PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Next year..Quarterback?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Next year..Quarterback?

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Pretty impressive step up. Ft Davis is 1A

Dad was the first college QB I remember, as he was HS qb in Ft Stockton where I was a first grader... Later on, I can still hear Frank Broyles talking about "Mc-eyevuh"
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Timothythegreat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:05 pm

No Quarter wrote:
Timothythegreat wrote:
ojaipony wrote:Hicks needs to go and we need a quality GT who is a good level headed game manager and accurate thrower. We also need to get up on some teams so Will Brown gets more playing time (2-3 more games) and is truly ready to take over the following 2 years (I think he is now, but what do I know).

Hicks isn’t going anywhere so drop it. He’s in grad school already and isn’t going to transfer or get his scholarship pulled.it seems beneath me to have to keep pointing that out.

I’m not a qb guru but I don’t think brown is ready and he will also injured last year. If he wasn’t, you would have to imagine he would have seen some PT as at least a change of pace. I think he got some really good experience that will serve him well going forward, but he definitely looked like a freshman.

The above seems to kinda sum it up - again. I say again because it been said before.

If we flip a big time freshman with no injuries I'm sure we'll take him and he might get PT. Ditto for a yet unnamed GT or JUCO although the result might be loosing two from next year's depth chart with result we'd be keeping on with this subject next year.

Might be better to go after a good WR who can come in and play like Quinn. Probably the coaches have thought of that also.

This team has so many more problems than a lack of an elite QB.
1.No discernible playmakers at WR beyond Proche (who may not be here next year) and Roberson
2.Starting TE is competent at best, at #1 and #2 at the position are going to be seniors next year.
3.Offensive line was a liability all season.
4.Apparently there are only two capable running backs, both of which will be seniors this fall.
5. DB position is going to be very senior heavy this fall

It seems to me that unless it is another Garret Gilbert level transfer with at least two years of eligibility left that the scholarship space would be better spent improving the talent around Hicks than bringing in someone to compete with him for one year. It would be better for long term roster management to use that spot for another position group, especially considering that Hicks has at the very least proven capable and Brown has shown to be a promising young back up.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:49 pm

Maybe. But we look to have a helluva lot of talent in the pipeline, so I’m feeling good about the program.
ponyboy

Postby Digetydog » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Timothythegreat wrote:
1.No discernible playmakers at WR beyond Proche (who may not be here next year) and Roberson
2.Starting TE is competent at best, at #1 and #2 at the position are going to be seniors next year.
4.Apparently there are only two capable running backs, both of which will be seniors this fall.

It seems to me that unless it is another Garret Gilbert level transfer with at least two years of eligibility left that the scholarship space would be better spent improving the talent around Hicks than bringing in someone to compete with him for one year. It would be better for long term roster management to use that spot for another position group, especially considering that Hicks has at the very least proven capable and Brown has shown to be a promising young back up.

I get you, but
1) Most AAC teams would kill for Proche, Roberson, & Sanders. If the younger players develop in the Spring, our WRs will be a Plus unit in the Fall.
2) Becker, Thedford and Redding are an average AAC Unit.
3) The OL needs to improve significantly and Dykes targeting of JUCO/GT OL reflects that need.
4) We will have a scholarship RS Freshman and a true Freshman in the mix next year.
5) Dykes has 6 DB’s committed and is looking to add some JUCO talent.

As for scholarship count, I will be surprised if Upshaw and/or Oehrlien (both on scholarship) don’t leave the program. Both are probably behind walk on Derek Green on the depth chart.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:28 pm

ojaipony wrote:

Some thoughts on those other positions... I think it is a given that we have a JUCO come in at QB this recruiting class.

1. Proche, Roberson, Page are your starters at WR. Sanders, Bell, Miles are the second and a whole bunch of highly rated young players on the third string. That isn't bad at all. I agree with you that because of the Roberson injury history, we need one more "plus" option, because Page, Bell, and Sanders to this point are solid, but not play makers. I realize that in a perfect world, we would have a transfer come in and compete with Page. However, with the number of other transfers we need, I don't think it will happen. Instead, I think Miles and some highly regarded incoming frosh will compete.

2. At TE for next year, Becker really stepped forward this season. Thedford is basically a blocker. Redding the coaches absolutely love, and will push for the starting spot next season. If Rau stays, there is a lot of potential there. If he doesn't, you are correct we are going to have depth issues the following season, and this is a huge hole in the current recruiting class. I expect the staff will try to retain him, though.

3. Agreed, OL struggled with the new scheme and trying to transition to a power blocking formula. That said we were very young. Thomas, Howerton, Ali, and Morris have shown that they can play and another year of Kaz will do them all very well. Livingston has potential, was injured, but probably needed a year of Kaz anyway because he is actually lean for his huge frame. Dennis, Webb, Smith, Todora, Wilds, Barton haven't developed yet, but next year is their RS jr year for most of them, when you would expect them to develop and compete. Barton it sounds like developed nicely as a backup center. If Thomas stays at tackle, then I think we will have three solid players with him, Morris, and Livingston. Ideally, we would get a fourth to come in as a transfer and provide depth. Guard is the big problem. Ali is a starter, but I think Todora and Dennis should both be running second team. I really would have expected significant steps forward from Todora and Smith this season if they had the potential. Unless the staff sees something bigger in their development, I think we need to bring in a starting-level transfer at guard, and this is what I would be looking for from that huge list of transfer requests that Dykes has been provided.

4. Regardless of looking towards the future, the injury history of Jones and Freeman makes them undependable. That said, Williams, McDaniel, and Bentley are all 3 star prospects at RB, and RB can play early. I think one of those young players will be able to take the West catch the ball out of the backfield spot and rotate with Jones. However, what is missing is another thick, bruising back for when Freeman gets hurt. I think we need a transfer here who can provide another option in that role.

5. Great catch on CB. Sutton, Hayes, Davis, KJ are solid corners, but all seniors. Keys, Johnson, and Guy-Robinson are the only young players on the roster. That's probably why we have 6 DBs in the recruiting class this year. Honestly, all of the starters are solid, but none are "plus". Ideally would like to see another JUCO come in this season, but I think the other needs will trump this one.

I would not be surprised to see several transfers added to the recruiting class this season, but that will all depend on the number of players who drop off the roster and transfer out. I see the most pressing needs from a transfer perspective as 1 JUCO QB, 1 OG, 1 OT, 1 physical RB. Unfortunately, it would require a lot of attrition from either the roster or the recruiting class to make it happen. But from what I have heard we have a long list of very good transfer candidates reaching out.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:58 pm

there will be attrition...that's a given
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:39 pm

Bad QB play directly cost us several games and a bowl...next up?
SMUer

Postby No Quarter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:23 pm

Mind you, this is more speculative / less informed than a lot of stuff in this thread.

Davey Moore was a former Texan (Guyer maybe?) who finished HS in GA and was once a touted HCCM committ who bailed to Memphis and had some good practices there before slipping in the depth chart and transfering to a JUCO before this season.

Is it possible that the present offense could use him and that he might end up at SMU?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:39 pm

From what I have heard he is toxic
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby No Quarter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:04 pm

mrydel wrote:From what I have heard he is toxic

Well then, thank you. I said at the start my comment was speculative / uniformed.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby solomouse » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:02 pm

So, I guess it was/ is a good question....
solomouse
Varsity

Postby Ikus » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:55 pm

I'm curious to see if the Buechele speculation has anything behind it. Could do worse.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby skyscraper » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Our last UT QB transfer worked out pretty well. I'm all for Buechele.
skyscraper

Postby Jackets N Pones » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Buechele would be a great fit, come on over and bring some other playmakers looking for PT!
Spirits the best in the land
And right to the end we'll stand
For the M-U-S-T-A-N-G-S
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Jackets N Pones
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:33 pm

skyscraper wrote:Our last UT QB transfer worked out pretty well. I'm all for Buechele.

Agreed. Gilbert was a great QB. I would welcome someone from the same home he came from.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football