PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Schedule and Recruiting

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Schedule and Recruiting

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:33 pm

JasonB wrote:The ability of Cincy and WSU to reload is significantly undervalued.

Non-conference, Penn State and LIpscomb will move up significantly by year end.

Cincinnati reloads rather well from what I have noticed. Did you tell Jank that you would support him on the board if he gave you a tidbit or two. :lol:
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:38 am

Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote:The ability of Cincy and WSU to reload is significantly undervalued.

Cincinnati reloads rather sell from what I have noticed. Did you tell Jank that you would support him on the board if he gave you a tidbit or two. :lol:

Sell? Not sure what you mean.

The home non-conference schedule sucks, everyone agrees with that. But there are a couple of games on our schedule where we face good teams and will get a barometer. Penn State and Libscomb are two of those games.

Not throwing someone under the bus repeatedly is not equivalent to blindly supporting. I wait until I see the results until I start trashing the coaches and players of the teams I support. Wow, I am an actual fan! I get it that the pitchforks are out against Jank, just like they were against June. I'm just not going to join the angry mob until I see more disappointing results (and I'm already disappointed because I thought we underperformed at the end of last season. If the recruits were good enough, the injuries wouldn't be an excuse). My expectation this season is a team that closes the second half of the conference schedule very strong and gains an NCAA bid.

To be very clear, last season was the equivalent of June's 5-7 season. Either Jank recovers, or he doesn't. I'll support him and the team and see what happens. If we don't make the NCAAs, it isn't going to be because of the starters. It is going to be because Young, Hunt, Nixon, White, and Douglas don't contribute enough either off the bench or filling in for players who get injured. So, if he missed on those recruits as you and others suggest, then we will go to the NIT or worse and IMHO Jank's position is in jeopardy.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:50 am

As much as we talk about Cincy and Wichita State, it won't be long before Memphis is a force in the AAC. Penny tearing it up in recruiting:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... o-memphis/
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:00 am

Charleston Pony wrote:As much as we talk about Cincy and Wichita State, it won't be long before Memphis is a force in the AAC. Penny tearing it up in recruiting:

I wonder what we could do if we had a coach with a big name helping attract top players.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonySnob » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:11 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:As much as we talk about Cincy and Wichita State, it won't be long before Memphis is a force in the AAC. Penny tearing it up in recruiting:

I wonder what we could do if we had a coach with a big name helping attract top players.

Having a suitcase helps some as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:10 pm

JasonB wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

Cincinnati reloads rather well from what I have noticed. Did you tell Jank that you would support him on the board if he gave you a tidbit or two. :lol:

Sell? Not sure what you mean.

The home non-conference schedule sucks, everyone agrees with that. But there are a couple of games on our schedule where we face good teams and will get a barometer. Penn State and Libscomb are two of those games.

Not throwing someone under the bus repeatedly is not equivalent to blindly supporting. I wait until I see the results until I start trashing the coaches and players of the teams I support. Wow, I am an actual fan! I get it that the pitchforks are out against Jank, just like they were against June. I'm just not going to join the angry mob until I see more disappointing results (and I'm already disappointed because I thought we underperformed at the end of last season. If the recruits were good enough, the injuries wouldn't be an excuse). My expectation this season is a team that closes the second half of the conference schedule very strong and gains an NCAA bid.

To be very clear, last season was the equivalent of June's 5-7 season. Either Jank recovers, or he doesn't. I'll support him and the team and see what happens. If we don't make the NCAAs, it isn't going to be because of the starters. It is going to be because Young, Hunt, Nixon, White, and Douglas don't contribute enough either off the bench or filling in for players who get injured. So, if he missed on those recruits as you and others suggest, then we will go to the NIT or worse and IMHO Jank's position is in jeopardy.

Well. Typo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:13 pm

Memphis could be a dark horse in the AAC.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:25 pm

I was thinking about some of the SMU OOC opponents while Coach Brown was here. USC, Stanford, Arkansas, Pitt, Gonzaga, Michigan. So SMU can get quality opponents.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:46 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I was thinking about some of the SMU OOC opponents while Coach Brown was here. USC, Stanford, Arkansas, Pitt, Gonzaga, Michigan. So SMU can get quality opponents.

Yes, before Moody was established. And remember, Jank was in charge of scheduling back then as well... he was the one who filled in the schedules. Small nitpick that Pitt was part of a tourney, but yeah, those are quality home-and-homes.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:12 am

Moody was established when SMU played those opponents. We played a home and home with USC the last 2 years and Moody was established. This is the only year since Coach Brown took over that SMU has had such a weak OOC. If it is to let the team have a better chance to gel he would have done better to just say so but don’t use Moody as an excuse. As another poster has indicated that there were other P5 teams that were willing to play SMU. And SMU could have done a one off at a P5 opponents place as well. Following the company line in this case makes looks bad. As stated by others that this is the type of scheduling Illinois State had. Now with the injuries and new players we have I can see why he may have gravitated to a weaker OOC. We will see what happens next year as this is kind of a free year for Coach Jank.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:03 am

schedule Gonzaga again. Pretty sure both sides enjoyed that.
Pony ^

Postby Shetland » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:11 am

Jason Kidd? Does he still have a place in Dallas?
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby smupony94 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:43 am

Shetland wrote:Jason Kidd? Does he still have a place in Dallas?

He doesn't have a college degree so he has some work to do if he ever wants to coach in college
smupony94

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Well he is just a Kidd
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smupony94 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:46 pm

mrydel wrote:Well he is just a Kidd

You missed my nephew in red Saturday.