PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

18-12 regular season...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 18-12 regular season...

Postby horsemanx » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Terry Webster wrote:And did you see the tie Jank was wearing last night? Hideous and not SMU worthy.

Wasn't that for the literacy thing?

Surprised Jank didn't tweet something about it.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby mrydel » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:34 pm

They did a segment on it during the game
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:36 pm

I haven't heard this much panic since I spoke to my stock broker this afternoon.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:51 pm

Topper wrote:I haven't heard this much panic since I spoke to my stock broker this afternoon.

Yours is still living?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby The Falcon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:37 pm

Terry Webster wrote:And did you see the tie Jank was wearing last night? Hideous and not SMU worthy.

Terry - here is some news from SMUMustangs.com about the green ties. In the Postgame presser
Jank also answered questions about the ties. He praised Jonathan Wilfong for founding the
movement.

COACHING FOR LITERACY: The game versus ECU was SMU's Fight for Literacy Game in partnership with Coaching for Literacy. This is the fifth straight season SMU has participated in the event to support a local literacy program partner (Readers 2 Leaders). To raise awareness about the issues connected to illiteracy, the SMU coaching staff wore Green for Literacy. Fans can join the #Fight4Literacy by pledging a donation for each assist recorded by the Mustangs over four games from from Jan. 2 - Jan. 12 (https://pledgeit.org/mustangsforliteracy). Jonathan Wilfong (SMU '17) and Andrew Renshaw, two then-high school seniors from Memphis, Tennessee, founded Coaching for Literacy in 2012.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:10 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote: Don't know why anyone would think Cook has a guaranteed career here, regardless of medical issues.

Didn't Jank already come out and say he would honor Cook's 'ship whether he could play or not?
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:15 pm

skyscraper wrote:18-12 would not be a success, but I fear it would allow Jank to hold onto his job and do a full JJ teardown of the program.

At 10-4 now, I think everyone would be disappointed with an 8-8 finish but I agree it might be enough for Jank to get another year. I'm getting tired of the TV guys constantly echoing the probation impact on the program but tonight they actually praised the incoming class and said the goal/expectation is to reach the NCAA tourney EVERY year...beginning NEXT year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:13 pm

we've already got 4 solid starters and/or potential stars returning next year-and recruiting ain't over. There are 100s of experienced upperclassmen looking to grad transfer these days. I'd put Feron in at the wing to add with Chargois, Mike and Whitt. Just need a true PG, Bandoumel will contribute and fill out the recruiting class with some quality and we could get there. Seriously things aren't nearly as bleak as some are suggesting
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote: Don't know why anyone would think Cook has a guaranteed career here, regardless of medical issues.

Didn't Jank already come out and say he would honor Cook's 'ship whether he could play or not?

Yes we would honor his scholarship even if he couldn't play, but it wouldn't count against our scholarship total because he would be medically retired.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:35 am

Stallion wrote:we've already got 4 solid starters and/or potential stars returning next year-and recruiting ain't over. There are 100s of experienced upperclassmen looking to grad transfer these days. I'd put Feron in at the wing to add with Chargois, Mike and Whitt. Just need a true PG, Bandoumel will contribute and fill out the recruiting class with some quality and we could get there. Seriously things aren't nearly as bleak as some are suggesting

There are many un-answered questions.

Do White and McBride become William Douglas or Sterling Brown?
Does Bandoumel pan out like Mike is?
Is Jasey the next JT.
Can the little guy come back from a stroke or is he done?
Does McMurray get another year?
Can Jank get the “point guard of the future?”

And.... can we make Moody great again?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
skyscraper wrote:18-12 would not be a success, but I fear it would allow Jank to hold onto his job and do a full JJ teardown of the program.

At 10-4 now, I think everyone would be disappointed with an 8-8 finish but I agree it might be enough for Jank to get another year. I'm getting tired of the TV guys constantly echoing the probation impact on the program but tonight they actually praised the incoming class and said the goal/expectation is to reach the NCAA tourney EVERY year...beginning NEXT year.

Yep, this is why I am so vocal about wanting to see SMU fail this season.

Cupcake OOC schedule and a conference were UConn, Wichita State, Memphis and Cincy, the traditional power broker schools, are all having down years to the surprise of nobody.

We are 10-4 and have played, what...2 games on the opposing teams' court? Georgetown and Tulane and both were like Moody during the Doh era, dead. UConn will hopefully be hostile and it will be interesting to see how they perform, although the Huskies aren't that good this season.
SoCal_Pony

Postby geezerdonk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:51 pm

McBride and Cook are Douglas and Landrum 2.0 - two more wasted scholarships. Will Cook recover his health?
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:16 pm

geezerdonk, you were a great coach and AD. always value your posts because of that
ponyboy

Postby smupony94 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:45 pm

geezerdonk wrote:McBride and Cook are Douglas and Landrum 2.0 - two more wasted scholarships. Will Cook recover his health?

McBride Pride is killing it right now against real competition unlike the others you mentioned
smupony94

Postby Stallion » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:54 pm

Austin Westlake actually beat Lake Travis earlier this year for I believe their only loss and McBride was the MVP
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball