PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Unofficial game thread: SMU vs. ECU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Unofficial game thread: SMU vs. ECU

Postby mtrout » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:13 pm

We have a 0% chance of making the tournament unless we win the aac tournament.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:20 pm

mtrout wrote:We have a 0% chance of making the tournament unless we win the aac tournament.

24+ wins probably gets us in. Not likely, but doable.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:23 pm

Lol we were ranked going into the last week in ‘13-14 and didn’t even make it.
Last edited by mtrout on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 pm

mustangxc wrote:
mtrout wrote:We have a 0% chance of making the tournament unless we win the aac tournament.

I made that argument before this season started and there were plenty who argued 24+ wins would only make us NIT worthy because of our non-conference schedule. I agree with you that 24+ is highly unlikely, but continue to believe it would get us into the field of 68. So...all we have to do is go 16-2 in AAC play. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:29 pm

mtrout wrote:Lol we were ranked going into the last week with 27 wins and didn’t even make it.

We were 23-9 on selection Sunday.
mustangxc

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mustangxc wrote:

I made that argument before this season started and there were plenty who argued 24+ wins would only make us NIT worthy because of our non-conference schedule. I agree with you that 24+ is highly unlikely, but continue to believe it would get us into the field of 68. So...all we have to do is go 16-2 in AAC play. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

We need 16+ wins in the AAC counting the conference tournament. 14-4 + 2 conference tournament wins or other combinations of 16 wins probably gets us in. Our league is garnering respect so I really think that would be enough. Again, not likely but possible.
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:31 pm

I guess Feron Hunt didn't like his Hot Orange/Yellow shoes Santa bought him for Christmas-he was uncharacteristically sluggish in first half but ended with 12 rebounds after changing back to his normal shoes at halftime-has now led SMU is rebounding in 4 straight games and 6 of last 8 games

Now averaging about 7.5 rpg in about 21 minutes per game-so as a full time starter that would project to about 12 rpg
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:15 am

Stallion wrote:I guess Feron Hunt didn't like his Hot Orange/Yellow shoes Santa bought him for Christmas-he was uncharacteristically sluggish in first half but ended with 12 rebounds after changing back to his normal shoes at halftime-has now led SMU is rebounding in 4 straight games and 6 of last 8 games

Now averaging about 7.5 rpg in about 21 minutes per game-so as a full time starter that would project to about 12 rpg

I noticed the shoe switch, that was pretty funny.

Best defense we have played this year. Also, the first time this year we realized we had a size + athleticism advantage and started going to to hole. Yes, it was ECU, but a 28 point conference win is still nice and better than expected. 7 player rotation, and then the three others are available when there is foul trouble. Jarrey still doesn't look quite right, but man Whitt has been fantastic the past several games. Really exciting to watch him grow. Took over mid point of the first half when nobody else was doing anything and got us the lead.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:21 am

we went to the hole without passing too much often with 3 or 4 defenders closing in on the penetrating player-that's when we need to make the extra pass but the trailing players on numerous occasions just watched instead of positioning themselves for the extra pass. There were exceptions but we wasted a lot of scoring opportunities. Mike, Chargois and Feron Hunt really need to work on the extra pass after the defense collapse on them because they aren't very good at finishing in a crowd
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyKai » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:20 am

mustangxc wrote:

No it doesn't. We'll get slaughtered for an absolutely abysmal OOC and no one can complain when we get relegated to the NIT. Malpractice by Jankovich.
PonyKai

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:27 am

Probably have to win the AAC tournament at this point.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:32 am

Rebel10 wrote:Probably have to win the AAC tournament at this point.

Yup. Even 3 quality wins out of 4 or 4 out of five counting the AAC tourney vs Houston and Cincy may not help us. We cooked our own goose with that OOC.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:29 am

It depends on how conference shakes out.

We all know that Houston and Cincy are at the top. If there are several teams below that - us, UCF, Memphis, Tulsa, UConn, Temple - all bunched up, it is a two bid lead.

If a third team is able to separate and get a couple of wins against Houston/Cincy without any stinkers, then it becomes a three bid league.

The margin is very slim because of the non-conference schedule and the non-conference performance of the rest of the league. But I think a 4 loss conference season (MAYBE 5 if everyone else is in the middle o the pack) gets us in. Regardless of what team it is, I think there has to be a clear separation between the third and fourth teams for this conference to get a third bid. Unless of course Cincy or Houston are the third place team.
JasonB

Postby digman52 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:58 am

I was really hoping that Jaray would get back his crazy jumping ability, but when he got stuffed against the rim on a dunk attempt, it looks like he still has a ways to go. He does still have the energy, but the shot is not back yet. He did get the crowd going on a put back dunk last night.

I would guess the crowd was closer to 3,000 last night.
digman52
Junior Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:18 am

Too bad that some of the dunks last night got rejected by the basket.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball