PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby mrydel » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Larry Brown turned the program in one year. I would hazard a guess it could be revived again with the right person.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
User avatar
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 30983
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Sherwood,AR,USA

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby smupony94 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:29 pm

#BringBackDoh
User avatar
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 25555
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:34 am
Location: Bee Cave, Texas

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby mrydel » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:46 pm

smupony94 wrote:#BringBackDoh

#bringbackdough
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
User avatar
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 30983
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Sherwood,AR,USA

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby redpony » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:22 pm

bring back LB or hire Patino. We need a winner!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9584
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:44 am
Location: on the beach,northern Peru

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:50 pm

I know people are against Pitino but seriously, why not?
#MoodySadness #SaveMoody #FireJank
SMU_Alum11
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 am

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:59 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I know people are against Pitino but seriously, why not?
Not like they'll ever get over the biggest black eye in NCAA football history or basketball so why not? Embrace who you are don't try to be like the baptists down in Waco .
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8712
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby PonyKai » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:37 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:I know people are against Pitino but seriously, why not?
Not like they'll ever get over the biggest black eye in NCAA football history or basketball so why not? Embrace who you are don't try to be like the baptists down in Waco .


SMU won't achieve its full athletic potential until it goes full heel. Pitino is an absolutely wretched human being. Hire him and lawyer up. Prosper.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 6156
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Here and there.

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby PonySnob » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:00 am

PonyKai wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:I know people are against Pitino but seriously, why not?
Not like they'll ever get over the biggest black eye in NCAA football history or basketball so why not? Embrace who you are don't try to be like the baptists down in Waco .


SMU won't achieve its full athletic potential until it goes full heel. Pitino is an absolutely wretched human being. Hire him and lawyer up. Prosper.


Might help with the next reseat for either the 21-22 season


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
User avatar
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 10997
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby redpony » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:06 am

It things don't turn around quickly and we don't hire a big name, top recruiter coach then the reseat will likely become de-seat. they will be begging for people to buy tickets.
IMO people are now wise to paying high dollar to get their seats and then find out the coach and AD have scheduled no-nothing teams for our OOC games. Once hoodwinked, twice shy..
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9584
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:44 am
Location: on the beach,northern Peru

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:58 am

mrydel wrote:Larry Brown turned the program in one year. I would hazard a guess it could be revived again with the right person.
Doh left him some decent pieces. Even then we struggled through the "better beat us now because we're going to be really good" transition year. I agree about the right guy being able to flip it quick but I worry about the Jimmy's and Joe's part.
User avatar
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 17224
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Dallas

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby mrydel » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:12 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:Larry Brown turned the program in one year. I would hazard a guess it could be revived again with the right person.
Doh left him some decent pieces. Even then we struggled through the "better beat us now because we're going to be really good" transition year. I agree about the right guy being able to flip it quick but I worry about the Jimmy's and Joe's part.

Oh, I do not think one year is feasible now but it certainly can be done. Program does not have to be dead.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
User avatar
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 30983
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Sherwood,AR,USA

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:23 pm

It only takes 5 guys.
User avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 8712
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby redpony » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:31 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:It only takes 5 guys.


but those 5 guys are busy making hamburgers per Mrydel. lol
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9584
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:44 am
Location: on the beach,northern Peru

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby Wild Mustang » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:35 am

If memory serves correctly it might take a few more players than 5 players to make SMU into a National Basketball Power again. I am sure that someone will bash this post, take the time to research each individual roster, and then make a comment about how wrong I am.

The point is that scholarships are important. And just as important is that LB did not have any recruiting restrictions or recruiting sanctions. Another point is that players typically are not looking to play for schools that have been put under sanctions.

Here is a list of players who played for LB who helped make SMU into a Nationally Recognized name in Basketball.
(All contributed to the success of SMU Basketball. some more than others)
Most played together on the same team. Maybe all played on the same team. I am sure that I am forgetting someone.
I did not take the time to look over every roster under LB.

Under LB
1. Nic Moore
2. Sterling Brown
3. Ben Moore
4. Cannen Cunningham
5. Nic Russell
6. Markus Kennedy
7. Yanik Morera
8. Ben Emelugu
9. Keith Frazier

Under Jank (recruting rescritions and no such depth)
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby redpony » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:09 pm

scholarship restrictions do NOT prevent a coach from getting top level players. IMO tankovich went to the JJ school of recruiting- just send us your tape and will contact you if interested. Also, I don't recall any 'restrictions' on in-game coaching and his is not good or effective.

WM- we all understand that you are an apologist for tankovich. Issue is he did not/does not recruit. Schedules push-over OOC teams and then gets beat by them. Our bball program is on a downhill slide and if we do not change coaches at the end of the season (or earlier) then we should drop back to a junior level league where we might be competitive.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9584
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:44 am
Location: on the beach,northern Peru

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests