PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hicks gone

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hicks gone

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:44 pm

Hey maybe if he had a better offensive line he could do slightly better?
It's obvious for anyone that knows anything that he has no career Beyond College in football Garen f****** teed.

Have a good time in life Ben and try to cut down on those negative body signals
I'm still working on them..
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Wild Mustang » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Excellent news! Today has to be The Greatest Day in SMU Sports History!

Will Brown, Robinson (TCU), or Buechelle (Texas). I am rooting for Will Brown.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Lotus » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Bergermeister wrote:How would this move affect Jerry and Stephen Jones' Arkansas depth chart?

Interesting question. If Hicks ends up in Pigtown, it's because Morris and Craddock have assured him that he'll have every chance to start. On the other hand, you have to think that when Jerry got Morris the job, Morris had to promise that Little Jones was the future of the program or somesuch. Maybe Jerry would allow a one-year window for a grad transfer.
SMU! SMU! SMU!
Lotus
All-American

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:19 pm

Little Jones will not be the QB at Arkansas. They still have Ty Story for another year and I think he tops Hicks. They have a 4 star recruit who right now is their future, but probably needs a year before he is ready. Conner Nolan may very well beat out Story. I have not used up my 2018 one mistake yet so I could be wrong but I do not see a future for either Hicks or Little Jones at UA barring injuries.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Dutch » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:45 pm

mrydel wrote:Little Jones will not be the QB at Arkansas. They still have Ty Story for another year and I think he tops Hicks. They have a 4 star recruit who right now is their future, but probably needs a year before he is ready. Conner Nolan may very well beat out Story. I have not used up my 2018 one mistake yet so I could be wrong but I do not see a future for either Hicks or Little Jones at UA barring injuries.

yup. John Stephen's mission has been achieved. he saw the field in an arkansas uniform just like his dad and grandpa. officially continued the letterman legacy in his line of the Jones family tree. there was never any misconception that he was going to be their #1 QB.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Disappointing. I didn't want him locked in as a starter, but the more competition the better.

That said, it could be that Ben sees the writing on the wall with Jalen Brown. I know that he is a strong leader and the other players rally behind him.
JasonB

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:23 pm

JasonB wrote:I didn't want him locked in as a starter, but the more competition the better.

Totally agree....hopefully we will have a better starter, but it certainly would not have been bad to have a seasoned senior quarterback ready to come in and play if our starter goes down. I would think Sonny already has a starter transfer now lined up and told Ben about it, and so Ben bailed.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Timothythegreat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:04 pm

I humbly admit I was mistaken.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:12 pm

No one is ever wrong on Pony Fans. We just have different perspectives. Just know that in your head and in your heart he will remain then you can be right.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby lwjr » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:35 pm

mrydel wrote:No one is ever wrong on Pony Fans. We just have different perspectives. Just know that in your head and in your heart he will remain then you can be right.

Thank you, Dr Phil.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby ozfan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:22 pm

JasonB wrote:Disappointing. I didn't want him locked in as a starter, but the more competition the better.

That said, it could be that Ben sees the writing on the wall with Jalen Brown. I know that he is a strong leader and the other players rally behind him.

I do hope we can get a viable transfer.. Brown is not the answer unless the the coaches want to install the nickle, dime or Georgia Tech belly.. The young mans passing mechanics are very bad and even with good coaching when under pressure at his age will revert back to old habits.
Sent from my KOREAN knockoff using Tapdance 5
ozfan
All-American

Postby angryfan04 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Compared to Hicks, Brown can make all the throws. He completed 62% of his passes compared to 55% for Hicks and had 7 TDs with 1 INT. Plus he is a real threat to run, so those read option type of plays will be more effective. It never made any sense to have Hicks run those types of plays
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby Jackets N Pones » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Tyler Page QB1
Spirits the best in the land
And right to the end we'll stand
For the M-U-S-T-A-N-G-S
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Jackets N Pones
Junior Varsity

Postby Timothythegreat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:57 pm

angryfan04 wrote:Compared to Hicks, Brown can make all the throws. He completed 62% of his passes compared to 55% for Hicks and had 7 TDs with 1 INT. Plus he is a real threat to run, so those read option type of plays will be more effective. It never made any sense to have Hicks run those types of plays

He also played a fraction of the snaps hicks did, had a dumbed down playbook, and I can count the number of throws that traveled more than 15 yards on one hand. Of course he had “better” stats.

This myth of brown being some great runner needs to end. I don’t know what you were watching but he only ran those read options because he is strong and a little more mobile than hicks. His read options were rarely more successful than hicks.

And it makes perfect sense to run those plays with Ben. They’re not going to treat him like a run threat so they’re not going to contain and it’s going to leave room to pick up a cheap 5 yards here and there on a keep. And then occasionally, like against UCONN, you can break a 50 yarder.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby Timothythegreat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:00 pm

angryfan04 wrote:Compared to Hicks, Brown can make all the throws. He completed 62% of his passes compared to 55% for Hicks and had 7 TDs with 1 INT. Plus he is a real threat to run, so those read option type of plays will be more effective. It never made any sense to have Hicks run those types of plays

He also played a fraction of the snaps hicks did, had a dumbed down playbook, and I can count the number of throws that traveled more than 15 yards on one hand. Of course he had “better” stats.

This myth of brown being some great runner needs to end. I don’t know what you were watching but he only ran those read options because he is strong and a little more mobile than hicks. His read options were rarely more successful than hicks.

And it makes perfect sense to run those plays with Ben. They’re not going to treat him like a run threat so they’re not going to contain and it’s going to leave room to pick up a cheap 5 yards here and there on a keep. And then occasionally, like against UCONN, you can break a 50 yarder.
Your questioning of that is almost like saying “why do we run those bubble screens/slants/quick outs/dive/draw” it’s a play designed to pick up a few yards, is why. Obviously
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football