PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

18-12 regular season...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 18-12 regular season...

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:01 am

While I agree with questions on Jank and obviously from my signature, I’m with moving on to another coach. I will say this: the biggest mistake was taking the post season ban the year that we probably had the best team in our recent history, if ever. I get the recruiting element but honestly getting the possibility of going deep in the tournament would have offset if not gain more than the path we took. Now we are just the team with past problems and no post season success. Sorry just had to throw that out there.

To Stallions point, there’s still time to see the final class but Jank, to my limited knowledge, has not pulled on his own a great recruit other than SirNic.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby The Falcon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:45 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
Stallion wrote:we've already got 4 solid starters and/or potential stars returning next year-and recruiting ain't over. There are 100s of experienced upperclassmen looking to grad transfer these days. I'd put Feron in at the wing to add with Chargois, Mike and Whitt. Just need a true PG, Bandoumel will contribute and fill out the recruiting class with some quality and we could get there. Seriously things aren't nearly as bleak as some are suggesting

There are many un-answered questions.

Do White and McBride become William Douglas or Sterling Brown?
Does Bandoumel pan out like Mike is?
Is Jasey the next JT.
Can the little guy come back from a stroke or is he done?
Does McMurray get another year?
Can Jank get the “point guard of the future?”

Sadder - this may be the best post you have made on this board. I share your interest in the
answers. Let us hope that the answers are all positive for the Mustang's future. Maybe not
all but I would take four and lose two. It will be interesting to see the answers play out.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:40 pm

I would also suggest that the current class of frosh were ridiculed for a variety of reasons - Hunt wasn't as good as the TCU guy, who the hell is White and Young should be a walk-on. And people were saying this class was a repeat of Douglas-Eli.

Turns out that Jank may have done the right thing with choosing Hunt even though it cost us the other guy, and White and Young both look like develop-able pieces. And looking at next season's needs, recruiting a JUCO guard over another big was probably the right decision as well.

Why don't we see how this season plays out before we root against Jank to fail?
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:00 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:While I agree with questions on Jank and obviously from my signature, I’m with moving on to another coach. I will say this: the biggest mistake was taking the post season ban the year that we probably had the best team in our recent history, if ever.

I think our biggest wasted opportunity came when we lost to UCLA in the '15 tourney. We were flat, sluggish, game should never have came down to the bad goaltending call. More importantly, our next opponent was going to be UAB that had pulled an upset over #3 Iowa State.

We take care of business against the Bruins, then defeat #14 seed UAB, we are now a Sweet 16 team and get a full week of amazing publicity. We then face a Gonzaga team that was considered good but hardly elite.

Huge miss for our program.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:06 pm

JasonB wrote:I would also suggest that the current class of frosh were ridiculed for a variety of reasons - Hunt wasn't as good as the TCU guy, who the hell is White and Young should be a walk-on. And people were saying this class was a repeat of Douglas-Eli.

Turns out that Jank may have done the right thing with choosing Hunt even though it cost us the other guy, and White and Young both look like develop-able pieces. And looking at next season's needs, recruiting a JUCO guard over another big was probably the right decision as well.

You are again creating narratives that don’t exist. No one said Hunt wasn’t better than Archie. In fact once Hunt got here we were all glad to get a top 190 kid. And he is playing like a top 190 kid. That’s why the coaching staff needs to land more top 190 kids. Stop the revisionsit history.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:21 pm

The Falcon wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:
Stallion wrote:we've already got 4 solid starters and/or potential stars returning next year-and recruiting ain't over. There are 100s of experienced upperclassmen looking to grad transfer these days. I'd put Feron in at the wing to add with Chargois, Mike and Whitt. Just need a true PG, Bandoumel will contribute and fill out the recruiting class with some quality and we could get there. Seriously things aren't nearly as bleak as some are suggesting

There are many un-answered questions.

Does Bandoumel pan out like Mike is?
Is Jasey the next JT.
Can the little guy come back from a stroke or is he done?
Does McMurray get another year?
Can Jank get the “point guard of the future?”

Sadder - this may be the best post you have made on this board. I share your interest in the
answers. Let us hope that the answers are all positive for the Mustang's future. Maybe not
all but I would take four and lose two. It will be interesting to see the answers play out.

Sadder is good, but I don't think that is his best post.

Really?

SMU is littered with enough JAGs over the past 30 years to fill a city dump.

Players that either left the program early (as Douglas probably will) or stayed and 'contributed', by having an occasional night where they scored 16 points and grabbed 8 rebounds and everyone on PFs talks glowingly about them......for that night.....all the while playing on a team that never competes for championships, plays poorly in conference tournaments and get fully exposed when playing ranked teams.

We have a loooong list of those players. Sterling Brown isn't one of them. He is SMU royalty.

I would compare White and McBride IF they stay here....to Robert Nyakundi or Mike Walker or Alex Malone or Devon Pearson. I certaintly would NOT compare them to SMU's all-time win leader who was instrumental in leading SMU to 2 AAC conference and tourney championships.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:30 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote:I would also suggest that the current class of frosh were ridiculed for a variety of reasons - Hunt wasn't as good as the TCU guy, who the hell is White and Young should be a walk-on. And people were saying this class was a repeat of Douglas-Eli.

You are again creating narratives that don’t exist. No one said Hunt wasn’t better than Archie. In fact once Hunt got here we were all glad to get a top 190 kid. And he is playing like a top 190 kid. That’s why the coaching staff needs to land more top 190 kids. Stop the revisionsit history.

Agreed Rebel. Very well put.... In fact once Hunt got here we were all glad to get a top 190 kid. And he is playing like a top 190 kid. That’s why the coaching staff needs to land more top 190 kids.

Also, to your point Jason. IMO Jank has ALREADY failed, monumentally. That's why I want him out. I posted the same thing with tiki. I wanted him gone a year prior as well.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 pm

Archie was rated higher than Hunt so I do remember some lamenting his loss to TCU and someone said Hunt may end up being the better prospect. Also, if one of our freshmen develops the way Nyakundi did I will gladly take it. At one point in his career Nyakundi was one of the national leaders in FG%. You can never have too many good shooters.
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:32 pm

SoCal:

You misunderstood my statement.

Douglas= fail
Sterling= awesome.

White and McBride have given us zero to judge so far.
When they have, and are done, how will they be regarded?

More like Douglas or more like Sterling?

That is the question.

And.... my BEST posts require tequila.That post had none.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:42 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:While I agree with questions on Jank and obviously from my signature, I’m with moving on to another coach. I will say this: the biggest mistake was taking the post season ban the year that we probably had the best team in our recent history, if ever.

I think our biggest wasted opportunity came when we lost to UCLA in the '15 tourney. We were flat, sluggish, game should never have came down to the bad goaltending call. More importantly, our next opponent was going to be UAB that had pulled an upset over #3 Iowa State.

We take care of business against the Bruins, then defeat #14 seed UAB, we are now a Sweet 16 team and get a full week of amazing publicity. We then face a Gonzaga team that was considered good but hardly elite.

I choose to blockout that game. Yes I completely agree that was a missed opportunity. I believe USC was another potential. Sadly, we are SMU and we just love being “that close” to the next step. :(
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:26 am

mustangxc wrote:Archie was rated higher than Hunt so I do remember some lamenting his loss to TCU and someone said Hunt may end up being the better prospect. Also, if one of our freshmen develops the way Nyakundi did I will gladly take it. At one point in his career Nyakundi was one of the national leaders in FG%. You can never have too many good shooters.

That is what I remember as well. It isn't revisionist history, some folks were coming on making the point that Jank blew it with Archie and that we were stuck with Hunt as a result.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:31 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:

I choose to blockout that game. Yes I completely agree that was a missed opportunity. I believe USC was another potential. Sadly, we are SMU and we just love being “that close” to the next step. :(

I was really disappointed with both, especially being there in person. The kids were super nervous in both games.

Looking back on it, we were in an unfortunate situation. When your program misses the tourney 20 years in a row, it is much better to either get your feet wet against a smaller team or play as the underdog with a chip on your shoulder. I'll argue that SMU was in the worst situation in both cases - a higher seed against a blue blood program. That's a lot of pressure on a program that hasn't won on the big stage in 30 years. The seeding in both cases really hurt us.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:13 am

JasonB wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Archie was rated higher than Hunt so I do remember some lamenting his loss to TCU and someone said Hunt may end up being the better prospect. Also, if one of our freshmen develops the way Nyakundi did I will gladly take it. At one point in his career Nyakundi was one of the national leaders in FG%. You can never have too many good shooters.

That is what I remember as well. It isn't revisionist history, some folks were coming on making the point that Jank blew it with Archie and that we were stuck with Hunt as a result.

That is revisionist but you do that a lot. No one said we were “stuck” with Hunt. In fact, since he was a top 190 player and most were happy SMU actually got him after Archie went to TCU. And like I said he is playing like a top 190 player. We will see how many top 190 players SMU lands out of high school.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:29 am

The more common comment in the Archie/Hunt thing is:

“Hunt fell in our lap when Archie committed to the Frogs.”

So maybe Archie falls in our lap now too!

Illinois, who appears to be competition, just signed a top 50 big for next year. (cockburn.... snatched him from UCONN too). Underwood is hustling.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:52 am

That was the comment. If Archie falls in our lap hopefully he develops good.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball