PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ira Terrell jersey honoring interview

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ira Terrell jersey honoring interview

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:42 pm

mustangxc wrote:Going forward I think the honor should be reserved for all-Americans only.

Nic Moore and that's it on the men's side.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:00 pm

mrydel wrote:Koncak will always be historically known for raising the bar in NBA salaries. That got him such recognition that I assume it filtered down to the ranks who made the decision. I have never understood the time it took for Gene Phillips to be recognized.

As a side note, Joe Klein (UA, Celtics,Bulls,et al) is a frequent guest here on a local radio talk show and he often speaks of his rivalry with Koncak as being very heated and difficult.

That was a true golden age for SMU Athletics, no doubt.

Pony Express in FB and competitive BB teams that hung with 2 of the all-time great teams of this region.

Arky teams led by HOF coach Eddie Sutton with 3 future 1st round NBA players in Klein, Darrell Walker and Alvin Robertson and the Coogs led by HOF coach Guy Lewis with 3 future 1st round NBA players in Hakeem the Dream, Clyde Drexler and Michael Young. UT was also good back then which of course made for a fun opponent.

Great memories for me being at courtside with hundreds and hundreds of fellow students.
SoCal_Pony

Postby The Falcon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Killen wrote:I only missed 3 practices during my 4 years. That's gotta count for something

John - that is a laudable feat and certainly worthy of a banner in Moody. Seriously - you might
be given an award for the player who made the most progress of any who played here. By your
senior year you really turned up the heat and deserved your nickname - "Shooter"
The Falcon
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:12 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
Agree. Same for Markus who was mentioned earlier. If we want to go down that path, why not Butch Moore or Billy Allen or Carl Wright or Larry Davis...it's a long list of talented guys who have played here but haven't been the dominant forces that Krebbs, Phillips and I.T. were. I even questioned Koncak at the time but do have to acknowledge he played against some great centers in his day.

Just curios, is there anyone who ever saw Gene Phillips, Ira Terrell and Jon Koncak all play who would rank Konack above them?

I saw them all and always felt GP and IT were better.

Agree
Charleston Pony

Postby Topper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:33 pm

IT is one of the great characters who ever played in Moody. I am too young to have seen Gene Phillips but as a kid I saw IT go up against Robert Parish when he was at Centenary and they were obviously the class of this part of the country. IT was a dominant force from day one but Koncak took some time to develop. I thought that Butch Moore was always under appreciated.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Basketball