PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

18-12 regular season...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 18-12 regular season...

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:29 am

Stallion wrote:I think it involved the perception at the time that they were recruited for the same position-really not the case as Hunt develops more of an inside game-although I'd love to see him play as a wing-he's devastating on the break

Ah...remember the year we played "positionless" basketball because everyone on the team was 6'6" to 6'8" and could all handle the ball, pass shoot, defend & rebound? Can't ever have enough of those guys...especially if they have 3 point range.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Not so sure the Hunt/Archie issue hasn't been put to bed as we are in play there, but so are Tech and Illinois certainly. Another name to watch is Jordan Phillips, who is leaving Arky. We were in on him last year and have to think we would be heavily involved as a transfer option now. He or Archie would be very good fits for next year's roster, leaving another PG as the last definite "need".
RI Stang
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:37 pm

RI Stang wrote:Not so sure the Hunt/Archie issue hasn't been put to bed as we are in play there, but so are Tech and Illinois certainly. Another name to watch is Jordan Phillips, who is leaving Arky. We were in on him last year and have to think we would be heavily involved as a transfer option now. He or Archie would be very good fits for next year's roster, leaving another PG as the last definite "need".

Phillips might be a good get but if we got him and McMurray stayed we'd have more "twos" than Noah's Ark.

Bandoumel, McBride, White, Phillips, McMurray.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:43 pm

Phillips has been listed from 6-5 to 6-7 on latest Arkansas roster

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/jordan-phillips/
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RI Stang » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:47 pm

I think it's unlikely that McMurray gets the extra year, but if he does, still have to get the best talent possible, not to mention Phillips could play no earlier than this time next year. I don't see White being in the rotation and McBride is at best a question mark for next year's rotation as well. Also, if no Cook, either McMurrary (if he gets the extra year) or Bandoumel are going to have to spend some time at the point.

I take both Archie and Phillips in a heartbeat and let the rest sort itself out...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:51 pm

a Coach with job security would probably agree with you-but that would be a third non-playing transfer
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RI Stang » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:08 pm

I would argue it's perfect for Jank and falls in line with the excuses - "my best players aren't eligible yet" and then when they are eligible (assuming both could/would start playing in December) "it takes TIME to get them used to the system and firing on all cylinders".
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:40 pm

That 18-12 regular season finish is slipping away after losing to UConn tonight. Not going to have any easier road games unless we catch Memphis or Wichita on an off night. This team will have to be really strong at Moody, which they certainly have not been so far this season, to have any hope of finishing 10-8 in AAC play. Might have to beat both Tulsa and Houston in their next 2 games...but definitely Tulsa to have any chance. After tonight this is looking like a team that could easily finish 7-11 and 15-15 in the regular season...or worse if they shoot like they did tonight.

To finish 18-12 in regular season, I think they have to win 2 of their next 3 but my fear is that this team could get swept by Houston, Cincy, UCF and so we have to win games in Moody and beyond Tulane I'm not sure I like our chances of sweeping anybody in this league.
Charleston Pony

Postby RI Stang » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:04 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:That 18-12 regular season finish is slipping away after losing to UConn tonight. Not going to have any easier road games unless we catch Memphis or Wichita on an off night. This team will have to be really strong at Moody, which they certainly have not been so far this season, to have any hope of finishing 10-8 in AAC play. Might have to beat both Tulsa and Houston in their next 2 games...but definitely Tulsa to have any chance. After tonight this is looking like a team that could easily finish 7-11 and 15-15 in the regular season...or worse if they shoot like they did tonight.

To finish 18-12 in regular season, I think they have to win 2 of their next 3 but my fear is that this team could get swept by Houston, Cincy, UCF and so we have to win games in Moody and beyond Tulane I'm not sure I like our chances of sweeping anybody in this league.

Agree, probably even worse. I don't see many wins out there for this team - awful D and incredibly streaky shooting is not a recipe for success. The silver lining is if/when we finish under 500 overall, there should be no decision on what to do with Jank. Almost think you fire him for cause right now if the recruiting/transfer rumors are true.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby redpony » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 am

RI Stang wrote:
I don't see many wins out there for this team - awful D and incredibly streaky shooting is not a recipe for success. The silver lining is if/when we finish under 500 overall, there should be no decision on what to do with Jank. Almost think you fire him for cause right now if the recruiting/transfer rumors are true.

Not aware of the transfer/recruiting you refer to. Are you saying we have some (important) players who are going to be transferring out? We all know tankovich's recruiting is as bad or worse than JJ's.
redpony

Postby Fresno Mustang » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:That 18-12 regular season finish is slipping away after losing to UConn tonight. Not going to have any easier road games unless we catch Memphis or Wichita on an off night. This team will have to be really strong at Moody, which they certainly have not been so far this season, to have any hope of finishing 10-8 in AAC play. Might have to beat both Tulsa and Houston in their next 2 games...but definitely Tulsa to have any chance. After tonight this is looking like a team that could easily finish 7-11 and 15-15 in the regular season...or worse if they shoot like they did tonight.

Finish remotely close to .500 with the division III schedule jank put together and the aac in a down year is pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:25 pm

*would be. Season ain’t over
ponyboy

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:28 pm

smupony94

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:15 am

And now on to Memphis. Winner still has a chance of finishing in the top 4 but right now it looks like Houston, Cincy, Temple and UCF are likely going to get those 1st round byes and the rest of us fighting it out in "middle of the pack" status...and then there is Tulane. Lose at Memphis and you can kiss that 18-12 finish good-bye, which is what I'm expecting at this point after watching this team against Houston.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:22 am

Just as a note to the Jank supporters trying to say that 18-12 is a good season. It’s not and will not get SMU to the NCAA tournament. Stop pushing the 18-12 goal narrative mess.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball