PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Isiah Jasey

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Isiah Jasey

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:25 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
Stallion wrote:a little bit more information from the Aggy site-says ESPN had him as a 4 star

https://12thman.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4958

Never trust an Aggie.

247 had him as a three..... number 299 in his class. Actually fairly high for a Jank signee.

Definitely not in the 300’s. Aggies are not that good this year but apparently he was not getting much playing time.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:34 pm

His offer list is pretty strong for the No. 299th best recruit

Texas A&M
Texas
OU
Oklahoma St.
Notre Dame
Baylor
UCONN
Memphis
UNLV
SMU
Nebraska
Georgia Tech
Purdue
TCU
Virginia Tech

Big men take the longest to develop-I don't anticipate him being a factor until the 2020-21 season
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Kid is still growing
Rivals had him at 6-8, 205 out of high school and 247.com had him at 6-8, 220 out of Killen before he went to Sunrise in Kansas where they had him at 6-9, 220. He looks completely different physically than when he was in high school

He's 8 for 9 on FGs on the year-19 points, 15 rebounds, 4 blocks, 4 steals in only 45 minutes of playing time (a little more than a game) You'd think that would earn some more time. Those stats look pretty competent
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Really like this get. Worst case he looks like he would be solid rotation guy/push Chaggy. Best case he could be a major contributor with his size and a true 5 man for us. Was fairly effective in limited minutes this season at A&M. Great offer list out of HS.

Good Write-up from the A&M 247 site this preseason on Jasey:

As a freshman, Isiah Jasey learned a lot from bigs like Williams, Davis and Trocha-Morelos. He spent much of last season on the bench, as playing time was tough with those frontcourt players running the show.

Now it's Jasey's time to show his worth, and Kennedy believes he's one of the athletes in the SEC who could be an immediate breakout player. Jasey is an athletic big whose length and tenacity can serve well in Texas A&M's new system.

"He's a physical defender. He could be one of the better big men in our league from a defensive standpoint, because he understands his well," Kennedy said of Jasey, a 6-foot-10, 246-pound power forward. "When he plays within himself offensively, he's very effective."

Jasey played in 15 games last season but only averaged 3.3 minutes per contest. With a year under his belt, look for Jasey to be an impact player and somebody who can effect opposing offenses inside.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:50 am

This came from out of nowhere for me. He is a P5 quality big and will be a big addition to this roster. After watching his tape, I agree with PLE that he has the ability to be one of the better bigs in the AAC. He is elite on the defensive end of the court.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:34 am

LA_Mustang wrote:This came from out of nowhere for me. He is a P5 quality big and will be a big addition to this roster. After watching his tape, I agree with PLE that he has the ability to be one of the better bigs in the AAC. He is elite on the defensive end of the court.

In addition to the defense it looks like he has some "back to the basket" skills as well. He might be another #secondchance
guy along the lines of Markus and Semi. We've got us some bigs....now we need a definite point guard and we need to know the the wings
Jank's recruited: White, McBride, Bandoumel can actually play.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Junior » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Any way you look at it, it’s seems like a good pull.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Whether it’s Jank or the next head coach at least Jasey has some height.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smubrooks » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:51 pm

It’s a Christmas miracle!
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:32 pm

I wouldn't go that far! A Christmas miracle would have been landing a Top 150 player. Still a nice and much needed get.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:06 pm

mustangxc wrote:I wouldn't go that far! A Christmas miracle would have been landing a Top 150 player. Still a nice and much needed get.

I'll surprise everyone here by saying "meh"... I agree with the take Rebel has on this.

We had one transfer spot in this next class. The idea in our recruiting is to get good 3 star and lower 4 star players (the Hunts, Brown, Foster, Moore type), and then supplement that with high end athletic players in the transfer market (Moore, Semi, Gu, Whitt, Mike). Moore, Gu, and Mike were starters before transferring. Semi was a very highly ranked recruit. Whitt was well-regarded recruit and very athletic. Isiah, on the other hand, is they type of player I would like to see us recruit in a typical recruiting class.

If this is an indication that Ray is not going to be able to play anymore and we have an extra scholarship, then yes, this is a good pickup and will add depth down low.

However, if not, I think we only have a spot for one transfer next year, and I'd rather it be a high-end guard to step in for Whitt when he graduates.
JasonB

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Stallion wrote:His offer list is pretty strong for the No. 299th best recruit

Texas A&M
Texas
OU
Oklahoma St.
Notre Dame
Baylor
UCONN
Memphis
UNLV
SMU
Nebraska
Georgia Tech
Purdue
TCU
Virginia Tech

Big men take the longest to develop-I don't anticipate him being a factor until the 2020-21 season

That is a strong list. So was William Douglas'.

SMU
Ole Miss
Alabama
Florida State
Marquette
Memphis
Oregon
TCU
UNLV

Me personally, I prefer to see transfers who had success at their prior stop. Jordan Tolbert averaged 24 minutes his freshman year, with 11.5 ppg and 6 rpg. He continued that level of production throughout his college career, including his time at SMU.

This player seems more Douglas than Tolbert.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:19 am

Give me Semi over Mike every time.
mustangxc

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:49 am

mustangxc wrote:Give me Semi over Mike every time.

You mean you’d take the Parade National Player of the Year over Mike?????, wow, what insight.

At least to his credit, Mike does have production, albeit at a lower level.

Ben Emelogu is another example of the transfers we should be pursuing. Played in the ACC, team captain as a freshman, averaged 10.5 points, 3.1 rebounds and 1.9 assists his freshman year at VA Tech.

I wish Jasey well. He’s been at A&M for 2 years and was averaging 1 point a game. Don’t know why people think this is a solid pick up. Verdict is definitely out on him.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:58 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Give me Semi over Mike every time.

You mean you’d take the Parade National Player of the Year over Mike?????, wow, what insight.

At least to his credit, Mike does have production, albeit at a lower level.

Ben Emelogu is another example of the transfers we should be pursuing. Played in the ACC, team captain as a freshman, averaged 10.5 points, 3.1 rebounds and 1.9 assists his freshman year at VA Tech.

I wish Jasey well. He’s been at A&M for 2 years and was averaging 1 point a game. Don’t know why people think this is a solid pick up. Verdict is definitely out on him.

You discredited the latest signing and made a general comment about wanting transfers that produced for their previous school. Mike was very productive his freshman season at Duquesne whereas Semi barely made it on the court at Duke. Simply making a point that your broad generalizations are senseless.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball