PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Liberal Arts Majors: What Do You for a Living?

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU Liberal Arts Majors: What Do You for a Living?

Postby mrydel » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:16 pm

Stallion wrote:"Journalists are supposed to report and not bring personal opinion, however enlightened and straight-from-the-gods that opinion might be."

In the words of UT Journalism major Walter Cronkite-that's a bunch of bull-crap. Regurgitating facts is not journalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcSeecx-Z1E

Come on counselor, that was clearly a commentary and not journalistic reporting of facts. Don’t you have to provide supporting evidence when you are in the courtroom? I believe journalist should have proven sources before reporting their news.

Independent commentaries are fine when addressed as such.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:45 pm

Here is one man's list of the 25 Greatest Journalists in American History-add your own if you want. You tell me which ones stuck the "journalistic reporting of facts". If you want regurgitation of facts read the AP News feed. Freedom of Press in the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights was designed to foster rigorous clash of opinions, articulate debate of matters of public interest and especially investigation of the excesses of the government. The essential, revolutionary difference between the American form of government embodied in the First Amendment (rights of freedom of expression, freedom of the press , the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government) was that the clash of freely expressed ideas would produce the best result.

https://journalismdegree.org/2009/25-mo ... n-history/
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Stallion » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:48 pm

Here's a great example of the rigorous clash of ideas between the Press and "the government" considered one of the greatest moments in American journalism:

Edward R. Murrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEvEmkMNYHY

Senator Joseph McCarthy responds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnKTgmOJr78

The American public are not adequately informed by the rote regurgitation of bland facts. They are informed by the clash of ideas.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:41 pm

There is reporting and then there is editorial or opinion. Again, the problem is not that opinion is given. It's when opinion is given AS fact, AS reporting that is the problem.

And surely you share my concern that my son is told you have to believe political opinion x and y in order to pass. You're not going to support indoctrination, even when it might happen to align with your political bent, right?
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:22 am

All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby dirtysouthpony » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:48 pm

My son finished from Dedman with political science degree. Also played football. He completed the MMS program at Duke. He currently works as a management consultant in Washington DC. His office is in the same building with SMU liberal arts alum, Ray Washburne.
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:12 am

I'm a management consultant too.

Washburne's in DC? I thought he was here.
ponyboy

Postby dirtysouthpony » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:05 am

He runs the Overseas Private Investment Corporation for Trump.

https://www.opic.gov
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:00 pm

I did not know that. Last time I saw him, he and SMU great Richard Neely were working together just north of downtown Dallas
ponyboy

Postby leopold » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:27 pm

- BA from Dedman in Literature and Religious Studies.
- MLS from Simmons in Humanities. Thesis was on the Impact of Philosophy on Modern Militaries, focusing primarily on Locke and Hobbes.
- Currently studying at Boston University for MA in Philosophy.

Current US Army Infantry Officer.
Last edited by leopold on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Ok, that’s very cool
ponyboy

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:42 pm

I just hope SMU has the foresight to plan for this:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/31/the-fut ... ook%7Cmain

- According to the survey Freelancing in America 2018, released Wednesday, 93 percent of freelancers with a four-year college degree say skills training was useful versus only 79 percent who say their college education was useful to the work they do now.

- Sixty-five percent of children entering primary school will end up in jobs that don't yet exist, reveals the World Economic Forum.

- The result is a proliferation of new, nontraditional education options.

Twenty million students started college this fall, and this much is certain: The vast majority of them will be taking on debt — a lot of debt.

What's less certain is whether their degrees will pay off...
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby gostangs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:10 pm

Stallion wrote:Here is one man's list of the 25 Greatest Journalists in American History-add your own if you want. You tell me which ones stuck the "journalistic reporting of facts". If you want regurgitation of facts read the AP News feed. Freedom of Press in the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights was designed to foster rigorous clash of opinions, articulate debate of matters of public interest and especially investigation of the excesses of the government. The essential, revolutionary difference between the American form of government embodied in the First Amendment (rights of freedom of expression, freedom of the press , the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government) was that the clash of freely expressed ideas would produce the best result.

https://journalismdegree.org/2009/25-mo ... n-history/

The question is whether the free expression of ideas that are obviously political is nature are supposed to come from “reporters” who most people (used to) believe have some balance. The news business has become the advocacy business which is destroying their credibility, and reducing their value.
gostangs

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:24 am

If I haven’t made it clear, let me do so now. The behavior of much of the media, but especially the New York Times, was a disgrace. I don’t believe it ever will recover the public trust it squandered.The Times’ previous reputation for having the highest standards was legitimate. Those standards were developed over decades to force reporters and editors to be fair and to gain public trust. The commitment to fairness made the New York Times the flagship of American journalism.

I say this with great sadness. I was blessed to grow up at the Times, getting a clerical job right out of college and working my way onto the reporting staff, where I worked for a decade. It was the formative experience of my career where I learned most of what I know about reporting and writing. Alas, it was a different newspaper then. Abe Rosenthal was the editor in those days, and long before we’d ever heard the phrase “zero tolerance,” that’s what Abe practiced toward conflicts of interest and reporters’ opinions. He set the rules and everybody knew it.

Here is a true story about how Abe Rosenthal resolved a conflict of interest. A young woman was hired by the Times from one of the Philadelphia newspapers. But soon after she arrived in New York, a story broke in Philly that she had had a romantic affair with a political figure she had covered, and that she had accepted a fur coat and other expensive gifts from him. When he saw the story, Abe called the woman into his office and asked her if it was true. When she said yes, he told her to clean out her desk — that she was finished at the Times and would never work there again. As word spread through the newsroom, some reporters took the woman’s side and rushed in to tell Abe that firing her was too harsh. He listened for about 30 seconds and said, in so many words, “I don’t care if you f–k an elephant on your personal time, but then you can’t cover the circus for the paper.” Case closed. The conflict-of-interest policy was clear, absolute, and unforgettable.

As for reporters’ opinions, Abe had a similar approach. He didn’t want them in the news pages. And if you put them in, he took them out. They belonged in the opinion pages only, which were managed separately. Abe said he knew reporters tended to lean left and would find ways to sneak their views into the stories. So he saw his job as steering the paper slightly to the right. “That way,” he said, “the paper would end up in the middle.” He was well known for this attitude, which he summed up as “keeping the paper straight.” He even said he wanted his epitaph to read, “He kept the paper straight.” Like most people, I thought this was a joke. But after I related all this in a column last year, his widow contacted me and said it wasn’t a joke — that, in fact, Abe’s tombstone reads, “He kept the paper straight.” She sent me a picture to prove it. I published that picture of his tombstone alongside a column where I excoriated the Times for its election coverage. Sadly, the Times’ high standards were buried with Abe Rosenthal.

Good read by Michael Goodman of the New York Post https://nypost.com/2017/07/01/why-the-media-has-broken-down-in-the-age-of-trump/
SoCal_Pony

Postby Arkpony » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Excellent SoCal! Editorial pages are for expressing opinions. News reporting is for reporting the news with no slant one way or the other.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop