PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Swim Team

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Swim Team

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:48 am

Just curious, has the new pool attracted better recruiting?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Re: Swim Team

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Good question. When I asked Eddie earlier this fall he merely referred me to the SMU athletics web site for an answer. I reviewed the web site and looked up each frosh and have no clue whether things have improved as it only provides thumbnail profiles with no times or accolades listed to judge. I was informed earlier this year that diving was in good shape, but the bio on the only listed diver provides no information other than programs under which he studied. Not sure if other information might be available as I have never seen any signing announcements which was my original question to Eddie.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:13 pm

The one freshman women's diver sounds promising but you never know how much $$ one particular athlete received vs. others so you have to judge the class/team as a whole.

Johanna Holloway - Freshman
Placed 8th at 2018 USA Diving Senior Nationals.
Personal: Brother, Parker, competed as an SMU diver in 2016... Chose SMU because of the fantastic pool and facilities, coaching staff and amazing academics.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyswim » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:50 am

I would say that there is no evidence at this point of improved recruiting. The hope for this year is that there would be significant additions second semester of foreign athletes. SMU does not seem to be on the radar for US swimmers who want to be elite. We have to get back to being an option for some who want to be elite. We are not there yet.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby Swamp Gas » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Generations of American swimmers grew up watching big state schools putting up massive natatoriums while SMU kicked butt while swimming in a barn. Going after international swimmers seems like the way to accelerate the reboot.
Swamp Gas
Junior Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Swamp Gas wrote:Generations of American swimmers grew up watching big state schools putting up massive natatoriums while SMU kicked butt while swimming in a barn. Going after international swimmers seems like the way to accelerate the reboot.

Problem is that we are not even on the radar for U.S. kids. Both the men's and women's teams have survived for far too many years on the foreign athlete. Bottom line is that coaches recruit reasonably talented kids who are very good students and graduate; however, this level of kid performs well only at the conference level and we have almost totally been shut out of NCAA qualifiers for the past 5 years. The whole recruiting situation needs a huge almost full time revamping.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyswim » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:42 pm

I totally agree with both of you.
We need to have coaches that have the credibility with American and foreign swimmers who want to be elite, that they can do so at SMU. Then those coaches have to aggressively pursue them. It takes a lot of time and energy.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:08 pm

I sure hope that there is a succession plan from the era of Steve and Eddie already in place. They are absolute legends - but the heavy lifting is going to have to be done by the next guys (or gals) that take leadership over SMU Swimming.

I would think that has to be coming soon - right?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports