PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU @ UConn Game Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU @ UConn Game Thread

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:30 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:When the season began, we knew we needed all of these things to be true to have any chance at post season play:

1. Foster needed to be healthy and at full strength by mid-season. In fairness to him, that was probably too much to ask. But it’s clear his body doesn’t do what his mind wants it to do. Foster last year would not have had 3 of his shots blocked in 1 game.

2. Whitt would have to improve and find his shot. He has succeeded.

3. Chagy would improve and become a solid 13-15 ppg, 6-7 rebounds. With his new body, he would fly down the court and be a presence. He’s not better this year.

4. McMurry would need to play some defense and be a leader. He’s a gunner and when he’s on, he’s deadly. But when he’s off, the team suffers and he doesn’t make those around him better.

5. I. Mike would be a force (sometimes). For the first 8-9 games, he had no lift. Lots of travel. Outmuscled by lesser foes. He’s probably where he should be, but he can’t help carry the team. He’s complimentary at best.

6. F. Hunt. After the 4th game I posted “he needs to start.” He is the only player that we can say “he’s the future.” I can see him becoming the leader midway through next year.

7. Douglas. We hoped for 10-12 solid improved minutes and play. He’s regressed. Not sure why, but he’s clearly not comfortable.

8. Dixon. He has played well but he’s not a difference maker.

9. Young. We won’t know until next year but I’m optimistic about him.

10. Rest are the rest.

So outside of Jimmy Buckets and Feron, the team has not risen because the individuals have not elevated their individual games (except for Foster given his injury).

I think that’s a good overall assessment.

I would add that we are so reliant on McMurray, that even when he’s having an off-night, he has to keep shooting because we are so limited in our offensive options.

Your comments on Dixon and Young are too kind. If we were the Top 30 team we all strive to be, I don’t see either on this team.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:37 am

Just a question - I am out of the country and wasn't able to watch the game.

How did we shoot so poorly, allow UConn to shoot so well, had multiple players in foul trouble and still only lost by 10 on the road and had a chance to come back down by 6 with a few minutes left? Seems weird?

When I look at the numbers it seems like we should have been blown out...
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:22 am

JasonB wrote:Just a question - I am out of the country and wasn't able to watch the game.

How did we shoot so poorly, allow UConn to shoot so well, had multiple players in foul trouble and still only lost by 10 on the road and had a chance to come back down by 6 with a few minutes left? Seems weird?

We outrebounded UConn 41-26, had 8 steals and took 66 shots to their 42. Allowed UConn to shoot better than 50% including 9-19 from three while we shot 35% but only 3-23 from three. Had plenty of good looks from three so despite taking some bad shots, our guys missed plenty of wide open looks...and a dunk late in the game. Also allowed a critical offensive rebound off a missed FT when we had gotten to within 7 and had a chance to get back into the game.
Charleston Pony

Postby RI Stang » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:31 am

JasonB wrote:Just a question - I am out of the country and wasn't able to watch the game.

Offensive rebounding was very good, kept us in it. Of course with the number of shots we missed, there were lots of opportunities...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:34 am

JasonB wrote:On the plus side, at least expectations for the program are still high when we are 2-1 in conference, lost at UConn and are declaring its time to cancel the season.

UConn lost at Cincy in OT and we managed to blow out Tulsa. Maybe it isn't time to cancel the season just yet...
JasonB

Postby PonyKai » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:19 pm

JasonB wrote:
JasonB wrote:On the plus side, at least expectations for the program are still high when we are 2-1 in conference, lost at UConn and are declaring its time to cancel the season.

UConn lost at Cincy in OT and we managed to blow out Tulsa. Maybe it isn't time to cancel the season just yet...

Weird, it's almost like our entire offensive philosophy--to the extent we even have one--is to jack up a bunch of 3s and hope McMurray goes ham. And it didn't happen against one mediocre-at-best team, and did happen against another mediocre team.
PonyKai

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:40 pm

As a side note, one of the takeaways that I have is that it takes two years to get integrated into the team offensively.

Gu was a disaster his first two years after transferring with immediate eligibility. McMurray has been on campus now for 2 years and finally looks like he understand the offense.. We held out Semi after he was around for 1.5 years, so we didn't see him early after the transfer, but he was good to go in year 2. Mike has been on campus for 1.5 years but still not quite fitting in. Whitt looks much better this season. Dixon doesn't quite look like a smooth fit.

Not sure if it is a coaching issue or the "practice" thing... but the last transfers I remember coming in a being a stud immediately were Tolbert and Moore. Nic was even shaky his first year with the turnovers and the streaky offense.

Just pointing out that next season could really be ugly offensively, even if we get a good frosh guard to go along with the JUCO. Both will come in after not spending much time with the team and the system... not sure if there is much past history under either Jank or LB to indicate an immediate plug and play success?
JasonB

Previous

Return to Basketball