PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official: No. 21 Houston at SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official: No. 21 Houston at SMU

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:51 am

RI Stang,

Maybe I am not in the know... Who is this imaginary 4-Star Basketball Recruit who was willing to pay his own way to SMU that you claim Jank ran off?

Regarding other comments about lack of Seniors. I believe that we had one Senior on the roster going into the season. Jarray Foster. Having Seniors on a roster is a function of a number of moving parts from previous years. Players graduating. Players leaving for the NBA Draft. Players transferring in. Players transferring out. We did not just magically end up with one Senior on the roster. Do you really thing that there are 5-star graduate transfers out there looking to transfer? If so, please give me a list of all these 5-star graduate transfers who have transfered to other programs.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:55 am

[quote="Wild Mustang"]RI Stang,

Maybe I am not in the know... Who is this imaginary 4-Star Basketball Recruit who was willing to pay his own way to SMU that you claim Jank ran off? quote]

Kaden Archie
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:30 am

For those in the peanut gallery that still don't get it:

"Talk all u want about x& o’s but big time SUCCESS in college starts with recruiting !"
https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/1086298048546918400
mustangxc

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:00 pm

Kaden Archie. The same "Kaden Archie" who is riding the pine at TCU? The same Kaden Archie who is currently considering transferring to SMU according to posters on ponyfans.com

So Jank did not get Kaden Archie out of High School Ok. Now Kaden Archie is considering transferring to SMU. Does that make Jank a bad recruiter or a bad coach? Not so much.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:11 pm

He's a terrible recruiter given the situation he inherited, ie Moody Madness, Top 25, NCAA tournament teams, celebrities at all of our games, etc. If he hadn't struck out in recruiting as much as he has, we would still be recruiting from a position of strength. I don't take issue with his coaching ability, although this season we have clearly been a much better first half team which is indicative of a couple issues including lack of proper conditioning, lack of depth, and inability to adjust game plan to the opponent's adjustments. The lack of depth is partially due to sanctions, but it is much more due to his poor recruiting. Regardless of the number of scholarships available teams usually play 8 rotation players so the loss of scholarships shouldn't be as big an issue as it has been made out to be. If he had continued to take in top level transfers instead of the marginal HS recruits he continues to take we would be in much better shape right now.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:19 pm

mustangxc wrote:He's a terrible recruiter given the situation he inherited, ie Moody Madness, Top 25, NCAA tournament teams, celebrities at all of our games, etc. If he hadn't struck out in recruiting as much as he has, we would still be recruiting from a position of strength. I don't take issue with his coaching ability, although this season we have clearly been a much better first half team which is indicative of a couple issues including lack of proper conditioning, lack of depth, and inability to adjust game plan to the opponent's adjustments. The lack of depth is partially due to sanctions, but it is much more due to his poor recruiting. Regardless of the number of scholarships available teams usually play 8 rotation players so the loss of scholarships shouldn't be as big an issue as it has been made out to be. If he had continued to take in top level transfers instead of the marginal HS recruits he continues to take we would be in much better shape right now.

As I stated in the other thread, I would argue that what is hurting us isn't a lack of transfers. It is missing on Frolling and Douglas, the high end recruits that we did bring in.
JasonB

Postby CenTXpony » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:Kaden Archie. The same "Kaden Archie" who is riding the pine at TCU? The same Kaden Archie who is currently considering transferring to SMU according to posters on ponyfans.com

So Jank did not get Kaden Archie out of High School Ok. Now Kaden Archie is considering transferring to SMU. Does that make Jank a bad recruiter or a bad coach? Not so much.

Insert laugh here.

A Jank apologist at his finest. Sad.
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 am

Wild Mustang wrote:Kaden Archie. The same "Kaden Archie" who is riding the pine at TCU? The same Kaden Archie who is currently considering transferring to SMU according to posters on ponyfans.com

Oh my Lord, are you serious? It's amazing to me that we watched this EXACT thing happen with June and yet people still don't get it now that it's happening again. Although in June's defense, not sure he flat turned multiple kids down that wanted to come here that have more talent than 90% of the roster. If high end transfers fall in your lap - YOU TAKE THEM. Clearly he can't recruit, we have no bench to speak of (per Jank), and then the one recruit that fell into his lap he barely plays more than CJ. It is mind boggling to watch, something more has to be going on, no way that someone can be this incompetent.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyKai » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:14 am

Wild Mustang wrote:So Jank did not get Kaden Archie out of High School Ok. Now Kaden Archie is considering transferring to SMU. Does that make Jank a bad recruiter or a bad coach? Not so much.

You're not making the point you think you're making. Your example supports the affirmative on both points.
PonyKai

Previous

Return to Basketball