PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulsa @ SMU Game Thread (Ira Terrell Jersey Retirement)

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tulsa @ SMU Game Thread (Ira Terrell Jersey Retirement)

Postby Horseshoe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:09 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
skyscraper wrote:Unexpected blowout.
Shots were falling from everyone.

TULSA played as poorly tonight as we did at UCONN.

We got “good Jahmal” and “good Ethan” tonight.

As mentioned by everyone.... conference is going to be interesting this year.

Sounds like we played well at Connecticut but shots weren't falling. I didn't see the game.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:35 am

ponyboy wrote:Big of you to watch your alma mater.

Hard to watch majority of the time. I’m glad I missed UCONN. I’m dreading next year about because like the announcers said 3 of our 5 losses came with JF. If he’s the key, and he doesn’t get another year, we screwed.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:52 am

Great bounce-back win.

Now wait until Thursday to find out if we should fire Jank and cancel the season or if we are now the favorites to win conference and make a run in the NCAAs.

They probably hype of the American conference because they have the TV rights. That certainly factors in.

They probably talk about Jank and the challenges because they like him. And it is as close as they are going to get to ripping on the NCAA.

If we go 12-6, that is probably the nightmare scenario for a lot of you. Would make us 20-10 overall, we don't make the tourney with 10 losses, go to the NIT and Jank probably sticks around. Better record than that, then it means we have enough quality wins in conference to make the tourney. 10-8 in conference or worse and Jank is gone for sure. I think that 12-6/11-7 area is the grey area where anything could happen.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:38 am

At this point I think it’s safe to say Jank is here through the end of the season. In the words of the great Jerry Jeff Walker we are “just gettin’ by By gettin’ by.”

Next test: Houston.

They pretty much did exactly what we did to Tulsa when Tulsa visited them. Almost exactly the same margin.

Beating Houston at Moody will be a very tall order and a very different game plan than vs TULSA.

It will take an off night for the Coog’s gunners, no foul trouble for us and an above average night for the Mustangs in shooting, rebounding, turnovers and assists. That’s a butt load of ifs.

Back to Jank: Rob Evans is watching you pal.

In the words of Elmer Fudd:

“Be vewy vewy quiet..... we’re huntin’ wabbit.”

How Jank manages the recruiting and roster moves from here SHOULD (my emphasis on that word) determine his fate as much as our W-L from here.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:24 am

JasonB wrote:
If we go 12-6, that is probably the nightmare scenario for a lot of you. Would make us 20-10 overall, we don't make the tourney with 10 losses, go to the NIT and Jank probably sticks around. Better record than that, then it means we have enough quality wins in conference to make the tourney. 10-8 in conference or worse and Jank is gone for sure. I think that 12-6/11-7 area is the grey area where anything could happen.

I can confidently say there is NO CHANCE Jank gets fired at 11-7 or better in conference. He has support from a lot of people who matter in the decision making process. I’m not personally talking about if he should be fired but just saying his seat isn’t near as hot as you think.

On another note, great bounce back win. Team played great. Huge game on Wednesday. It is the teams chance at a galvanizing moment.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 am

Happy to hear that people behind the scenes that are in much more power than posters on ponyfans.com support Jank and recognize what a great coach we are lucky to have. Jank is now 67-26 (W-L) 72% at SMU.

This season in The American Conference is going to be a wild ride. Cinci almost lost their last 2 games. What a game last night against UCONN. Wow!

SMU is now 11-5 and 3-1 in the American. We took care of business yesterday. Our guys really played together on offense and defense. Chagois played a good game. Chagois showed intention with his play. Looked like we were running the offense through Chagois at times. Good to see. Chagois back to the basket, inside-outside, kick out. Move the ball and good things can happen. McMurray got his and he is going to get his. We do not need to run the offense through McMurray. We need more touches for Feron and Jarray. Hard to watch Jarray still not at full strength, but truly appreciate his leadership and heart. The guy is a winner! Our guys really looked good on defense too. Not perfect, but much better. All games are important games. Congrats on taking care of business! Beat Houston! Pony up!
Last edited by Wild Mustang on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:42 am

too often when the ball goes in to Chargois it "just kind of lays there" until he's surrounded by 2-3 players-same with Mike -Chargois moved the ball better in the 2nd half. Foster still has that mindset to give the ball up and it will come back to you. Really missing a Ben Moore type that spreads the ball around. There has been some improvement in this area especially after Foster returned but need a lot more to reach the next level
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:46 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:
JasonB wrote:

I can confidently say there is NO CHANCE Jank gets fired at 11-7 or better in conference. He has support from a lot of people who matter in the decision making process. I’m not personally talking about if he should be fired but just saying his seat isn’t near as hot as you think.

On another note, great bounce back win. Team played great. Huge game on Wednesday. It is the teams chance at a galvanizing moment.

“He has support from a lot of people who matter in the decision making process.” What morons do we have in the decision making process? They clearly inherited their money and not earn it. Good business leader have to enough that attendance has shot down, overall performance has dropped, and recruiting is a joke. Any leader would write the balance off and start fresh.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:Happy to hear that people behind the scenes that are in much more power than posters on ponyfans.com support Jank and recognize what a great coach we are lucky to have. Jank is now 67-26 (W-L) 72% at SMU.

You've got to be sh*tting me.
PonyKai

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:34 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:
JasonB wrote:

“He has support from a lot of people who matter in the decision making process.” What morons do we have in the decision making process? They clearly inherited their money and not earn it. Good business leader have to enough that attendance has shot down, overall performance has dropped, and recruiting is a joke. Any leader would write the balance off and start fresh.

David Miller doesn’t always look very happy although that could be due to EnCap these days.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Pony81 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:28 pm

David Miller didn’t inherit his money....

As long as he is invested in this program then we are in good hands. He won’t make a knee jerk decision but he will pull the plug on Jank if he thinks he’s not the guy. David realizes that our recruiting isn’t up to the level to be the program he wants but if he sees results on the court then he’ll give Jank more time to recruit with full scholarships available.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby 78pony » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Pony81 wrote:David Miller didn’t inherit his money....

As long as he is invested in this program then we are in good hands. He won’t make a knee jerk decision but he will pull the plug on Jank if he thinks he’s not the guy. David realizes that our recruiting isn’t up to the level to be the program he wants but if he sees results on the court then he’ll give Jank more time to recruit with full scholarships available.

Correct on all counts.
78pony
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Pony81 wrote:David Miller didn’t inherit his money....

Fair enough.
mustangxc

Postby BUS » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:11 am

Good to win against Tulsa.

Watching the UCONN game I got a bad feeling when they referred to the Referee squad as the God Fathers of college Bball. This group could do the NCAA finals.

Then Shag, Mike and another started had two fouls SUPER fast. Jank protested and was told to sit down and shut up. Meanwhile the same ref was covering his mouth and talking to UCONN coach and laughing.

We did not have a chance. Well yes, we did. We needed to shoot LIGHTS OUT and we did not.

Not a Bball guy but do have eyes.

That foul called on Ferron was a joke. Even the announcers just went silent.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby PonyKai » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:22 am

Fouls had nothing to do with why we looked like crap in Storrs and got slapped around and out-coached.
PonyKai

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball