PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Impact of the Indoor Practice Facility

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Impact of the Indoor Practice Facility

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:15 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:If that is really true then we should just stop playing football. It's Texas. It's hot. We are really going to spend millions of $$ so that a minuscule subset of our students, students who but for the football program wouldn't be at the school anyway, can train in cooler temperatures.

Fund the academics for God's sake. Something the "university" can benefit from. According to the last Times World College Report, SMU ranks academically in the 350-400 range globally. That's shocking for a school with the resources of SMU.

Isn't it funded through the donations specifically targeted for Football?
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Casey » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:34 pm

ponyboy wrote:NTSU is SMU in year two of JJ. They haven’t turned squat around yet

And it's going to lose Littrell in December
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:40 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:If that is really true then we should just stop playing football. It's Texas. It's hot. We are really going to spend millions of $$ so that a minuscule subset of our students, students who but for the football program wouldn't be at the school anyway, can train in cooler temperatures.

Fund the academics for God's sake. Something the "university" can benefit from. According to the last Times World College Report, SMU ranks academically in the 350-400 range globally. That's shocking for a school with the resources of SMU.

It probably is but that is a whole other problem.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 pm

I propose that everyone who has ever suggested that SMU drop football be kicked off this board.

Damn nerds
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:11 am

Mustangsabu wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:

It probably is but that is a whole other problem.

Honestly, until we see improvement from the schools outside of engineering, law and business, I don't see any one should bother donating there. Just my opinion. I rather donate to the sports programs because that's my main and pretty much only reason for coming back to campus. Outside of sports, I would only donate to Celebration of Lights. I wish the whole boulevard could be annually lit up and not just right outside Dallas hall.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:54 am

What our administrations have never really understood is the importance of athletics to SMU. TCU got it and we didin’t/don’t. I went to SMU because of Doak Walker. My son went there because of the PonyExpress. I keep coming back to the campus because of athletics. Without that...Eh!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby gostangs » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Arkpony wrote:What our administrations have never really understood is the importance of athletics to SMU. TCU got it and we didin’t/don’t. I went to SMU because of Doak Walker. My son went there because of the PonyExpress. I keep coming back to the campus because of athletics. Without that...Eh!

This is a dumb comment. You want to stop and add up all the money our university has spent on athletics? Moody redo - Miller event add on, Natatorium, IPF, Tennis, Lacrosse, golf, Football stadium plus countless additions and locker room redo's (if its been 12 months, its time for a new redo!), etc, etc. Its mind boggling for a university who is not in the top 5 conferences in the country. I think our administration is acutely aware of what athletics do for us, which is why we keep spending like drunk sailors to try to stay close to the hoop for any sort of future hope to join a real conference that will pay us a sustainable amount.
gostangs

Postby ponypatrick » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:34 pm

Stallion wrote:Indoor Practice Facility doesn't mean jack except for recruiting.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ........can tell by your silly, uninformed comment that you've never had to exert yourself
outdoors during the summer in Dallas, Texas !!!
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Don't ever underestimate the impact of the recruiting lounge.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:55 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Don't ever underestimate the impact of the recruiting lounge.

...and the media cave with the overhead projector.
Bergermeister

Postby Arkpony » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:11 pm

"This is a dumb comment."

You Sir, are entitled to your opinion just as I am mine.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby BUS » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Classy retort ArkPony.

For a dumb person that became a Federal Judge you have to be quite lucky! Don't you need a law degree first? :D

If it were not for athletics, I bet 30% of the donations to the school would have never happened.
Just my opinion.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby mrydel » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Arkpony has more SMU experience than most have years on earth.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby dalpony » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:28 pm

gostangs - in my mind, the administration is now full in - the problems is that some 15 years ago when TCU went all in we did not - the administration misjudged at that time the impact of the upcoming TV money - TCU did not and moved up accordingly and now is in the Big 12 - we slowly move forward and gradually by the time Chad arrived we committed fully to football and before that in Basketball when LB arrived - now with the IPF we are fully in - the problem is we are a little too late, hopefully when the new TV contracts are renegotiated we will be included in a major conference - right now the Big 12 is getting upwards of 30 million and we are getting about 3 - i will hop off the soap box now
dalpony
Varsity

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:13 pm

I find the points made to be interesting. And honest.

When I think about it, however, I am dismayed that people choose to give more money to athletics than to the academic side. Shows a total apathy for the actual purpose of the university. Athletics should be an extension of the college experience not the focus. Students are there to be taught and to learn. And we wonder why SMU has a negligible global academic reputation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football