PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

3rd from Louisiana

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

3rd from Louisiana

Postby panhandle_pony » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:18 am

Don’t see on board, but a few days ago recruiting sites announced Elijah Chatman
panhandle_pony
All-American

Re: 3rd from Louisiana

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:58 am

From the Shreveport Times:

...the room was the site of a record setting performance by Eagles’ junior Elijah Chatman, a modest young man with an outsized ability to potentially do great things. Chatman is the defensive lineman who stepped up his game last fall when LSU signee Davin Cotton went down with a leg injury. The 6-foot-1, 245-pound Chatman made another significant contribution to Evangel lore Wednesday in front of his teammates and at least one special guest.

With the weight room rocking and rolling as about 50 teenagers went through their lifting stations, Chatman started his morning routine at the squat where he was pushed to the limit by raising nearly 700 pounds of iron.

“It’s hard for the bar to hold that much,” said an impressed Evangel coach Byron Dawson.

But that squat merely set the stage for Chatman’s record-setting bench press, something he has pursued for more than a year.

The bar for that lift was set during the 2002 school year when former Eagle Chase Pittman was a senior before moving on to LSU. Pittman had decided to attempt a record 440-pound bench press in honor of his late brother, Cole, who had played in jersey No. 44. Cole Pittman died in a car crash a year earlier while on the way to Austin for spring training with the University of Texas football team.

Pittman was able to bench 440 pounds during the 2002 Lift-a-Thon at Evangel and a picture-plaque on the wall in the field house commemorates the 16-year-old feat. He was on hand early Wednesday morning to see if Chatman could surpass his mark.

“Honestly, I had no idea I still held the record,” Pittman said outside the weight room. “Coach (Byron) Dawson called me a few days ago and told me there was a guy here who was going to smash it.”

Rest of the story. Good stuff:
https://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2018/04/11/evangels-elijah-chatman-surpasses-pittman-record/509132002/
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:03 am

Notice to opposing OLs... Good luck moving THAT guy. Geez! :shock:
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby 3rdGenPony » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:11 am

No doubt! And a 3.9 gpa to boot.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby No Quarter » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:50 am

Sounds like a great commitment and I hope we get his name on the line when the time comes. His brother's death is tragic and I hope the family has found some comfort. I would think that UT will continue to recruit him.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby SMUPhil » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:25 am

No Quarter wrote:Sounds like a great commitment and I hope we get his name on the line when the time comes. His brother's death is tragic and I hope the family has found some comfort. I would think that UT will continue to recruit him.

That's not the guy we're recruiting, that was the guy who held the previous bench press record at the same high school.
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Not big enough to attract a lot of attention from P5 schools but with that kind of strength, sounds like he could be a classic over achiever and a good signing if he sticks with SMU
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoss » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:23 pm

455 bench in 11th grade???
Hoss
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:39 pm

I knew a kid who could bench 375
As a junior and only weighed 168
Could curl 185 10 times too.
Nowhere near a 3.9 however
One Trick Pony

Postby BUS » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:29 am

With the size he is now.... In a 4-3 defense he could be an awesome middle LB.
Or even a fullback.

If he grows he seems to have the skills to go to the D-line.

Super Strong young one.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Return to Recruiting