PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jamal McMurry-Retroactive Redshirt?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jamal McMurry-Retroactive Redshirt?

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:08 pm

so apparently it was mentioned on TV broadcast-I guess there may be an argument that since he only played in 3 games in 2nd year at USF-he could get an extra year-but I'm not sure the new football red shirt year is applicable to Basketball. I've read about 5 articles saying it only applies to football but perhaps the NCAA is considering applying same rule to basketball which seems reasonable considering all the first semester transfers. NCAA has passed several rules that actually benefit players in last couple of years and definitely has decided to relax transfer rules

The old rule applied equally to ALL sports though as long as you didn't play in more than 20% of the regular season (12 games x .20= 3.2 games)-which was rounded up from 3.2 to 4 games. The new football rule was a set at 4 games and no longer was required that the player have a season ending injury in first half of the season. Applying same rule to Basketball you would get 30 games x.20= 6 games (with no round up)
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jamal McMurry-Retroactive Redshirt?

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:12 am

That would be huge for this program and might even result in next year's team being better than this year's, depending on whether a couple of guys can come in and contribute close to the same level as Foster and Dixon...which at this point still looks questionable. AND...it would be nice for the NCAA to give us a make up call after the probation they gave this program.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:30 am

Without Foster I don’t think next years team would be better but it would have him and Whitt in the backcourt for a full second year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:33 am

Rebel10 wrote:Without Foster I don’t think next years team would be better but it would have him and Whitt in the backcourt for a full second year.

NCAA gonna put us on probation just for asking.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:20 am

Rebel10 wrote:Without Foster I don’t think next years team would be better but it would have him and Whitt in the backcourt for a full second year.

Unfortunately, Foster isn't 100% yet, obviously...

I would bet that Hunt next year is better than what we get from a less than 100% Foster this year. White and Young will both improve to provide more depth, and the JUCO will be a nice replacement for Dixon. So IF McMurray comes back, the team could actually be better. However, I would be concerned if it just fills the hole of recruiting a high quality guard. You can see where the trickle down is Jank recruiting a guard he can "build", which will leave huge unknowns for the following year.

Unfortunately, I doubt this is allowed anyway.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:25 am

Foster’s leadership is what makes this team tick even more so than his being 100%. There is a noticeable difference on how this team played before Foster returned and after he returned. I think he is the MVP of the team.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:17 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Foster’s leadership is what makes this team tick even more so than his being 100%. There is a noticeable difference on how this team played before Foster returned and after he returned. I think he is the MVP of the team.

Agreed about Foster's impact. Foster knows how to win. I do think his return also overshadowed the impact of the emergence of Isiaha Mike who started to emerge right before Foster returned, which was a major boost as well. The hope is that Foster's attitude and culture is being passed on to Whitt, Mike, and/or Hunt who can carry that leadership and culture into the next season after experiencing and playing that way the whole season. I think those guys have the ability and personalities to be able to do so.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:59 am

Looking more and more like Jarrey's career is over, but how big would it be if McMurray gets another year here? Would be nice to return 5 or our 6 leading scorers next year. Any word on when we might hear something? NCAA isn't known for doing SMU any favors, but they at least have an opportunity to "make up" for the LB punishment, which in hindsight was overly harsh, especially when you consider the hand slaps given to Syracuse and UNC for their years of rampant academic fraud.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:44 am

Only probably a 10% chance.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... plits/2019

Check out his splits... home versus road and win versus loss. If he wasn't forced to be the primary scoring option he would be more of a weapon.
JasonB

Postby PonyKai » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:29 pm

So no McMurray, Dixon gone, Foster gone...what if Whitt decides to pursue a pro career or grad transfer? No talent walking in the door next season, this is going to get much uglier.
PonyKai

Postby RI Stang » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:33 pm

If you were Whitt and nothing changes heading into next season - why wouldn't you at least look at your grad transfer options? I wouldn't blame him one bit. Would suck for us and I hope and pray he's back, but completely understandable if he at least looks elsewhere.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby geezerdonk » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:49 pm

Any player who wants a positive college basketball experience should stay as far away from SMU as possible, most especially those currently on the roster who have remaining eligibility and prospective recruits. For their sake, I hope that those advising Whitt, Mike and Chargois are urging them to transfer. Hunt looks like he could contribute at a good program. He can save his career by transferring.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:54 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Any player who wants a positive college basketball experience should stay as far away from SMU as possible, most especially those currently on the roster who have remaining eligibility and prospective recruits. For their sake, I hope that those advising Whitt, Mike and Chargois are urging them to transfer. Hunt looks like he could contribute at a good program. He can save his career by transferring.

Really positive guy, aren't you?
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:25 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
geezerdonk wrote:Any player who wants a positive college basketball experience should stay as far away from SMU as possible, most especially those currently on the roster who have remaining eligibility and prospective recruits. For their sake, I hope that those advising Whitt, Mike and Chargois are urging them to transfer. Hunt looks like he could contribute at a good program. He can save his career by transferring.

Really positive guy, aren't you?

#TankovichCulture
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball