PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Best B-Schools Ranking

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Best B-Schools Ranking

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:50 pm

SMU ranked #41 by Bloomberg Business Week.

https://www.bloomberg.com/business-schools/2018/?srnd=premium
Cheesesteak
All-American

Re: Best B-Schools Ranking

Postby MV pony » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:40 am

Ahead of Tulane (yea) and behind UTD and TCU (boo). As always, Emory runs with the elite group. Reading up on the history of Emory and SMU, the methodists opted to make Emory a prestigious institution and to give SMU a football team. I wish I could find that old article.
MV pony
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:36 am

MV pony wrote:Ahead of Tulane (yea) and behind UTD and TCU (boo). As always, Emory runs with the elite group. Reading up on the history of Emory and SMU, the methodists opted to make Emory a prestigious institution and to give SMU a football team. I wish I could find that old article.

Concerning that we are behind UTD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Huge gap between #1 Stanford and #2 Wharton.

UTD (670) has a higher average GMAT than both SMU (650) and TCU (620). That's curious. It's obviously a lot less expensive. Is their FT program similarly sized to SMU? TCU is about half the size of SMU.

The component rankings are interesting as well. SMU has the highest compensation value of these three schools (66 vs. 60 at TCU and 55 at UTD) but it's network and "learning" scores are lower. ??

Didn't Emory make its fortune thanks to Coca-Cola stock?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby dirtysouthpony » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:54 am

Emory is awash in soda money. Candler and Woodruff families. Also North Georgia Conference of UMC
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:07 pm

This is not the ranking that anyone pays attention to - its full of subjective stuff and "student feedback".
gostangs

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:50 pm

I really view NY, LA, Chicago and Dallas as the Top Financial Centers in the US, maybe Boston and Philadelphia make that list as well.

Realize its just one ranking, but we have to do better than this.
SoCal_Pony

Postby AfricanMustang » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:44 pm

gostangs wrote:This is not the ranking that anyone pays attention to - its full of subjective stuff and "student feedback".

That's not anymore subjective than the U.S. News's rankings that are calculated based on feedback from high school counselors and the peer assessment.
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:06 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:I really view NY, LA, Chicago and Dallas as the Top Financial Centers in the US, maybe Boston and Philadelphia make that list as well.

Having worked in NY, it seemed to me that Chicago, Boston, LA and San Fran were just a step down. Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte, Houston seemed next...at least for banking. Philly is decent as well. PHX and Denver next?

Isn't Business Week the ranking where Cox was ranked in the Top 10-15 at one point? I thought the school would generate some momentum off that ranking. Having recruited a lot at Cox, the cream of the crop in the FT program were as good as other Top 20 schools. It just seemed like you needed to get the top ones on big scholarships. It started that way at Fuqua too (about 20-25 years ago) but they built it out and created a juggernaut. Niemi was excellent at generating revenue and creating programs but I didn't think he did much with the grad school quality.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:49 pm

This is a ranking for masters programs only. My school is #8 and we don't even have an undergrad business major.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:53 pm

tristatecoog wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:I really view NY, LA, Chicago and Dallas as the Top Financial Centers in the US, maybe Boston and Philadelphia make that list as well.

Having worked in NY, it seemed to me that Chicago, Boston, LA and San Fran were just a step down. Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte, Houston seemed next...at least for banking. Philly is decent as well. PHX and Denver next?

I think for your list is pretty accurate for Banking, but for Financial, Dallas moves up in importance and is IMO a Top 6.
SoCal_Pony

Return to Around the Hilltop