PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Story about a 5 star OL under June Jones

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Story about a 5 star OL under June Jones

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:52 am

I know I am going to regret bringing this up, I'm just curious if anyone has more information...

I was at the basketball game tonight with a friend from Hawaii who knew a lot of the folks from June Jones' staff (also oddly enough knew Claude Mathis somehow). My friend was at SMU during the JJ era.

Anyway, he was saying that when June was coach here, he had a commitment from a 5 star OL. Would have been the top recruit since the death penalty. The player had been told verbally that he would be accepted to the school (he was an academic risk), but then later the school decided to tighten the admissions process, and he was denied admission in the spring. The story was that it was a kid local to the DFW area and it really hurt SMU's rep here in the area.

I wasn't provided with the recruit's name... so that's about all that I have on the story. We all remember June bringing something up about academic restrictions hampering recruiting efforts as well as the Johnny Football story, both of which most of us called him out on as BS. This isn't meant to try and remove blame from JJ, we all know that he and his staff bailed on recruiting at the end and killed the program. I just want to know if there is more to the story or not. It sounds an awful lot like what was happening during the KF and EM recruiting in basketball, where LB had to go to the Provost and beg them not to rescind the admission of those kids.

Thanks!
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Story about a 5 star OL under June Jones

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:21 am

Never happened-a 5 star means Top 35-40 players in the Country-the only way a 5 star would consider SMU is because he was already told he was a non-qualifier at every P5 in the country. Sounds like Devon Moreland who was a 4 star from California and signed with SMU but was a non-qualifier-never qualified after JUCO and I think is in the jailhouse today
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:35 am

Stallion wrote:Never happened-a 5 star means Top 35-40 players in the Country-the only way a 5 star would consider SMU is because he was already told he was a non-qualifier at every P5 in the country. Sounds like Devon Moreland who was a 4 star from California and signed with SMU but was a non-qualifier-never qualified after JUCO and I think is in the jailhouse today

I thought it was Moreland as well, but the point was made that it was specifically a local kid.

I also wouldn't doubt that it would end up being someone who couldn't qualify anywhere and never played. Just curious to hear if anyone else had heard the story...
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:41 am

I thought JJ was in on a big Polynesian kid from somewhere in the mid-cities or maybe even in Ft Worth and was hopeful of creating a pipeline because there was a significant number of quality players in that area and possibly at the same school. Just don't remember details.
Charleston Pony

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:44 pm

Wasn't OL but June did have an early commit at Hawaii I think and later contact with a DT who wound up an all american at Alabama. Can't remember his name but I think he was from Australia
RGV Pony

Postby footballdad » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:25 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I thought JJ was in on a big Polynesian kid from somewhere in the mid-cities or maybe even in Ft Worth and was hopeful of creating a pipeline because there was a significant number of quality players in that area and possibly at the same school. Just don't remember details.

Euless Trinity, Tongan
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:22 pm

Stallion wrote:Never happened-a 5 star means Top 35-40 players in the Country-the only way a 5 star would consider SMU is because he was already told he was a non-qualifier at every P5 in the country. Sounds like Devon Moreland who was a 4 star from California and signed with SMU but was a non-qualifier-never qualified after JUCO and I think is in the jailhouse today

Disclosure: hate the tiki [deleted]

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure I’m 2011 weeks prior to the ASU debacle that he had 1 or 2 5* WR recruits. It was going to be the best class by miles during post DP. Of course we lost them when JJ skipped and fell at ASU.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby No Quarter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:43 am

Sounds like maybe footballdad identified the player in question but I recall one year when coach Klemm had several good players looking at SMU although I thought they were all or mostly Californians and not sure there was an OL in the bunch.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:32 am

No Quarter wrote:Sounds like maybe footballdad identified the player in question but I recall one year when coach Klemm had several good players looking at SMU although I thought they were all or mostly Californians and not sure there was an OL in the bunch.

I think he nailed it as well. I remember he was excited about opening up a pipeline to Euless Trinity and the Polynesian population that he thrived with in Hawaii. It would make sense that JJ carried a grudge from that for a while.

Klemm was mostly california. He had a lot of relationships in the gym scene down there that got him connected to OL and DL. Did have a couple of receivers in the mix. We are lucky most of his recruits never made it in, he was up to all kinds of shenanigans.
JasonB

Postby mtrout » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:06 pm

June Jones is the best FB coach we've had since Bobby Collins. Sure he quit and cratered the program but he was rollin guru style for a while there before he got the SMU flu.

https://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Warrior-F ... 1573062820
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:13 am

mtrout wrote:June Jones is the best FB coach we've had since Bobby Collins. Sure he quit and cratered the program but he was rollin guru style for a while there before he got the SMU flu.

Maybe in terms of # of wins and post season but regular season quality wins, he only had TCU. At least we squashed top 10 Houston under Morris and always took care of business against lesser teams like NTCC. If the admin had canned June when the ASU debacle happened and got someone in by 2012, we might be in immensely better spot.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusportspage » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:32 am

mtrout wrote:June Jones is the best FB coach we've had since Bobby Collins. Sure he quit and cratered the program but he was rollin guru style for a while there before he got the SMU flu.

...SMU flu. :lol: I have gotten that before. It can be a real pain.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby White Helmet » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:52 am

We also had Levon Livingston a highly thought of JuCo this year. Now he is gone without playing a snap.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby Timothythegreat » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:27 pm

White Helmet wrote:We also had Levon Livingston a highly thought of JuCo this year. Now he is gone without playing a snap.

Wasn’t he the guy who got hurt during fall camp or spring? I wasn’t aware that he was leaving.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:47 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:At least we squashed top 10 Houston under Morris and always took care of business against lesser teams like NTCC.

True. Chad could always beat North Texas at SMU - unlike Arkansas. :lol:
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Return to Football