PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hicks gone

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hicks gone

Postby PoconoPony » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:43 pm

Ben Hicks was our best bet for next year as the transition QB who after one year finally started understanding the offense and had the experience to give us the chance to win. Yes, he had issues, but his issues pale in comparison to essentially starting over with a GT rental one year QB. Brown simply is not an accurate passer and the current WR group plus new commits are going to demand a passing attack instead of a run first QB who gets hurt and the entire season goes down the drain. The grass is not always greener to that which is known and now ready to make this offense go.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:12 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Ben Hicks was our best bet for next year as the transition QB who after one year finally started understanding the offense and had the experience to give us the chance to win. Yes, he had issues, but his issues pale in comparison to essentially starting over with a GT rental one year QB. Brown simply is not an accurate passer and the current WR group plus new commits are going to demand a passing attack instead of a run first QB who gets hurt and the entire season goes down the drain. The grass is not always greener to that which is known and now ready to make this offense go.

Sounds like you are making an argument for Proche going pro imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:42 am

Rebel10 wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Ben Hicks was our best bet for next year as the transition QB who after one year finally started understanding the offense and had the experience to give us the chance to win. Yes, he had issues, but his issues pale in comparison to essentially starting over with a GT rental one year QB. Brown simply is not an accurate passer and the current WR group plus new commits are going to demand a passing attack instead of a run first QB who gets hurt and the entire season goes down the drain. The grass is not always greener to that which is known and now ready to make this offense go.

Sounds like you are making an argument for Proche going pro imo.

Not trying to make a case for Proche; however, he may factor in this situation if there is no clear QB at such time as he must make his decision. I am only making a case that, in my opinion, Hicks is a big loss who would have served us very well next year giving the staff a chance to work out/find the QB they need to run their offense. At this time the QB situation is probably the biggest concern for next year and it did not need to be that way.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:21 pm

Yes, because Proche had such a horrible day at Michigan with Brown throwing the ball around.

Brown's completion percentage, TD-INT ratio, QB rating,, and yards per attempt were all better than Hicks this season. As a true freshman.

Please go here and look at Hicks' freshman year and compare it to last year. The ONLY difference is the number of picks. http://www.espn.com/college-football/pl ... /ben-hicks

We need a GT for sure to come in and compete and hopefully win the starting position.. But Brown isn't horrible.
JasonB

Postby Junior » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:28 pm

Did he punch another teammate during bowl season?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby numero_uno » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Timothythegreat wrote:
numero_uno wrote:Some of the comments made me chuckle...
http://www.coogfans.com/t/ben-hicks-transferring/15898

Which ones? Almost all of them are commenting on how been Hicks has lit up Houston every time he ever played them,Which is objectively true. Even last year in the loss, he still passed for close to 400 yards.

That was precisely what made me laugh. The, "He turns into Joe Montana every time he plays us"...my fave.
numero_uno
Junior Varsity

Postby malonish » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:33 pm

Junior wrote:Did he punch another teammate during bowl season?

What's the story on that? I am missing out.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:50 pm

malonish wrote:
Junior wrote:Did he punch another teammate during bowl season?

What's the story on that? I am missing out.

Frisco Bowl drunk fest
smupony94

Previous

Return to Football