PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Decommit

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Decommit

Postby PonyPride » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Linebacker Lucas Eatman announced via his Twitter account that he is decimating from SMU
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Decommit

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:34 pm

This class is being decimated!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:35 pm

PonyPride wrote:Linebacker Lucas Eatman announced via his Twitter account that he is decimating from SMU

Decimating? That sounds terrible.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:48 pm

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Chad had the policy of don't commit until you are committed. So a lot of these guys wouldn't have committed in the first place/ Dykes is softer on that, but I get the impression they are expecting some of these and prepared for it.
JasonB

Postby Pony81 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:20 am

Luckily this isn’t this staff’s first rodeo....
I’m sure they are constantly asking recruits to affirm their commitment and if they see them taking other trips, etc then they are told that the staff is going to keep recruiting that position....
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:41 pm

This is why I rolled my eyes at everyone who was upset with me calling his hire dumb. On average every first year coach’s best class is their first year. Secondly, you have to wait till December (not even there yet and we are getting decommits) to really start seeing what the class truly looks like. Sonny in my books after 11 games is an average hire: he brought us Kane but also brought a subpar OC. Recruiting is average (especially by the end of it). The one positive thing mentioning, unless SMU went full [deleted], is that we aren’t paying for him Cal is.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Sonny did a nice job in the transfer/JUCO market and I would expect more of the same. He is ahead of my expectations in this 1st year, win or lose this coming Saturday
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:50 pm

Its not average if he can hold the class but its logical to be skeptical that we won't lose some more and some won't sign on early signing date-we have every single year just as every great G5 recruiting class has got picked apart by P5

On the date Chad Morris left SMU's class was ranked 49th on Rivals and 58 on 247 but we finished in the mid 80s. There are 65 P5 schools. Top 60 class is probably top 3-5 among G5 and that should be the goal. Still a little difficult to predict since this is only the 2nd year of early signing date-last year there seemed to be a lot of placeholding and then it was jump ball when the coaches hit the recruiting trail after season final until the early signing date

Also pull for Coach Bro to hold his job-you don't want a Texas P5 out there with a new coach trying to poach late. I guess Okie St coach might change too-I think Gundy might just jump because of criticism from major booster and AD
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:57 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:This is why I rolled my eyes at everyone who was upset with me calling his hire dumb. On average every first year coach’s best class is their first year. Secondly, you have to wait till December (not even there yet and we are getting decommits) to really start seeing what the class truly looks like. Sonny in my books after 11 games is an average hire: he brought us Kane but also brought a subpar OC. Recruiting is average (especially by the end of it). The one positive thing mentioning, unless SMU went full [deleted], is that we aren’t paying for him Cal is.

Timeline for switching has moved up a bit because of the early signing date.

The reason we have good assistant coaches is that Call is paying for Sonny.
JasonB

Postby Pony81 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:23 pm

I can see that we might of paid up for Kane but Lashlee taking a lateral move from UCONN to SMU couldn’t have required more money. None of the other assistant coaches were taking a step down for a step up in pay. Most looked like journeymen types who were happy to have found a place to land.

Maybe they are banking what they would have paid Sonny and will use that in the future to keep the coaches they want from leaving
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:43 am

Pony81 wrote:I can see that we might of paid up for Kane but Lashlee taking a lateral move from UCONN to SMU couldn’t have required more money. None of the other assistant coaches were taking a step down for a step up in pay. Most looked like journeymen types who were happy to have found a place to land.

Maybe they are banking what they would have paid Sonny and will use that in the future to keep the coaches they want from leaving

If you look at the resume of any of our coordinators or assistant coaches they dwarf what Chad's staff did. We are investing much more in this staff than we did under Chad. A discounted price for the HC allowed us to spend that budget elsewhere. I guarantee you that Kane and Lashlee make a lot more than their predecessors, and their assistants do as well.
JasonB

Postby Nacho » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:38 am

thank goodness chad is history. another year of Van? we would be about 2-10 this year with that d.
sonny has done a great job. we may make a bowl with the influx of talent this staff brought on the d side.
'
Nacho

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:20 am

Nacho wrote:thank goodness chad is history. another year of Van? we would be about 2-10 this year with that d.
sonny has done a great job. we may make a bowl with the influx of talent this staff brought on the d side.

So true! A lot of people were predicting 2-4 wins but a chance to get to 6 and get those extra practices in December is in reach because of Sonny and his staff!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Nacho wrote:thank goodness chad is history. another year of Van? we would be about 2-10 this year with that d.
'

Chad and Van who? good riddance.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby malonish » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:03 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:
'

Chad and Van who? good riddance.

Chad lives in a van down by the river.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend