PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Georgetown Roll Call

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Georgetown Roll Call

Postby JasonB » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Here are my thoughts:
- First, a much needed quality win on the road. They will probably be middle of the pack Big East, but they aren't a bad team at all.
- We had a lot of calls go against us, which I would expect on the road. Georgetown was in the double bonus for like the last 8 minutes of the game, we had a ton of foul trouble, and they made a big run in the second half to pull within a bucket. To fight against that and pull out a win in our first road game of the season is actually a really nice result.
- Jank pulling McMurray in the first half and going with a big lineup was a gutsy move and stabilized the game after we got behind early. It was a good coaching move.
- I think McMurray might have been pulled at first because of a bad shot. And then Chargois was pulled for a bad shot. So maybe Jank is starting to set some expectations like LB used to do?
- Hunt continues to look fantastic. Great rebounder.
- Early first half we were really static offensively again. It fixed over the course of the game, but I would love for that to disappear completely.
- We still struggle defensively. Georgetown did a lot of unforced stuff, like the lost dribble that fell to McMurray. But that double on the big towards the end of the game was a huge play. I kind of thought it was interesting that after we turned them over on the press, we didn't do it again. Maybe something to do with the foul trouble through.
- Young ahead of both White and Douglas in the rotation?

All-in-all, a good win, and a nice get without Foster effective offensively yet. When everyone is hitting their shots we can do some nice things. Fear of course, is that this is the exception rather than the rule.

UConn beat Cornell by 17, Syracuse by 8. Let's see what we can do.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:44 pm

What today showed was that we have a pretty competitive 7 man team that on any given night, if their shots are falling, might be able to compete with anyone in the AAC...especially at Moody if our fans return and get rowdy.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:02 pm

If Jank wants to keep his job that needs to happen most nights. Some improved recruiting would seem to be even more important.
mustangxc

Postby The Falcon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:05 pm

I didn't say we are going to win the NCAA tournament. I think we are making genuine progress
and I don't want to tap the brakes. We are getting better with each game and that is what I want
to see. Georgetown is not a bad team. We did not fold in the 2nd half and after they made a
run, we answered and put the game away.

Winning on the road has been a problem over the years, and we took this game on the road.

I have watched Mustang basketball for many years and I have seen us play miserably in the games
that follow final exams in December. This was such a game and we actually played very well.
We still have a lot of room to improve and we are gradually moving in that direction.
If we can get Young and White to progress and get some confidence and if Jarrey can reach
his past confidence and skill - we will see even better things happen. Go Mustangs.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby ObeyMyDog » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:39 pm

mustangxc wrote:If Jank wants to keep his job that needs to happen most nights. Some improved recruiting would seem to be even more important.

He's awful at it. I want to be excited about winning but it just creates more stupid drama in firing Jank. His recruiting is abhorrent and his staff is hardly better. I feel good for the kids I suppose but it makes me sick knowing this is literally the June scenario happening again. And I know the win today has people saying that was great etc even though Georgetown isn't close to what it has been. I can't explain it, it just feels gross. The entire situation is just gross.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:50 pm

The Falcon wrote:I didn't say we are going to win the NCAA tournament. I think we are making genuine progress
and I don't want to tap the brakes. We are getting better with each game and that is what I want
to see. Georgetown is not a bad team. We did not fold in the 2nd half and after they made a
run, we answered and put the game away.

Winning on the road has been a problem over the years, and we took this game on the road.

I have watched Mustang basketball for many years and I have seen us play miserably in the games
that follow final exams in December. This was such a game and we actually played very well.
We still have a lot of room to improve and we are gradually moving in that direction.
If we can get Young and White to progress and get some confidence and if Jarrey can reach
his past confidence and skill - we will see even better things happen. Go Mustangs.

My point is Georgetown was not at full strength with their starter being out. Kind of like SMU was without Jarrey.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Lebanese4Life » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:53 pm

dude, their starter sitting out was a coaching decision and even then he averages like 5 pts a game.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:54 pm

Regardless of how the team fares this year Jank is who he is as far as his recruiting is concerned. I think we have enough of a sample (a rally bad sample) of it to realize we've got to get a guy who aims higher and works harder at it if we ever want to have teams like LB had.

Our core seven guys are decent but we know from past experience what can happen to seven man rotations even when they are NBA bound. Most of these guys are not NBA bound.

The best case scenario here is we go .500 or so without any season-ending injuries or other convenient excuses for Jank. Along the way it becomes pretty clear that we are getting blown out by the top of the conference and that it won't change simply because Jank can't or won't recruit the kind of alphas we need.

I don't think he is good enough to coach guys like White and McBride up either. So, with Jank we are stuck mid to bottom of the conference.

I'd love it if we can hang on to some of our more promising guys and give them a shot under a different guy....hopefully a marquee name who can fill Moody again and bring us tourney bids.

Wins like this one will come from time to time just like they did in the pre-LB days. But success won't come until we get the right guy to make it happen.

And yeah...maybe we start with a new AD.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:57 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:
mustangxc wrote:If Jank wants to keep his job that needs to happen most nights. Some improved recruiting would seem to be even more important.

He's awful at it. I want to be excited about winning but it just creates more stupid drama in firing Jank. His recruiting is abhorrent and his staff is hardly better. I feel good for the kids I suppose but it makes me sick knowing this is literally the June scenario happening again. And I know the win today has people saying that was great etc even though Georgetown isn't close to what it has been. I can't explain it, it just feels gross. The entire situation is just gross.

Kind of reminds you of June 5-6 year where he barely won enough games not to get fired and then the next year sent the program down. Everyone that paid attention to recruiting could see it coming a mile away.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:03 pm

Lebanese4Life wrote:dude, their starter sitting out was a coaching decision and even then he averages like 5 pts a game.

Right, the player had a violation of teams rules. But if had seen them play before he was kind of a glue guy for them much like Jarrey is for SMU.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:04 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Regardless of how the team fares this year Jank is who he is as far as his recruiting is concerned. I think we have enough of a sample (a rally bad sample) of it to realize we've got to get a guy who aims higher and works harder at it if we ever want to have teams like LB had.

Our core seven guys are decent but we know from past experience what can happen to seven man rotations even when they are NBA bound. Most of these guys are not NBA bound.

The best case scenario here is we go .500 or so without any season-ending injuries or other convenient excuses for Jank. Along the way it becomes pretty clear that we are getting blown out by the top of the conference and that it won't change simply because Jank can't or won't recruit the kind of alphas we need.

I don't think he is good enough to coach guys like White and McBride up either. So, with Jank we are stuck mid to bottom of the conference.

I'd love it if we can hang on to some of our more promising guys and give them a shot under a different guy....hopefully a marquee name who can fill Moody again and bring us tourney bids.

Wins like this one will come from time to time just like they did in the pre-LB days. But success won't come until we get the right guy to make it happen.

I tend to agree.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby EastStang » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:50 pm

At the game today. Good ball movement. Got out rebounded for a stretch. But not surprising for a Ewing coached team. Good team effort. Jerray was bricking 3s, and we kind of panicked at times when shot clock got below 10 and took bad shots instead of making one more pass. Late in the game that could hurt. Glad to see Jank pull Ethan after he tried his Melo imitation. Good team effort. Good hustle. Nice win
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:58 pm

EastStang wrote:At the game today. Good ball movement. Got out rebounded for a stretch. But not surprising for a Ewing coached team. Good team effort. Jerray was bricking 3s, and we kind of panicked at times when shot clock got below 10 and took bad shots instead of making one more pass. Late in the game that could hurt. Glad to see Jank pull Ethan after he tried his Melo imitation. Good team effort. Good hustle. Nice win

It was good to see Jank pull both Chargois and McMurray after they took bad shots at bad times. Seems they got the message as both played pretty well immediately after being benched.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:23 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Regardless of how the team fares this year Jank is who he is as far as his recruiting is concerned. I think we have enough of a sample (a rally bad sample) of it to realize we've got to get a guy who aims higher and works harder at it if we ever want to have teams like LB had.

To add to that, I am not sure I want a coaching change without a new AD. Hart has proven to be incompetent.
mustangxc

Postby SMU Section F » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:34 pm

mustangxc wrote:To add to that, I am not sure I want a coaching change without a new AD. Hart has proven to be incompetent.

Incompetent might be step further than I'd take it... but yeah, if an AD change is on the horizon I'd prefer it happen sooner rather than later.
SMU Section F
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball