PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kaden Archie

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Kaden Archie

Postby smupony94 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:25 pm

JasonB wrote:
RI Stang wrote:
JasonB wrote:Archie wouldn't have made us competitive next year. Not saying that Jank will get a recruit that plays the 2/3 and provides a consistent shot... but that is what we need to be competitive.

Understand what you're saying, but do you think Archie would help (i.e. better than what we have now)? I fail to see how it is an either/or - to me it's painfully obvious the answer is BOTH. We are so far away from a point where we should be turning kids like this away. I can't come up with a better explanation than Jank is trying to get fired at this point, nothing else is remotely logical.

We only have one scholarship left, however, correct? After the season, maybe another one or two open up, but that is an unknown at this point.

Do you want Jank to fill up our remaining scholarship with a player who won't help us next year? Or do you want that scholarship held open for the next coach to fill? I'll take the latter...

He did so great filling the spots with development players (I’m being nice to the players) knowing Foster and Ray would be out this year
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Wild Mustang » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:59 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
Wild Mustang wrote:Not every player's decision revolves around SMU. Not every player's decision revolves around Jank. Move on. If a kid picks UTEP, not going to say that I understand his decision, but so be it. Getting back to reaity for a second, just because he was a relatively highly rated recruit does not mean his high school talent translates to college. I could be wrong, but I believe the kid was not getting a lot of playing time at TCU.

You sure tell a lot of people to “get back to reality” I got back there like you asked me to and I’m still waiting patiently for you answer my two simple questions - name one player the scholarship restrictions prevented Jank from getting? And please tell us what the dark cloud is that hangs over the program, other than Jank himself?

LA_Mustang,
Get over yourself and your superior attitude that you continue to use to make yourself feel good by bashing fellow mustang posters. No one has a magical list of players that SMU could have brought to SMU without scholarship restrictions. Stop denying that scholarship restrictions and recruiting sanctions have not affected our program. Unfortunately for Jank and Staff this is the world that he has been coaching in. Combining that with player injuries over the past 2 seasons make for a pretty bad situation. Regarding the dark cloud comment... Isn't it obvious? I used the words dark cloud, so what? SMU has hit with the largest NCAA Basketball pentalties in history. Use whatever words make more sense to you so that you can understand the severity and the trickle down effect of hurting our program.

I am very much looking forward to the day when Jank is able to coach a team with a full roster of players, no loss in scholarships, no recruiting sanctions, and a healthy roster. Pony Up!
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:
Wild Mustang wrote:Not every player's decision revolves around SMU. Not every player's decision revolves around Jank. Move on. If a kid picks UTEP, not going to say that I understand his decision, but so be it. Getting back to reaity for a second, just because he was a relatively highly rated recruit does not mean his high school talent translates to college. I could be wrong, but I believe the kid was not getting a lot of playing time at TCU.

You sure tell a lot of people to “get back to reality” I got back there like you asked me to and I’m still waiting patiently for you answer my two simple questions - name one player the scholarship restrictions prevented Jank from getting? And please tell us what the dark cloud is that hangs over the program, other than Jank himself?

I am very much looking forward to the day when Jank is able to coach a team with a full roster of players, no loss in scholarships, no recruiting sanctions, and a healthy roster. Pony Up!

I agree. That will be one hell of a high school team.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:07 am

Wild Mustang wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:

LA_Mustang,
Get over yourself and your superior attitude that you continue to use to make yourself feel good by bashing fellow mustang posters. No one has a magical list of players that SMU could have brought to SMU without scholarship restrictions. Stop denying that scholarship restrictions and recruiting sanctions have not affected our program. Unfortunately for Jank and Staff this is the world that he has been coaching in. Combining that with player injuries over the past 2 seasons make for a pretty bad situation. Regarding the dark cloud comment... Isn't it obvious? I used the words dark cloud, so what? SMU has hit with the largest NCAA Basketball pentalties in history. Use whatever words make more sense to you so that you can understand the severity and the trickle down effect of hurting our program.

Why can’t you answer his one question? Why does limited number of scholarships prevent quality? If we had quality players but they just get gassed in the 2nd half then okay I guess that makes sense. But we don’t have top quality players. We have McMurray who basically determines whether we win or lose and I believe he’s gone next year. Hunt doesn’t count as Jank recruit when his decision depended on who TCU brought in. At this moment, the only recruit Jank brought us that was good was Nic. That’s it. He’s given his limited scollies to kids who aren’t D-1. That’s why you are hearing this criticism and your counter argument is just excuses that we hear on a bingo card. I mean for goodness sakes Bill Embody is making fun of him and he’s generally against jokes.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Prideful Pony » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:45 am

I think the long and short of it is that you don't get to use scholarships as an excuse when you burned your last two on seat fillers. "Boy, we sure would be a better team this year if we had four seat fillers instead of two," said no one.
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:23 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote: Why can’t you answer his one question? Why does limited number of scholarships prevent quality?

Still waiting.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonyKai » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:34 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:

LA_Mustang,

Jank's a loser, a whiner, an excuse maker, and an atrocious recruiter. And, just for fun, it's not a "magical" list of recruits. There's a list of about 8 impact prospects he's personally screwed the pooch on, ensuring they went to play college hoops at other institutions. Sanctions have nothing to do with the fact that he, again, is a whiner, a loser, an excuse maker, and committing malpractice with his roster management and recruiting strategy.
PonyKai

Previous

Return to Basketball