PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Despite The Hate, This is a Good Team..Right?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Despite The Hate, This is a Good Team..Right?

Postby shadowman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:10 pm

I get the frustration with Jank and his recruiting, and we (me included) wish we had the power recruiting abilities of LB once again.

BUT,

I think this is a pretty good team with a great mix of veterans and underclassman, and I fully expect us to challenge for the conference championship and finish at or near the top. I know there are many hoping for the wheels to come off so we can fire the coach, but we have a lot of talent.

I say we support the coach and the team and go for it.

That is all.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Re: Despite The Hate, This is a Good Team..Right?

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:17 pm

I think most of us want this team to succeed and hopefully step it up in recruiting. However, our recruiting so far has left much to be desired and as a result we will be less talented next season and for the forseable future. This season is as good as it gets so it better be a tournament team. The non-conference results do not even put us on the bubble thanks to atrocious losses to Southern Miss and Bradley. We need to make a strong run in conference play finishing 14-4 or better to put us on the bubble. Do that and we would be 22-8 entering the conference tournament needing probably 2 wins in the conference tournament to finish the season 24-9. Do that and Jankovich can stay. Otherwise, we need to at least win 10 games in conference play and land some top 150 recruits. I think most have simply lost faith in Jankovich's ability to accomplish that and as a result are ready to move on.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:25 pm

We’re a top 75 team
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby shadowman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:30 pm

I definitely get the worries, and we are walking on a knife edge. But if this team can keep coming together and string a special run, that would be huge in future recruiting.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:34 pm

No doubt!
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:34 pm

Let's beat Tulane and UConn on the road and then beat Tulsa and Houston at Moody before we even think about this group as NCAA worthy. I would just like to see these guys get to 20 wins and play in the NIT. That would be one heck of an accomplishment considering how they started this season.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:37 pm

I get what you are saying and agree to a certain extent given our limited post-season history as a program but would still be very disappointed given the downward trajectory of the program.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:46 pm

shadowman wrote:I definitely get the worries, and we are walking on a knife edge. But if this team can keep coming together and string a special run, that would be huge in future recruiting.

Not hate but just pointing out that he had a special run with the team Semi was on and what recruiting did that lead to?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:19 am

Rebel10 wrote:
shadowman wrote:I definitely get the worries, and we are walking on a knife edge. But if this team can keep coming together and string a special run, that would be huge in future recruiting.

Not hate but just pointing out that he had a special run with the team Semi was on and what recruiting did that lead to?

To be fair, that is when we were maxed out on our recruiting restrictions and weren't even able to travel to scout players at tourneys. We completely disappeared from the recruiting scene which is why we had to offer the two Aussies and then had to scrape for what we could in the next class as well. Judgement is fair game after that point, however.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:31 am

plus with limited scholarships we couldn't afford to take transfers (not immediately available) which have been our bread and butter just like Gonzaga and others. Semi is an example of those type of transfers that would have been a huge gamble with our limited numbers
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:45 am

You cannot judge how good they are until we start playing the good teams in our conference.
We whipped the worst or second-worst team in the AAC tonight.
The quality of our team cannot be judged against that level of competition.
skyscraper

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:39 am

Just to add: hate is not a good word to use here. I doubt seriously there’s much, if any, hatred towards Jank. Even failure might be a bit strong in this case.

We simply need better.

Better recruiting

Better bench coaching.

Although I will admit it seems (could not watch last night) that he coached a very good game vs ECU last night.

But that’s ECU.... remember?

Let’s see how the road games go.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SMUer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:51 pm

We will win games where free throw and lay-up % doesn't factor.
SMUer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:23 pm

My take: we don’t have any good wins and we have bad losses. I think our best win is Georgetown but USM and Bradley at home losses kill post season chances. I also think this thread will dissipate if we get mutilated by a mediocre Husky team...
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:28 pm

We still have a "good" team; they just aren't NCAA worthy based on what they have shown thus far. Doesn't mean they can't reach the NIT and have some post-season fun. Will have to see how we look against the upper division AAC teams before I'm ready to say we have no chance of winning the AAC Tourney and sneaking in...stranger things have happened, but based on this 10-4 start, I'd be happy with a 20 win season and NIT bid...maybe even a 1st round home game?
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Basketball