PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU recruiting in Dallas Morning News

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU recruiting in Dallas Morning News

Postby JasonB » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:49 pm

Really enjoyed the event tonight. Nice to hear about how pumped Rambo is about our current stock of young DEs and that the staff is really high on Nelson. Great conversation with the corners coach as well.
Wonderful to hear the staff comment about how happy they are to be here. Really embracing the school, and Sonny is doing some creative things to positively impact our long term recruiting goals.

Sounds like Sanders is getting his redshirt. Staff will only take 2-3 more players in this late signing period, targeting the best players available. Two or three scholarships will be carried over and used on transfers.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:04 am

Jason B. Thank you for the report. I like reading your posts and the real information you put out.

With a few JUCO/Transfers I think we are way better next year.

I Like Dykes.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:05 am

BUS wrote:Jason B. Thank you for the report. I like reading your posts and the real information you put out.

With a few JUCO/Transfers I think we are way better next year.

I Like Dykes.

TWSS

Dykes made a little speech about the class, and then opened it up for Q&A. Then immediately said, "well if noone else will ask the question, I'll ask the question. What are we going to do about QB next year", and then shared the plan. Great, transparent guy.

Answer: they really like Brown, Green is going to be good, and they need to go out and get someone from the JUCO/transfer ranks.

Another tidbit: with transfers, they are really targeting players with two years of eligibility, regardless of position.

And we have a couple players who have physically signed on, but their names weren't released yesterday because they want to be announced with their teams. Which I had heard rumors of but it was good to hear it from the staff. He was very careful to keep them anonymous.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:17 am

Thanks for the updates!

This seems like a pretty decent class so far.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyboy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:07 pm

I’d expect the two from Southlake will announce together that they’ve signed with us
ponyboy

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:41 pm

I think one of the sites has us as the #4 non p5 recruiting class behind Boise, Memphis and ucf.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:56 pm

I'm good with that because I think it is just going to get better from here.

When you look at how many of the frosh played last year... they put together a nice deep class with very little time. The fact the staff has higher expectations for this class and significantly higher expectations after that has me really excited.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:49 pm

SMU is 5th in average per recruit in the AAC -its really too early to conclude much of anything right now because everybody has a lot of their top recruits who haven't signed-I think we have 14 signees-count on them
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:03 pm

We are in a nice position, however, where anyone we bring in from this point on is just going to make our average star rating increase.
JasonB

Postby Mexmustang » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:54 am

Other than my faulty math and misunderstanding the rules, I would bet by National Signing Date, we will have at least three more positions available as people drop out and leave the program this month. Sonny was just real disappointed in several players not putting forth the effort this year. Plus, there are always a couple that also don't put forth the effort in the classroom.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Yep. I think they also have their eyes on a couple of JUCO players who don't graduate until after the spring ends, so I would look for them to hold one or two scholarships for a late JUCO in the summer.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:52 am

Looks like King is out. Like I said back when I was being criticized for saying Dykes wasn't a dream coach, his recruiting class is panning out to be like others of old. Every time SMU has a decent class, it gets filter out towards the home stretch. To me, Dyke's is going to be the same level or less than Morris.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:40 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Looks like King is out. Like I said back when I was being criticized for saying Dykes wasn't a dream coach, his recruiting class is panning out to be like others of old. Every time SMU has a decent class, it gets filter out towards the home stretch. To me, Dyke's is going to be the same level or less than Morris.
m
Why don’t you figure out where King is going before you spew dumb [deleted] like normal
smupony94

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:35 pm

smupony94 wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Looks like King is out. Like I said back when I was being criticized for saying Dykes wasn't a dream coach, his recruiting class is panning out to be like others of old. Every time SMU has a decent class, it gets filter out towards the home stretch. To me, Dyke's is going to be the same level or less than Morris.
m
Why don’t you figure out where King is going before you spew dumb [deleted] like normal

Rude. Also, does it really matter? Say he has an amazing, wonderful reason to decommit, it's not like he's being replaced with top talent. At the end of the day my "stupid [deleted]" is still applicable and relevant to the conversation. Otherwise, can you please provide a better counter?
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Recruiting