PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kaden Archie

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Kaden Archie

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:05 pm

papawasamustang wrote:I’d rather have Gerald Liddell who’s @ UT right now. Better all around player than Archie. SMU will be his top choice when he leaves. A lot of competition for him, but it should be a layup for Jank, this is where he wants to be.
Don’t get me wrong, it would be great to have both, 2 huge upgrades in talent. Archie would be a nice fit for SMU, but needs to upgrade his outside shot.

So you’re saying Jank would take Liddell? Serious question.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:21 pm

If I’m SMU I would be willing to give him an extra year if it means adding several top 150 transfers that will be ineligible next season. We just need to add a top juco that can contribute immediately.
mustangxc

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:31 pm

mustangxc wrote:If I’m SMU I would be willing to give him an extra year if it means adding several top 150 transfers that will be ineligible next season. We just need to add a top juco that can contribute immediately.

So you’re saying Jank is willing to take any of these top 150 transfers? Serious question.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:46 pm

I have no idea what Jankovich is thinking I’m simply arguing that he should upgrade the talent on the roster any way possible.
mustangxc

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:46 am

mustangxc wrote:I have no idea what Jankovich is thinking I’m simply arguing that he should upgrade the talent on the roster any way possible.

But he won’t do it doesn’t matter
smupony94

Postby papawasamustang » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:54 am

What I'm saying is SMU is Liddell's #1 choice. I have no idea what Jank is thinking either.
You are talking about a player that is the same size as Hunt, but much more versatile.
Jasey & Liddell for Douglas & Ray would be a huge upgrade in talent, even if they are sitting out a year.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby PonyKai » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 am

papawasamustang wrote:What I'm saying is SMU is Liddell's #1 choice. I have no idea what Jank is thinking either.
You are talking about a player that is the same size as Hunt, but much more versatile.
Jasey & Liddell for Douglas & Ray would be a huge upgrade in talent, even if they are sitting out a year.

Which is, in a nutshell, why whether we paste a mediocre Tulsa team by 20 or make the NIT this year doesn't really mean a damn thing. The program will continue to decay under his watch.
PonyKai

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:35 am

...and also why I would be willing to extend his contract if he rectified the talent issue. I think he is a good enough coach, but his recruiting has left much to be desired given the strong position we were in when he took over both on the court and game day atmosphere. Honestly I would get rid of Hart before I got rid of Jankovich.
mustangxc

Postby PonyKai » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:22 am

Sure, he can fix the talent issue. But he won't. Because that's who he is and there's a lot of anecdotal and empirical evidence backing that up. And once we fix the talent issue, we can move on to scheduling scared, degradation of fundamentals, the beta mentality, constantly complaining about things he's known about for years, the lack of an offensive system, inability to roster plan, etc.
PonyKai

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:53 am

Jank talks repeatedly about how Larry left him with massive sanctions (true), but where was Jank when all of that was going down? In his mancave?
smupony94

Postby Wild Mustang » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Reality is sanctions happened and Coach Jank inherrited those sanctions be that he became Head Coach. Whoever became Head Coach inherrited the sanctions. No one is saying that he wasn't of the coaching staff. Someone had to coach the team during what has been called the worst NCAA Basketball sanctions in history. Jank stepped up under a less than desirable chain of events. I cannot imagine being in his shoes. Coaching and playing with six scholarship players a few years ago was beyond a monumental task as a coach. Winning 30 games. Are you serious? Coaching with your two best players (Shake and Jarray) out towards the end of last season combined with sanctions was quite an accomplishment. Looking forward to the day when Jank gets to coach a team with no sanctions and a full roster. Enough said.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:55 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:Coaching with your two best players (Shake and Jarray) out towards the end of last season combined with sanctions was quite an accomplishment.

I wouldn't call finishing the season 3-10 with two of those wins against East Carolina an accomplishment.

Maybe an excruciating and exhausting ordeal, but not an accomplishment.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:08 pm

For all the talk of "poor Jank" because he took over a team that would be dealing with reduced 'ships for years, the reality is that most teams are only going to give 7-8 guys significant minutes once conference play begins, so recruiting to and developing team chemistry is a really important part of a coaches job. Looking at our current roster and hoping Jank will run off Douglas and Ray and get into a pattern of weeding out a couple of players every year could prove short sighted. With 13 scholarship players, having some guys who spend a career as occasional contributors but solid practice players is not a bad thing,,,as long as there are 7-8 quality guys who can play at this level.

This thread started as a question of whether Archie would be interested in SMU and whether SMU remains interested in him. We'll see. Liddell is yet another question.
Charleston Pony

Postby The Falcon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:26 pm

papawasamustang wrote:I’d rather have Gerald Liddell who’s @ UT right now. Better all around player than Archie. SMU will be his top choice when he leaves. A lot of competition for him, but it should be a layup for Jank, this is where he wants to be.
Don’t get me wrong, it would be great to have both, 2 huge upgrades in talent. Archie would be a nice fit for SMU, but needs to upgrade his outside shot.

What makes you think Liddell wants to leave Texas? I haven't been able to find any comment about
his wanting to leave Texas. In his initial recruitment he had included us as one of his favorites, that he liked the school and Dallas, and that SMU was on the rise, but then he signed with Texas.

I have heard (from a very good source) that Archie may register at SMU this week, but I don't have
any proof as yet. We will see. What if we get Liddell and Archie (who could both play starting
in December 2019? Also Bryce Cook seems to be recovering quickly from whatever spell sent
him to the hospital and we have a defensive big man coming in from A & M. All this remains to be seen, but it is exciting to speculate what might be - If ifs and buts were candy & nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:36 pm

Christmas is almost a year away. I want our presents now!
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball