PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Schedule and Recruiting

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Schedule and Recruiting

Postby Shetland » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:10 am

All the talk about SMU falling off because of schedule and recruiting has got me down.

The poor schedule is on the AD. And maybe they thought Cancun would have better teams because last year only real good OOC outside Bahamas was USC. I do think it's important to secure a home and home but I also would have taken a P5 road only if they were a ranked team pre season.

Recruiting is on the coach. Hard to say by ranking/stars determine if player develops, but you would think with our success he'd have gotten a top 100 recruit even if it missed like the Aussie or Sedrick. Anyone have any idea why Jank keeps missing? It's Dallas with a packed Moody. Even if the coach doesn't own a living room a couple kids should fall in his lap with recent success we've had.
Shetland
Scout Team

Re: Schedule and Recruiting

Postby smupony94 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:24 am

Please direct all hate on the schedule to Jank, although Rick should bear some grief for not stepping in earlier.
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyKai » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:33 am

Schedule is on Jank, not the AD. But Rick should get some blame for not beating Jank over the head with a pipe when he proposed this OOC after the re-seat.
PonyKai

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:16 am

Can you imagine attendance.... yikes.. I imagine if we beat TCU and go undefeated in the OOC that attendance will pick up in Spring. I didn't renew season tickets as I figure it would be better to just pick single game tickets for like TCU and some of the good conference match ups.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby friarwolf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:21 pm

TCU is going to beat our [deleted] and I am not so sure we don't lose to one of the cupcakes on the schedule......
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Go tell that to Chargois. He'll beat you purple.
ponyboy

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Somewhat concerned about players with lack of P5 offers. But the tell tale seasons will be next year and the year after imo. Just have to see how the other AAC schools are recruiting over this time frame.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:32 pm

The OOC schedule, as well as recruiting over the past calendar year, have been a troubling indication that this thing is headed off a cliff. Not sure how you can spin it otherwise unless you’re a close relative of Jank’s.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:13 am

friarwolf wrote:TCU is going to beat our [deleted] and I am not so sure we don't lose to one of the cupcakes on the schedule......

Fear the Bison.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyTime » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:24 am

Don't worry about recruiting...I hear we have an "in" with a top recruit whose last name is the same as our Head Coach.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:41 am

PonyTime wrote:Don't worry about recruiting...I hear we have an "in" with a top recruit whose last name is the same as our Head Coach.

I think Jank has been pretty clear that he isn't recruiting his son.

He has also clearly said he has been responsible for scheduling since he arrived. So it is all on him.

They have taken a hard stance on demanding a home-and-home with top teams. Nobody wants to come play us in Moody right now. That is what is killing the scheduling ability.

Even if they agreed to play better teams on the road, our home schedule would still suck. There really isn't anything we can do about it.

IMHO, we won't see scheduling improve until people (and the NCAA tourney people) view us as a high quality program and that they won't be dinged if they lose to us. It will require several NCAA tourney qualifications in a row and one of them results in a sweet 16.

As far as recruiting is concerned, you are going to be able to tell if we are on the downswing this season. We don't have big transfers eligible to play next year, and lose three key backcourt players (Foster, McMurray, Dixon) so if Douglas and White don't show upside this season, you will be able to predict struggles next year. Both of them, a true frosh, or a GT are going to need to start next season, but at minimum both are going to have to play significant minutes.
JasonB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:18 am

Just for grins CBS ran a story ranking all 353 hoops teams:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... m/?irgwc=1

Well...here you go:

AAC:

cincy 26
UCF 31
Houston 40
UCONN 64
Temple 69
SMU 78
Memphis 84
WSU 99
Tulsa 120
Tulane 184
USF 192
ECU 273

Our OOC opponents:

TCU 25
Georgetown: 100
Wright St 110
Bradley 118
Lipscomb 137
So Miss 148
Penn St 164
ORU 235
Mcneese: 257
Cornell 258
Lamar 275
NW ST 290
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:15 pm

Interesting that we have had stronger OOC schedules recently but somehow now we can’t schedule as strong a schedule. Not saying all the reasons are spin but we will just have to see what next season’s OOC schedule looks like.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:21 pm

The ability of Cincy and WSU to reload is significantly undervalued.

Non-conference, Penn State and LIpscomb will move up significantly by year end.
JasonB

Postby PonySnob » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 pm

JasonB wrote:
PonyTime wrote:Don't worry about recruiting...I hear we have an "in" with a top recruit whose last name is the same as our Head Coach.

IMHO, we won't see scheduling improve until people (and the NCAA tourney people) view us as a high quality program and that they won't be dinged if they lose to us. It will require several NCAA tourney qualifications in a row and one of them results in a sweet 16.

So it sounds like the OOC schedule can’t really improve until the 21-22 season......which i believe is when the next planned reseat of Moody is supposed to happen.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Next

Return to Basketball