that could have been avoided with a simple ticket.

Really disgraceful, and has me rethinking my own bias.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu May 24, 2018 11:55 am

mustangxc wrote:FTP! Just write him a ticket and move on! There is no reason for the cop's attitude, which is really what this was all about.

I don't think so at all, but I will qualify that statement with the fact that I didn't watch the video, nor do I intend to.

I suspect the real issue here is original cop was a turd and other cops (and even later more cops) didn't intervene and de-escalate the situation. They allowed it to play out.

So the police aren't policing themselves, but they certaintly will police someone who parks in a handicap spot on a cold 2am morning.

OTP is 100% correct in his posts. He gets it. That cop would have done that to any of us, although I suspect it doesn't help that Sterling is black and that he didn't back down (per comments people are making).

That is the reality of virtually every police force in America today.
SoCal_Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:OTP is 100% correct in his posts.

:shock: wow
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu May 24, 2018 12:23 pm

I will share a story that I find amusing.

Shanghai China is a city about 1/4th the land mass of the DFW Metroplex but with a population much higher than the entire state of Texas (add 2 San Antonio's to Texas and Texas is still less in population to Shanghai).

Until recently, the Shanghai police did not carry weapons. This may have changed after recent Muslim terriorist attacks in public areas like a machete attack at a subway station a couple of years ago. But without weapons, police are referred to as 'empty hands', they have no power. I have witnessed police writing traffic tickets to Shanghai taxi drivers, many of whom exhibit 'Sterling Brown' aggressiveness.

It's a real spectacle. Taxi driver wagging finger 1 inch from policeman's face, screaming at him but not touching him. Maybe there is a crowd of 20 people gathered around, all laughing at the taxi driver insulting the policeman. Somehow is works. Of course that WOULDN'T work in America.

Also, never ever offend the military police in China, the ones that carry the guns. But the everyday policeman in Shanghai is MUCH more approachable than the policeman in America.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu May 24, 2018 12:33 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:

LA, he's saying he doesn't particularly like them, but he's always non-confrontational with them because they can jack you up.

As I say, people will focus on the 'turd' cop. I say, what about the countless other cops who enable that behavior time and time again. This reality is not going to change in our lifetimes, I really don't see it.
SoCal_Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu May 24, 2018 12:34 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:

Lol
One Trick Pony

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu May 24, 2018 12:35 pm

This made the international news.

This country has problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu May 24, 2018 12:39 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:This made the international news.

Yesterday that video had 420 views
It will have five million by the end of next week.

Here's the thing the city will settle out of court for probably 2 million Sterling will get his change for being tased.

But what's really unfortunate is that this young man's career has just started, but it will always be tainted with opposing fans yelling s*** like don't tase me bro.
And it will never go away. That video and incident will be connected his entire professional career, and after.
One Trick Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu May 24, 2018 1:03 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:This made the international news.

Yesterday that video had 420 views

Here's the thing the city will settle out of court for probably 2 million Sterling will get his change for being tased.

But what's really unfortunate is that this young man's career has just started, but it will always be tainted with opposing fans yelling s*** like don't tase me bro.
And it will never go away. That video and incident will be connected his entire professional career, and after.

Nah. Pro athletes should have thicker skin than that. They hear far worse. I say the Bucks should change his uni number from 23 to +/- and just move on.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby 1017 Mustang » Thu May 24, 2018 1:10 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Yesterday that video had 420 views

But what's really unfortunate is that this young man's career has just began but it will always be tainted with opposing fans yelling s*** like don't tase me bro.

The first unfortunate thing is that Sterling Brown got harassed, thrown to the ground and tased at 2 AM. The second unfortunate thing is that people are okay with 2 million dollars of American tax payer money subsidizing a cop trying to stir something up.

How many school programs is that? How many other municipal functions in the city could be served with the $2 million dollars being given to a professional athlete? What was the best outcome of that interaction from a city standpoint? Maybe a 500 dollar ticket--tops.

In any other situation--if someone said 6 SMU cops showed up, tackeld and tazed an SMU student after double parking in front of our CVS people would be talking about police reforms. This has absolutely nothing to do with what we all hope is a successful basketball career for Sterling. But we are all lucky that Sterling Brown didn't get RIGHTFULLY upset and wind up murdered.
1017 Mustang
Recruit

Postby skyscraper » Thu May 24, 2018 2:20 pm

I feel horrible for Sterling.
Such an incredible overreaction by the cops for such a minor "issue" of his parking.
I thought he handled himself admirably considering the cops were doing everything they could to provoke him.
The police chief's press conference where he took no questions and wouldn't give any details was pathetic. I'm sure the officers involved spent a few days pushing paperwork as punishment and are back on the streets.
Sterling is about to get PAID.
skyscraper

Postby 1017 Mustang » Thu May 24, 2018 2:48 pm

1017 Mustang
Recruit

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu May 24, 2018 2:49 pm

1017 Mustang wrote:The second unfortunate thing is that people are okay with 2 million dollars of American tax payer money subsidizing a cop trying to stir something up.

How many school programs is that? How many other municipal functions in the city could be served with the $2 million dollars being given to a professional athlete? What was the best outcome of that interaction from a city standpoint? Maybe a 500 dollar ticket--tops.

Per LA Times: The Los Angeles Police Department paid nearly $81 million in legal settlements last fiscal year, a sharp increase as the city closed the books on several high-profile and costly cases. Hyams said he expects that number to be lower by June 30, the end of this fiscal year. Payouts are running about $19 million so far this year, mostly driven by a series of large police shooting settlements.

Also, I have to respond to that $500 ticket —tops comment. Most PF users would groan about it and move on, but for most Americans that is a severe financial hardship. I personally think it’s BS how expensive ‘tickets’ are today. Don’t park in handicap spots, I get it. But don’t fine us excessively either.
SoCal_Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu May 24, 2018 3:24 pm

1017 Mustang wrote:Image

Ha ha I dig SpongeBob
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball