PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

18-12 regular season...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

18-12 regular season...

Postby Maryland78 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:22 am

The question is if Mustangs can continue to build some momentum on the court (Mike and Hunt keep improving) and have a 10-8 conference record to finish the regular season...is that a success or at least a partial success? Maybe win a game in the tournament and finish 19-13...or even a couple more games in one of those pay-to-play post-season tournaments?

I do see potential for continued improvement...Hunt could end up a 12 and 8 player...Mike is finding his groove...Whitt is steady and capable of carrying team on a given game...McMurray, Foster and Chargois could go off at any time. Not much depth, but hopefully Young will improve and Dixon will be steady.

Next year, maybe recruits Cook and Bandoumel, transfer Jasey will really pan out? Point is, perhaps the program is not is a total free-fall? Do we want it to be Top 20...of course! Anyway, what are your thoughts?
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Re: 18-12 regular season...

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:40 am

Doesn't sound like Jasey will be playing until 2020.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Maryland78 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:51 am

Hopefully second semester next season...we''ll see?
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:52 am

We would need to land some major impact jucos and transfers to stay the course. Going back to the regular winning seasons with no postseason as was the case with Dement is not progress, it is a major step back given the talent Larry Brown left on the roster.
mustangxc

Postby ojaipony » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:45 pm

For a brief shining moment (for 2 seasons at least), the reasonable expectation for this program was:

1 - best in Texas
2 - top 25
3- NCAA tourney team for sure, just trying to get to sweet 16
4 - serious AAC championship contender at minimum
5 - Moody is crazy, best bball ticket in town

I still had that going into last season. I still had that when Jarrey went down. Then it was all over when we lost Shake. Has been a complete free fall since.

On paper, this roster is an NCAA tourney roster (absolutely solid 7 deep sans a big/enforcer type) ... but only with the right coaching ... but there is absolutely nothing on deck except the aTm transfer who won't really make any kind of impact for until season after next most likely ...
ojaipony

Postby skyscraper » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:11 pm

18-12 would not be a success, but I fear it would allow Jank to hold onto his job and do a full JJ teardown of the program.
skyscraper

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:24 pm

The AAC is not a juggernaut this year. A decent team would finish in 3rd-5th place with a nice record.

We are 8-4. In conference, 13-5 is what we should expect from the program. 21-9 would probably put us on the bubble for the NCAA heading into the conference tourney, and I would expect 2 wins in the conference tourney minimum. That would probably get Jank another year.

If we go 11-7 and finish in 5th, 19-11 means you have to win 2 games in the conference tourney just to get into the NIT. At 21-12 I think we would have to finish extremely well AND have our hands on a second starting guard in recruiting for Jank to stay on.

Anything less than that and I think changes are made.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Get to 19-20 wins and that should be good for at least the NIT, depending on how TCU, USM, Bradley, Lipscomb and Georgetown do the rest of the way. Need to pull for all of them to do well. I'm just not convinced this bunch can get to 19-20 wins, but I'm sure pulling for them to do it.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Maryland78 wrote: Next year, maybe recruits Cook and Bandoumel, transfer Jasey will really pan out? Point is, perhaps the program is not is a total free-fall? Do we want it to be Top 20...of course! Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Still going to need an immediate impact guard with McMurray, Foster and Dixon all moving on. I will be pleasantly surprised if any of our current recruits or guys on this year's bench can fit that bill.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:45 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Maryland78 wrote: Next year, maybe recruits Cook and Bandoumel, transfer Jasey will really pan out? Point is, perhaps the program is not is a total free-fall? Do we want it to be Top 20...of course! Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Still going to need an immediate impact guard with McMurray, Foster and Dixon all moving on. I will be pleasantly surprised if any of our current recruits or guys on this year's bench can fit that bill.

We need two impact guards. The JUCO should be one of them, but need another immediate starter for next season.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:54 am

Be interesting to see how the recruiting stacks up against other teams in the conference because after all is said and done that’s what really counts.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:24 pm

JasonB wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

We need two impact guards. The JUCO should be one of them, but need another immediate starter for next season.

Bryce Cook’s medical issues really throw a monkey wrench into things. He could have been slotted as one of those point guards with a year behind/spelling Whitt as a not too bad worst case scenario.

With the addition of Jacey I really think both Douglas and Ray are gone before this fall.... opening one or two more spots.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:38 pm

The thing is next year, the starting lineup is Whitt, ?, ?, Mike, Chargois. White is off the bench, and Hunt is a very strong piece coming off the bench at forward with Young as well.

Cook and McBride are bench pieces, they aren't starters, especially immediately. So Cook doesn't throw a wrench into anything. Douglas and Ray are bench pieces as well, even if they do stick around.

The JUCO fills one of those question marks. But we absolutely need a slam dunk starter as another recruit at guard.
JasonB

Postby mustang1992 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:46 am

Maryland78 wrote:Next year, maybe recruits Cook and Bandoumel, transfer Jasey will really pan out? Point is, perhaps the program is not is a total free-fall? Do we want it to be Top 20...of course! Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Two recruiting classes away from a competitive program. :lol:
mustang1992
All-American

Postby geezerdonk » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:14 pm

If everything breaks just right for them, they win 6 in conference play - max. There are only seven players on the roster that can perform above intramural level; really only six and a half as Foster is nowhere near 100%. They will be starting walk on level players next year. No coach in his right mind would take this job.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball