PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

No. 4 SMU equestrian beats No. 5 Georgia, 11-8

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

No. 4 SMU equestrian beats No. 5 Georgia, 11-8

Postby PonyPride » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:40 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

No. 4 SMU Defeats No. 5 Georgia, 11-8

Dallas (SMU) –Despite torrential downpours over Dallas on Saturday morning (Oct. 13), No. 4 SMU defeated No. 5 Georgia at the Dallas Equestrian Center, 11-8 (1550.5-1478.5), maintaining their undefeated 3-0 record.

Ashley Mauney won Most Outstanding Player (MOP) honors for the Mustangs in Horsemanship.

At the start of the meet, SMU surged ahead, 4-1, in Equitation Over Fences. Devin Seek riding Hamilton for a score of 88, Olivia Woodson on Rosie for an 81, Nora Gray on Lux with an 87, and Vivian Yowan riding Dillon for a score of 88, earned points for SMU over fences.

Holly Lansidel notched a 72.5 on Stewie in the reining arena before the teams launched into a four hour lightning delay, as rainfall got progressively worse.

After heavy thunderstorms and flooding, due to Hurricane Sergio which made landfall in Mexico earlier this week, the meet resumed at 2:00 p.m.

Savannah Ostner for a 71 on Juice, Madison Steed with a 72.5 on Tinsel, and Aubrey Alderman riding Mercedes for a score of 71 put points on the board for SMU in reining, while Haley Zimmerman with a score of 79 on Punch and Vivian Yowan riding Hamilton for an 86 contributed a tie and a point in Equitation on the Flat, respectively.

Finally, in Horsemanship, Ashley Mauney on Dany for a 75.5, Mallory Vroegh scoring a 71 riding Ray and Haylee Schnoonover scoring a 71.5 on Shirley, won their points for the Mustangs.

The highly anticipated meet, in which two recently crowned conference champions faced off (Georgia, 2018 SEC Championship & SMU, 2018 UEC Championship), ended in a celebratory win for SMU.

"I feel like I finally have the team that can bring all four sides to the table, and I believe we proved that today," head coach Carol Gwin said. "I was very happy with the way the hunt seat rode through torrential downpours. I was also very happy at the bitter end when we needed Horsemanship to come through, they did. Well. They won 4-1. That was amazing. My reiners and my flat girls held it steady, and so it was just nice to see all four sides just really getting things done. I know flat had a loss today, but they kept us in there and they kept the momentum going. Our girls worked so hard today."

Due to weather, the team had to adjust the time of the meet on short notice.

"We started the meet almost an hour and a half earlier than we normally do," Gwin said. "They had to get here at 5 a.m. and some of them were here last night until 8 or 9 p.m. to make sure that the horses were perfectly prepared and that everything went well. I feel really lucky to have such a great group."

She also expressed appreciation for her assistant coaches, who have both won in meets against their alma maters this season.

"I want to give my hats off to Coach [McKenzie] Lantz who killed it today with her Western side and Coach [Amber] Henter who this is her third meet of her career but she's killing it as well even with a broken foot," Gwin said. "I'm very, very happy overall with the day."

In March, the last time the Mustangs and Bulldogs competed, the meet also ended in an 11-8 decision, but in favor of the Bulldogs. This time, the Mustangs were able to come out on top with a strong home win.

"They're such a quality group and such a quality group of student athletes and coaches and they hung right in here with us cheery we're very gracious to have them," Gwin said of the Georgia squad. "It was nice to have a good quality competition even under the toughest of circumstances."

Up next, the Mustangs' will face fellow UEC competitor Fresno State at the Dallas Equestrian Center on Saturday, Oct. 27.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports