PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

HART: Who REPLACES Jank? What about Steve Alford?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

HART: Who REPLACES Jank? What about Steve Alford?

Postby smuhype » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am

Well after last night i will join the masses on needing a change.

Crowd is gone (Alumni and especially STUDENTS)
Pipeline of talent is non-existent
Effort on defense was dismal last night
ZERO movement on offense

But more importantly I am tired of the all the excuses at Pressers -- no scholarships, cant practice with less than 10 --- I get all that but he has been saying that for 2 years now as if he is preparing for his next job interview on why it all went wrong.

I guess the LARRY BROWN effect was in fact real in many more ways than I originally realized...
smuhype
Junior Varsity

Re: HART: Who REPLACES Jank? What about Steve Alford?

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:44 am

Pitino is the only coach that can get that stadium full again.
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smuhype » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 pm

We cant touch Pittino...
smuhype
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:52 pm

smuhype wrote:We cant touch Pittino...

Wrong! the admin would never let us touch Pitino. Besides he might bring back a winning atmosphere and get national attention. The admin. just wants us to be second level and totally obscure.
redpony

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:16 pm

smuhype wrote:Well after last night i will join the masses on needing a change.

Crowd is gone (Alumni and especially STUDENTS)
Pipeline of talent is non-existent
Effort on defense was dismal last night
ZERO movement on offense

But more importantly I am tired of the all the excuses at Pressers -- no scholarships, cant practice with less than 10 --- I get all that but he has been saying that for 2 years now as if he is preparing for his next job interview on why it all went wrong.

I guess the LARRY BROWN effect was in fact real in many more ways than I originally realized...

There isn’t another school in the country that would allow their HC to consistently bring up these “excuses” in a public forum like Jank has the past year and a half. He is basically trashing our program and those before him just to make himself look better. As someone posted on another board the guy never compliments the program and the school, or talks about our bright future, or talks up the players. Instead it nothing but excuses, sanctions and a poor me attitude. But to his credit, he is getting away with it. Apparently his bosses think that throwing this garbage out to the public is acceptable.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyKai » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:44 pm

redpony wrote:
smuhype wrote:We cant touch Pittino...

Wrong! the admin would never let us touch Pitino. Besides he might bring back a winning atmosphere and get national attention. The admin. just wants us to be second level and totally obscure.

lol okay
PonyKai

Postby mtrout » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Jank is the basketball equivalent of June Jones at the end.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:27 am

LA_Mustang,

In reading your posts over the years I was under the impression that you had some basketball knowledge or were maybe working for a shoe company with strong ties to recruiting. I was way wrong.

Your comments could not be further from the truth. You state that Jank is trashing our program to make himself look better. You state that Jank continues to make up excuses. I am an Alum and supporter of our school. I have never heard Jank "trash" our program. I instead see a coach who has continued to coach our program under difficult circumstances.

In multiple press conferences I have heard Jank talk about the value of certain players. See the latest press conference when Jank was pointing out how important Jarray Foster was to our team. See Jank's comments about Before Jarray and After Jarray. Jank does not make excuses. Jank lives in reality. Reality is that our program has been with sanctions for the past (what is it 3 seasons?). Reality is that our most experienced players get injured. Reality is that he has been coaching a team under exteremly tough circumstances. What does Jank have to do with injuries, players leaving early for the NBA Draft (Shake Milton), and sanctions under LB? Yes Jank was on the staff, but the sanctions were not placed on the program under LB, instead Jank inherited the sanctions. When you get a chance, take a step back and accept reality.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 am

reality is that LB built a good team and recruited well. The result was championship level bball. Jank inherited a team of talented players but eventually lost them.
Reality is that Jank is a failure at recruiting top level players. The result is we will likely be in the bottom half of the league this year and if changes aren't made we will be fighting for the bottom next year.

Reality is that Jank has taken a winning program and made it less than mediocre. Coaches aren't paid to make excuses they are paid to win.
redpony

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:15 am

Reality is that LB did not have recruiting restrictions, recruiting sanctions, loss of scholarships. Reailty is that LB recruited well. I am grateful for LB's recruiting efforts. Reality is that LB missed on some recruits too. Reality is that recruiting is not a exact science. Reality is that not every 4-star or 5-star recruit plays up to their ability on the college level. Reality is that LB left SMU with a mess.

Reality is that unfortunately Jank, as a Head Coach, inherrited recruiting restrictions, recruiting sanctions, loss of scholarships. People keep acting like all of these limitations should not affect recruiting. People keep acting like losing a player like Shake Milton early to the NBA should not affect a program. People keep acting like injuries do not matter. Jarray has been out for the better part of the past year. Milton missed the better part of the second half of last season due to injury. I do not get it.

I am looking forward to the day when the SMU Basketball Program is not facing any limitations in recruiting.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:56 am

Reality is Jank can’t recruit. Sanctions doesn’t change the level recruit you will with the available slot. Recruits don’t give an F about sanctions especially from some weird morality stand point. Jank hasn’t brought anyone good except Nic Moore. Please for love of God do not say he brought Hunt because he didn’t. He lost Archie and Hunt didn’t want to be on the same team so left for us.

Secondly, coaches make their mark in-game via timeouts and half time adjustments. Nothing changes during these potential adjustments because he doesn’t know how to draw up a scheme to counter the opponents plan like LB did.

These two big if not most important things are why people have #FireJank. I can’t speak to LA but I’m think when he says Jank is trashing the program; it’s through actions not words.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponypatrick » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 am

Wild Mustang wrote:LA_Mustang,

In reading your posts over the years I was under the impression that you had some basketball knowledge or were maybe working for a shoe company with strong ties to recruiting. I was way wrong.

Your comments could not be further from the truth. You state that Jank is trashing our program to make himself look better. You state that Jank continues to make up excuses. I am an Alum and supporter of our school. I have never heard Jank "trash" our program. I instead see a coach who has continued to coach our program under difficult circumstances.

In multiple press conferences I have heard Jank talk about the value of certain players. See the latest press conference when Jank was pointing out how important Jarray Foster was to our team. See Jank's comments about Before Jarray and After Jarray. Jank does not make excuses. Jank lives in reality. Reality is that our program has been with sanctions for the past (what is it 3 seasons?). Reality is that our most experienced players get injured. Reality is that he has been coaching a team under exteremly tough circumstances. What does Jank have to do with injuries, players leaving early for the NBA Draft (Shake Milton), and sanctions under LB? Yes Jank was on the staff, but the sanctions were not placed on the program under LB, instead Jank inherited the sanctions. When you get a chance, take a step back and accept reality.

Wow.....talk about lacking basketball knowledge......look in the mirror , Sir !
Another year or two with Jank and SMU will be wondering around in the desert without Moses !
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:01 pm

I just want to make a point with this that I think will serve as a middle ground...

Jank has stated, and I actually agree with this, is that his recruiting philosophy with a 13 player scholarship team is that you try and get 1 high level transfer every year (3 on the team at a time - 1 sitting out, one playing their junior year, and one playing their senior year), you recruit 1.5 4 star or high 3-end players every year (some of whom leave early for the NBA, so you have 5 on the roster at all times), and then you fill in the other spots with DITR who won't leave on their own and will grow into 4 year players who have solid roles off the bench their junior and senior year. Smaller hit rate, so you take 2 per year and have 5 on the roster at all times.

This means that you would have 2 transfers starting, 3 4 star or high end 3-stars starting, 2 of those higher end recruits off the bench, and then 2 upper class DITR providing your 8th and 9th spots off the bench.

When you look at the current roster composition:
- Transfers: we have four transfers playing, which is more than we normally should have. Whitt is a high quality player. McMurray is a streaky player with defensive limitations. But I think his limitations stand out because we don't have enough pieces around him. So, I think this is a good get from Jank. Mike might be questioned right now, but he is still an underclassman and I think has the ability to be quite good next year and the year after. But there was a little bit of a miss here in terms of a super high quality athlete coming in. Our transfers need to be players that take us over the top, not players that just fill a gap. So I think Jank gets held a little accountable here. The GT Dixon had to be brought in frankly because of other misses in recruiting in order to fill in a gap. He is a solid player, but if we didn't have other misses wouldn't be necessary, so that is probably on Jank. Next year, we have Whitt, Mike, and the A&M kid, so we are still on schedule.
- Higher-end recruits: We should have 5 of these. Right now we have Foster and Hunt. Hunt looks like a hit and would be one of the higher end recruits coming off the bench. Douglas was supposed to be one of these, but he was a miss in recruiting. The Aussie was a miss and transferred. Sed transferred. So, I would argue from a numbers perspective, those should be the 5 guys. We are short 3 guys; one of those is on LB, but the other two are on Jank. So, I think it is okay to be critical here. If we had effectively recruited in this area, we wouldn't have needed to bring in Dixon, for example. This is the most important area in our recruiting, and so there is a burden here on Jank. Next year, we have the JUCO coming in who I think fills one of these spots. But we need one more high end recruit to make up for the extreme number of transfers we are playing with right now, and it needs to be a stud guard.
- DITR recruits: We should have 5 on the roster if we have a full roster. Right now we have Ethan, White, and Young. We have missed on several of these the past couple of years, but frankly they were more casualties of the small roster and needing to plug in holes with transfers. The misses on the 4 star side have been way more critical. Ethan played early and has exceeded expectations. White and Young I think are going to be fine when they get to their upper class seasons. So, they fit the mold. McBride and shorty next year fit this mold. Those recruits aren't the problem either. And Ray is part of this, so if he comes back he fits the mold. If anything, Jank's recruiting has exceeded expectations here, but it doesn't make up for the failure at the high-end recruit spots.

So, what our roster comes down to right now from Jank's perspective is missing on Froling and Douglas. Whether those players were mis-evaluated by SMU, or if they were the only "quality" recruits we could get because of sanctions... I'm not sure. But either way, next year's team is going to live or die based on our ability to bring in two high-end recruits. We have one it looks like with the JUCO. But we desperately need one more to keep the thing from cratering, and it needs to be a guard. Jank has over-performed in the DITR zone, which is why we are still competitive. But he needs to succeed in recruiting at the higher end in order for us to compete for titles like we all want.
JasonB

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:08 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Reality is Jank can’t recruit. Sanctions doesn’t change the level recruit you will with the available slot. Recruits don’t give an F about sanctions especially from some weird morality stand point. Jank hasn’t brought anyone good except Nic Moore. Please for love of God do not say he brought Hunt because he didn’t. He lost Archie and Hunt didn’t want to be on the same team so left for us.

Secondly, coaches make their mark in-game via timeouts and half time adjustments. Nothing changes during these potential adjustments because he doesn’t know how to draw up a scheme to counter the opponents plan like LB did.

These two big if not most important things are why people have #FireJank. I can’t speak to LA but I’m think when he says Jank is trashing the program; it’s through actions not words.

Unbelievable. Now Jank cannot take credit for recruiting and signing Feron Hunt? Isn't Jank the SMU Head Coach. Isn't Feron Hunt attending SMU? Isn't Feron Hunt playing for Jank?

I have heard it all now.

By the way a 2 point game after half time. I am pretty sure that Jank made half time adjustments. SMU played a better team and we got beat. Credit to Houston.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:14 pm

Every time Jank (or the commentators) reference the fact that we are suffering the consequences of "the biggest penalty that the NCAA has ever levied on a program in basketball", I have immense anger - not at Jank, but at SMU and the SMU administration that let this happen.

Given the issues that went on at UNC, Louisville, Syracuse, etc, etc. - I still cannot believe that we allowed the NCAA to do what they did to our program.

As for Jank as a coach and recruiter - I will not go there. But where we are right now has everything to do with the Admin not fighting when they should have stood up and lawyered up like some of those other schools managed to do. I blame Turner and our feckless leaders.

the 2015-16 team should have been a top 3-4 seed in the tourney and should have been competing for the final 4. SMU Admin ruined that chance. They should have challenged the ban.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball