PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Billboards

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Billboards

Postby Topper » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:47 pm

Like many of you I don't keep up with this board much until football season rolls around so this topic may have been already beaten to death. That said, I am happy to see billboards for SMU football at various locations, particularly along I-35. But I think they could be improved. I just saw one today and it really disappointed. There was a game still photo and some text about SMU football being a stampede. The picture was too busy for a billboard and nothing much else about it left me inspired. I hate to say it but Baylor has some really good, simple graphics on their billboards around Waco and they really catch the attention of drivers. A lot of people in Austin were born after the SWC broke up and have little or no idea where SMU is even located. I wish that the billboards were a little bolder with a simple message in large letters connecting SMU to Dallas. I didn't get a degree in advertising but I see a lot of billboards.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Billboards

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:18 pm

"knuckle up!" TCU billboard/banners in Fort Worth.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Bergermeister wrote:"knuckle up!" TCU billboard/banners in Fort Worth.

Better than knuckle deep
smupony94

Postby Otto » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:25 pm

I heard there are going to be more this year in Houston and San Antonio. True?
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:52 pm

Otto wrote:I heard there are going to be more this year in Houston and San Antonio. True?

I saw one tonight on I-45 heading south into downtown Houston. However instead of football, it was a picture of a team huddle during a basketball game. Good photo and easy to read the URL.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:46 pm

You can thank brad Thomas for those. And a group of loyal donors.
gostangs

Postby BUS » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:16 am

If it were not for the (again) big donations of just a few people (some of which came to SMU later in life), none of this advertising would be done.

SMU has faults but we should thank those friends and alumni that fund this advertising.

Everything can get better.

Beat unt!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby gostangs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:52 pm

I know of no faults. Other than our AThletic departmeant doesn't see the need to do this without outside pressure.
gostangs

Postby MustangFan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:31 am

I always resent billboards from other schools that pop up in Dallas (the sign I see on the way home from work touting something about Baylor makes me nauseous), but they do their job: they make me look and wonder what that other school has that I should care about. So regardless of how these are funded, getting our name out in these other cities is huge. This has to be a long-standing thing.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby CA Mustang » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:03 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
Otto wrote:I heard there are going to be more this year in Houston and San Antonio. True?

I saw one tonight on I-45 heading south into downtown Houston. However instead of football, it was a picture of a team huddle during a basketball game. Good photo and easy to read the URL.

I noticed today they also have the same billboard on northbound I-45, about a mile or two south of Hobby Airport.
Last edited by CA Mustang on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby AustinPerson » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:08 pm

There's one in north Austin on I-35. It's impossible to read it. The only people who would notice it are loyal Ponyfans posters. I was in a car with an SMU alum the other day, and he didn't notice it.

Maybe we need to work with Baylor's advertising department to learn how to make effective ads? Maybe work with TCU's MBA program to learn how to effectively spend advertising dollars to grow our brand?
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:23 pm

I ran for public office numerous times in my life (and always won handily) and I think I understand the basics of getting the message out. It's amazing how so many miss the point in advertising of getting a message across simply and quickly as most people only give ads a passing glance. Plus, in billboards the message must be dramatic..and simple.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby BUS » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:38 am

Dilly Dilly Arkpony.

SMU = AWESOME
Overprinted on a Shiny football helmet. The one with the mustang in US flag.

Copywright BUS 2018
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Topper » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:21 pm

Arkpony wrote:I ran for public office numerous times in my life (and always won handily) and I think I understand the basics of getting the message out. It's amazing how so many miss the point in advertising of getting a message across simply and quickly as most people only give ads a passing glance. Plus, in billboards the message must be dramatic..and simple.

Exactly. I think that it is great that we have entered the billboard race. Maybe you can share your experience with the advertising people. I worked for a politician who never lost a race. He was lower on the ballot and name ID was everything. I think the same is true for SMU given that we are not in a P5 conference and, as I pointed out earlier, I am always talking to people who don't even know that we are located in Dallas.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:55 pm

CA Mustang wrote:

Where is it? Do you remember a cross street?
ponyboy

Next

Return to Football