PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:02 pm

because building a program is a chair step process not a miracle that happens overnite. You win by recruiting well and you recruit well by showing progress in winning. Arkansas has no QB that can lead them to a bowl in 2019. They have an outstanding recruit that they tried to get to school at mid-term but he couldn't do it. Hicks can come in with full command of the Offense so they can stair-step up to 5 maybe 6 wins and a bowl which in turn will make the recruiting sales pitch easier in 2020. Ben Hicks gives Arkansas the best shot at sterring-up-just like SMU did in Morris' 2nd year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:11 pm

I realize that actually playing the game and also coaching does not reach the football knowledge world of a trust attorney, but the good news is that we can just sit back and watch and see what happens. I heard first hand from Morris that Hicks was brought in for depth. Now let’s see if he can take the reins or not.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby dr rc » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Maryland78 wrote:Oh, and all of those testy non-conference games are at home!!

This schedule was built for Morris to show some progress...and give time for his top recruiting classes to kick in.

The schedule was set well before the Hogs even knew they were going to fire Bielema.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby Timothythegreat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:46 pm

It seems to me that people don’t understand that Chad is bringing in Ben for depth. The starting quarterback from last year that got most of the reps and was being counted on to improve with the rest of the offense is now gone. So now your best two options are your backup quarterback from last year and an incoming freshman who judging by his tape, will probably not be able to competently play in the SEC West until at least mid season.

Ben may not be an SEC caliber quarterback, But when you already had depth issues at the position and your number one guy decides to leave, you don’t have many options. At the very least, he is experienced and knows the offense And can help out in the quarterback room and with getting younger players meaningful reps.

Edit: Plus the fact that he decided to use a scholarship on him indicates that he thinks that Ben will be more capable than anyone else currently on his roster and /or doesn’t feel that he can land a JUCO or anyone else in the transfer portal. He doesn’t see ben as the answer, he sees him as a stopgap and the best option considering the circumstances. Ben hicks doesn’t have the talent or the upsideThat the incoming freshman does, but his experience will be better on the field than throwing The rookie into the fire while he figures out how to call the cadence, lineup the offense, and play in front of crowds with tens of thousands more people than he’s used to.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby footballdad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Ben should certainly lead the SEC in pouting, and poor body language. That should be a positive for Morris and the team.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Timothythegreat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:07 pm

footballdad wrote:Ben should certainly lead the SEC in pouting, and poor body language. That should be a positive for Morris and the team.

Don’t forget pick sixes.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Timothythegreat wrote: Ben should certainly lead the SEC in pouting, and poor body language.
Don’t forget pick sixes.

SEC defenses should have a field day with that.
redpony

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Stallion wrote:Correct Answer:

This gives Arkansas a legitimate shot *a* bowl game next year-might fall a game short. He doesn't have to beat the SEC -all he has to do is win 4 non-conference games and 2 SEC games and he's a big upgrade on what they had last year. I'd guess Arkansas gets at least 5 wins just like when SMU went from 2-10 to to 5-7 in Morris' 2nd year but was playing for a bowl at end of the season. If *you* betting that Morris isn't going to upgrade that program then this will not end well for YOU

Write it down
OTP spell check lol
One Trick Pony

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Stallion wrote:because building a program is a chair step process not a miracle that happens overnite. You win by recruiting well and you recruit well by showing progress in winning. Arkansas has no QB that can lead them to a bowl in 2019. They have an outstanding recruit that they tried to get to school at mid-term but he couldn't do it. Hicks can come in with full command of the Offense so they can stair-step up to 5 maybe 6 wins and a bowl which in turn will make the recruiting sales pitch easier in 2020. Ben Hicks gives Arkansas the best shot at sterring-up-just like SMU did in Morris' 2nd year

I didn't realize recruits were so easily bamboozled. My bad.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 pm

when you have 3 spots open for several 4 stars and several high 3 stars you don't waste a scholarship on a backup QB-of course, Morris said there would be competition but make no mistake they are planning on Hicks starting otherwise they wouldn't have offered due to the tight scholarship limit they are facing
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:58 pm

I'd be surprised if Hicks chose to transfer just so he could ride the pine and start working on a graduate degree at Arkansas, so I assume Morris told him he would be given every opportunity to be their starting QB and probably told him he's have a big advantage on the other guys just from his knowing Chad's offense so well. We shall see what unfolds, but it's not like Arkansas can be any worse than they were this year, right?
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I'd be surprised if Hicks chose to transfer just so he could ride the pine and start working on a graduate degree at Arkansas, so I assume Morris told him he would be given every opportunity to be their starting QB and probably told him he's have a big advantage on the other guys just from his knowing Chad's offense so well. We shall see what unfolds, but it's not like Arkansas can be any worse than they were this year, right?

I am sure Chad told Hicks exactly what he wanted to hear...

It's hammer down in 2019! Looks like the Missouri game will decide 6-6 or 5-7.

#WPS
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:07 pm

Unless CSU or WKU beats the Hogs in Arkansas!
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 am

Dear Mom and Dad:

Having a great time up here in Arkansas. I'm really busy squeezing in film study and weights between mowing Chad's lawn and vacuuming his pool. But living in his pool house is way better than any dorm room I had in Dallas. Some really great bars up here too.
Can't wait for spring practice so I can start throwing again. By that time I should know who plays offense and who plays defense.

Sooooooey,

Ben
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyTime » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:47 am

A one year stopgap before Chad's son can come QB the Hogs?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop