PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kaden Archie

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Kaden Archie

Postby smupony94 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:29 am

Any 5'7" , unranked, unsigned guards out there Jank should target?
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:35 am

mustangxc wrote:Rob Evans would probably be a downgrade.

I have no idea if he'd be better or worse than Jank. I see him as the admins watchdog on Jank. Maybe the eventual hatchet man, maybe the eventual interim coach if one is needed. They didn't hire a guy with all that experience and at this point in time to lick envelopes.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby RI Stang » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Stallion wrote:I'm sure if SMU was willing to extend his contract, he'd be willing to waste 3 scholarships for next year for kids who would be sitting on the bench next to him. Not many Head Coaches would take that hit otherwise.

Waste three scholarships on three players who would be amongst the top 5 most talented players on our roster? I don't get that logic at all. Build a roster full of talented players and get rid of the dead weight. That's hardly a waste. To me if it's NOT done then he should be gone. He has absolutely not proven that taking guys who can play right away (mainly HS kids) is a strong point. Of the 3 freshmen he brought in this year, only 1 can contribute, and the jury is out if the others can contribute two years from now. Taking talented transfers who WANT TO COME HERE is a lucky break to correct that vs being shown the door.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Rob Evans? Really?? We know he was Turner's guy at one point, but the man is 72 years old and not exactly Larry Brown 2.0! If Jank can't get it done here, SMU is going to need to find a young, energetic pied piper type recruiter who knows his x's and o's...and then be prepared to pony up and pay him well to lock him down if he can get this program back to the point of winning AAC championships and NCAA tournament games.

Meanwhile, we can all wait to see how this season and next year's recruiting class plays out.
Charleston Pony

Postby skyscraper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Jank's (lack of) recruiting is hopefully what gets him axed.
He might be able to squeak out a (falsely) OK record. But if admin and donors are paying attention to recruiting, that alone should get him canned in March.
skyscraper

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:37 pm

I'm having a good laugh too-I thought he was about 80 years old-he's been around since the early 1970s. He's not here to be a replacement coach
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:04 pm

RI Stang wrote:
Stallion wrote:I'm sure if SMU was willing to extend his contract, he'd be willing to waste 3 scholarships for next year for kids who would be sitting on the bench next to him. Not many Head Coaches would take that hit otherwise.

Waste three scholarships on three players who would be amongst the top 5 most talented players on our roster? I don't get that logic at all. Build a roster full of talented players and get rid of the dead weight. That's hardly a waste. To me if it's NOT done then he should be gone. He has absolutely not proven that taking guys who can play right away (mainly HS kids) is a strong point. Of the 3 freshmen he brought in this year, only 1 can contribute, and the jury is out if the others can contribute two years from now. Taking talented transfers who WANT TO COME HERE is a lucky break to correct that vs being shown the door.

That scenario isn't going to happen for the reasons I pointed out above.

The problem with Jank's recruiting isn't that he is bringing in players he wants to groom (White, Young, etc) with the back-end scholarships. And it isn't that they will try to keep Douglas and Ray around (I believe they still see high potential in both players and are willing to allow them to get healthy/develop). It's that has hasn't closed on a position of need yet for next year.

Hunt/Mike/Ethan with Ray/Young can be competitive in the AAC; I think Hunt and Mike will take significant steps forward with another year in the system. Whitt can be competitive in the AAC. White/McBride/Douglas may be solid reserves next season. He needs two guards who can play immediately in 2019 at a high level in order for us to compete. The JUCO is one. We either need another guard or McMurray to come back in order to compete for the AAC. I would actually be kind of pissed if he ends up not taking another guard and instead takes 3 transfers at the same position (ish), regardless of how they are ranked. Personally, I think we need another high quality guard in the class even if McMurray does, in fact, come back.
JasonB

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:18 pm

DITR freshmen that don’t even play much less contribute are a much bigger waste of a scholarship than top 150 transfers.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:21 am

mustangxc wrote:DITR freshmen that don’t even play much less contribute are a much bigger waste of a scholarship than top 150 transfers.

I'm not arguing that point at all.

But if you think SMU as a program is to the point where a top 150 player is going to transfer in and sit on the bench... we aren't there yet.
JasonB

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:18 am

JasonB wrote:
mustangxc wrote:DITR freshmen that don’t even play much less contribute are a much bigger waste of a scholarship than top 150 transfers.

But if you think SMU as a program is to the point where a top 150 player is going to transfer in and sit on the bench... we aren't there yet.

You take all three AND recruit your impact guard. Why does it have to be one or the other? Get rid of the dead weight. Strongly disagree that we can be competitive next year as you line things out. Hope I'm wrong, but NOTHING from White, Douglas or Young makes me think they can contribute next year. Jank is killing this program, that was on strong display last night and just makes me sick.

Anyway, doesn't matter, he screwed up the transfers so we'll keep waiting for that high impact guard to save us...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:30 pm

RI Stang wrote:
JasonB wrote:

You take all three AND recruit your impact guard. Why does it have to be one or the other? Get rid of the dead weight. Strongly disagree that we can be competitive next year as you line things out. Hope I'm wrong, but NOTHING from White, Douglas or Young makes me think they can contribute next year. Jank is killing this program, that was on strong display last night and just makes me sick.

Anyway, doesn't matter, he screwed up the transfers so we'll keep waiting for that high impact guard to save us...

My point is this - any narrative that he turned down 3 impact transfers is false. Top players aren't going to come to an SMU and sit on the bench. They come in when there is a clear path to the starting lineup. I don't know what is being reported elsewhere, but if you think these guys are going to transfer so they can sit on the bench again, you are crazy. It isn't like they are super 5 star athletes like Semi that are no-brainer starters at any program in the country except Duke.

The level of recruit currently being discussed is not coming to SMU as a wing player with Mike and Hunt on the roster unless they can really shoot the ball from the outside. They just won't do it. A center isn't going to come in either because we now have Chargios as a stretch 5 and the A&M kid to bang. They are going to come in if they are a 1-2 or MAYBE if they are a stretch 3.

If you take the emotions away, it is quite easy to call BS on reports that Jank is passing those transfers up. Because I don't think transfers at those positions would come here and potentially sit again. Those guys want to PLAY.
JasonB

Postby geezerdonk » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:09 pm

There is no reason to believe that Ray or Young can contribute, now or ever. White has shown nothing. There is an enormous mountain of evidence that Douglas will never contribute. McBride is a long shot, a real long shot. Bandoumel may be capable of giving some Dixon like minutes. Bottom line is that SMU is going to be getting a lot of walk on level minutes played next year - and maybe this year if Foster is done.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby ponypatrick » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:47 pm

mustangxc wrote:That is on the AD. That’s why along with the re-seat Hart has to go even more so than Jankovich.

Agree completely................the re-seat fiasco showed just how out of touch with reality Hart is and
did more than anything else in my 50+ years of supporting the Ponies to dim my enthusiasm .
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby horsemanx » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:56 pm

ponypatrick wrote:
mustangxc wrote:That is on the AD. That’s why along with the re-seat Hart has to go even more so than Jankovich.

Agree completely................the re-seat fiasco showed just how out of touch with reality Hart is and
did more than anything else in my 50+ years of supporting the Ponies to dim my enthusiasm .

There isn't another AD in the country - certainly not P6 - who could keep his or her job if they lost 25% of their season ticket holder base in one of the two revenue sports in one season.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:07 pm

horsemanx wrote:There isn't another AD in the country - certainly not P6 - who could keep his or her job if they lost 25% of their season ticket holder base in one of the two revenue sports in one season.

Yeah, I’ve thought about that. Any plans by Hart of landing that plum P5 gig have been flushed, I would think for a minimum of 5 years, more likely forever.
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball