PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby Pony81 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:19 pm

I don't think the Jank's buyout is so large that it will deter Miller et. al. from writing a check to make a change. He isn't a name coach so we didn't have to overpay and overcommit like we did with JJ.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:56 pm

The cost of the buy-out is only part of the equation. You have to consider the cost of the drop in attendance. A drop in attendance of 4,000 per game at a conservative $25 per is $100,000 per game. We have 17 home games this year, that $1.7 million in lost revenue. Add in the donations required for prime seats, parking, and concessions and Jank is costing us an easy $2 million.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby skyscraper » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:11 pm

The Houston game, which arguably will be the best team that rolls into Moody this season, was barely half full. Both upper level endline areas were essentially empty. It will get worse if the losing continues.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:53 pm

I hate to be the one to say it, but if I was SMU I would at least table the option of firing Jank and hiring a cheaper coach. There is an entirely plausible reality that without the draw of an A-list name like LB (or Pitino) there is simply not the support in Dallas to justify the costs of a top coach. Unless we are going to the dance pretty much every year, the city of Dallas (and most of our alumni) simply don't care enough. And there are not many teams that are perennial dancers. Maybe it's time to admit that SMU basketball is not the draw (to fans or recruits) that we thought it was after a couple of years of LB. Get back to the 1500 and budget accordingly. It's still college hoops, its still fun, and every once in a while we will have a good team that goes far.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CenTXpony » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:20 pm

https://twitter.com/jankyvich/status/10 ... 62305?s=21

Anyone going to bing-, I mean fast track tonight???
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:37 pm

Only took 25 minutes for bingo
smupony94

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:I hate to be the one to say it, but if I was SMU I would at least table the option of firing Jank and hiring a cheaper coach. There is an entirely plausible reality that without the draw of an A-list name like LB (or Pitino) there is simply not the support in Dallas to justify the costs of a top coach. Unless we are going to the dance pretty much every year, the city of Dallas (and most of our alumni) simply don't care enough. And there are not many teams that are perennial dancers. Maybe it's time to admit that SMU basketball is not the draw (to fans or recruits) that we thought it was after a couple of years of LB. Get back to the 1500 and budget accordingly. It's still college hoops, its still fun, and every once in a while we will have a good team that goes far.

Respectfully disagree, when LB was around we had full houses every time especially in conference play. It’s also what Miller and the secondary funders want to contribute. Also consider the loss of advertisers (Park Place, Plains Capital, etc. You hire [deleted] [deleted] coach and all that goes away which is even a bigger hit to the pocketbook.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:I hate to be the one to say it, but if I was SMU I would at least table the option of firing Jank and hiring a cheaper coach. There is an entirely plausible reality that without the draw of an A-list name like LB (or Pitino) there is simply not the support in Dallas to justify the costs of a top coach. Unless we are going to the dance pretty much every year, the city of Dallas (and most of our alumni) simply don't care enough. And there are not many teams that are perennial dancers. Maybe it's time to admit that SMU basketball is not the draw (to fans or recruits) that we thought it was after a couple of years of LB. Get back to the 1500 and budget accordingly. It's still college hoops, its still fun, and every once in a while we will have a good team that goes far.

You have to build a program. That, and Dallas is a winners town. If the Mavs lose or the Stars lose, the AAC doesn't fill up either. It is what it is. All you are guaranteeing by hiring a low cost coach is that the 1500 will be back (probably 1000 instead because of all the recent bad taste).

Winning makes SMU relevant. And a big name coach is what will enable SMU to win. Being in Dallas will provide exposure to the NBA, so you want to target a coach who either has a strong NBA background or a strong interest in coaching in the league in the future. Fred, Jason Kidd, Avery Johnson, Dan Marleje. Those are the types of coaches you have to go after.... The good thing is that we have established that SMU is a cash cow when it is working. So it is worth the investment for the university and alumni.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Exactly Jason, in addition to my advertised point of view, it was I believe LA or SoCal that shared Mark Cuban’s blog about Moody. That was beyond fasicating and sad at the same time seeing where we are now.
Last edited by SMU_Alum11 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby panhandle_pony » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:00 pm

Good point. Look of the success at Grand Canyon because of Dan Marllege
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby horsemanx » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:00 pm

smupony94 wrote:Only took 25 minutes for bingo

Anybody know the record?
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:11 pm

horsemanx wrote:
smupony94 wrote:Only took 25 minutes for bingo

Anybody know the record?

He hit the first square in under 30 seconds
smupony94

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:44 pm

Loser Mentality.

Loser Mentality and not well thought out. If you truly believe this, let tank run out his contract.

Loser Mentality on so many levels.
SoCal_Pony

Postby CenTXpony » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:12 am

CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:27 am

The only thing SMU athletics does, and college athletics generally, is lose money. I would argue that the mentality that says the fan should be picking up the tab is the loser mentality. American college sports is, in my opinion, lost. I would take the old Moody any day over what we have now.

If you look carefully at what I’m saying you will realize that it contains a healthy dose of reality. I agree that if we hire a big name coach success is possible, I just think that it should be tempered be the concept that if you aren’t going dancing annually, or biannually the Dallas market is likely to get bored and get bored fast. Would SMU athletics ever make money? No chance.

You want my unfiltered loser mentality I would like to see college athletics completely redone so that academic standards mattered, there was no such thing as degree programs tailored for athletes, and so that teams actually represented the student body. I’d join the Ivy League in a heartbeat from that perspective even though it still has issues.

College sports is a business. It shouldn’t be and it’s ruined it. That said, I love my Ponies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball