PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Liberal Arts Majors: What Do You for a Living?

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Liberal Arts Majors: What Do You for a Living?

Postby ponyboy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:19 am

I take part in career panel discussions from time to time, including one a couple of years back at SMU. So I'm curious:

What was your major and what are you doing now? Was it a difficult path -- or did you roll right in to grad school in a discipline related to your undergraduate studies? And are you happy in your chosen profession?
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU Liberal Arts Majors: What Do You for a Living?

Postby PonyTime » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:59 am

This is the program Ben Hicks is pursuing.
Last edited by PonyTime on Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Attorney
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby dalpony » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:40 am

Attorney
dalpony
Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:22 am

Beach Bum
One Trick Pony

Postby PK » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:16 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Beach Bum

Winner...when you can afford it. 8)
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:02 pm

Majored in History and Medieval Studies.

Am an attorney and CEO of a communications company. It took hard work and time, but I'm happy and the job certainly is a new challenge every day.

All joking aside, (I don't get to quote Peter Abelard every day), I do use the skill set taught by a liberal arts degree virtually every day.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby dcpony » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:22 pm

I'm currently a reporter for a national business news outlet. I've also worked in public relations for a telecom trade industry group, international law firm and as a Democratic Party consultant.

Looking back at my time at SMU, I'd say the rigorous analytical writing requirements in many of my classes helped me get into grad school, and definitely helped me stand out compared to my peers who majored in journalism, public relations and business.

On a side note, many of my MBA buddies who are in middle and upper management at major corporations around the country have complained to me about how younger workers they manage, especially those who've gone the BBA route, seem to not know how to write emails in complete sentences, much less write a memo.
dcpony
All-American

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:41 pm

"those who've gone the BBA route seem to not know how to write emails in complete sentences, much less write a memo." But they have a marketable degree. Haha.

My wife double majored at a liberal arts school and now teaches in Dedman College.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:24 am

dcpony wrote:On a side note, many of my MBA buddies who are in middle and upper management at major corporations around the country have complained to me about how younger workers they manage, especially those who've gone the BBA route, seem to not know how to write emails in complete sentences, much less write a memo.

Tell them to stop hiring TCU BBAs into their companies! JK - I really think it is a millennial thing and not just the business majors - you have to have observed how even journalism has changed and what now qualifies as journalism today vs 20 years ago.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusportspage » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:02 am

"you have to have observed how even journalism has changed and what now qualifies as journalism today vs 20 years ago."

One of my pet peeves with today's journalism is the overuse of the "unnamed source". I get why it is used as a journalistic tool but it is very disingenuous for the most part and leads to lazy journalism.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:32 am

My pet peeve is the requirement that you conform to a particular political bent. Journalists are supposed to report and not bring personal opinion, however enlightened and straight-from-the-gods that opinion might be. I'm shocked to find it's happening down at Baylor, of all places. My son's a journalism major and he is de facto required to subscribe to a set of political opinions in order to pass. Pretty sad, regardless which side of the political fence you are standing on.
ponyboy

Postby smusportspage » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Very sad that is the case at Baylor but I am not surprised.
Last edited by smusportspage on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:26 pm

"Journalists are supposed to report and not bring personal opinion, however enlightened and straight-from-the-gods that opinion might be."

In the words of UT Journalism major Walter Cronkite-that's a bunch of bull-crap. Regurgitating facts is not journalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcSeecx-Z1E
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby horsemanx » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:33 pm

ponyboy wrote:I'm shocked to find it's happening down at Baylor, of all places. My son's a journalism major and he is de facto required to subscribe to a set of political opinions in order to pass. Pretty sad, regardless which side of the political fence you are standing on.

That is just ridiculous! With the lack of neutralism in reporting there is basically no watchable or readable news anymore and it sounds like they are teaching the next generation of journalists the same way. Scary.

Not too surprised to hear this is happening at Baylor though when you look at their recent hypocritical past.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop