PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Wichita State game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Wichita State game

Postby Arkpony » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:01 pm

We blow another one in the 2nd half.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony81 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:03 pm

We lose to an historically bad WSU team....
that should be a wrap on the Jank Era...
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:03 pm

Was worth the $42 I spent to get YouTube TV lol entertainment.
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:04 pm

Hunt played like a frosh tonight and contributed very little. Can't afford that with the short rotation. Meanwhile, Wichita State has great crowd support and that was a difference maker. Sure wish we had that kind of support.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:05 pm

Good effort in a tough environment...but WSU is absolutely awful this year. We are worse.
Pony ^

Wichita State game

Postby PonySnob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:05 pm

William Douglas and CJ White were big contributors tonight
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMUer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:07 pm

Next Opponent wrote:Will we ever win a game? Wait! We have a game against SMU coming up! Yay!
^^^^^^^
Hello Darkness, my ol' friend...
SMUer

Postby skyscraper » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:13 pm

We lost to a team with one conference win. Embarrassing.
Wichita is trash this season.
skyscraper

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 pm

skyscraper wrote:We lost to a team with one conference win. Embarrassing.
Wichita is trash this season.

Dilly dilly, fire Jank.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:20 am

Give Coach Marshall and the Wichita State fans credit. He knew they had us outnumbered and that they could beat us in the low post so once he turned up the defensive pressure and his team drew energy from their crowd, our lead slowly melted away. I give our guys a lot of credit for fighting until the bitter end because they could have folded once WSU took the lead and looked like they might be pulling away.

We are not going to lose many games when we have 5 guys scoring in double figures and shoot nearly 50% but can't have Chargois go 0-6 on his threes and Hunt be a non-factor offensively and hope to win on the road.
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyKai » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:37 am

We don't play defense anymore.

We have no interior presence--we were getting pushed around by some guy from South America and a guy from a country in the Balkans I'm pretty sure we've been firing cruise missiles into since the early 90s.

Our entire offense is jacking up threes and hoping they fall at a 55% clip.

Jank whines about injuries and sanctions and (i) didn't play CJ, (ii) curtailed Hunt's minutes, and (iii) Young doesn't even play. And of course we get nothing from Bill Douglas.

And he got out-coached.
PonyKai

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:49 am

Our bigs are underclassmen. They need time in the weight room and the training table. Hopefully next year they won't get pushed around. Our upperclassmen are guards and it shows.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:08 am

Young was sick. But beyond that...

Our defense is awful. Frustrating to watch our guys able to win offensively all night long athletically, but we react several steps slow on defense and our defensive positioning is quite poor. Hunt blocks shots, which is nice, but he is running out in transition instead of hitting the boards on defense, and he is way behind his man defensively which gives an open three, and then when he hurries to close that space, they blow right by him.

We are long and trying to close players out on the perimeter, which is going to give up drives. But we have no inside presence to block shots and protect the rim. Chargios just doesn't have a good vertical and his angles defensively are poor. That last foul was terrible - all he had to do was jump up and make the shot difficult, which he did, but then he put his arm forward and made an unnecessary foul on a difficult shot. It is like watching the Mavs ten years ago trying to play with Dirk as a rim protector.

Chargois was gassed at the end of the game. At one point, Jank signals to the bench to sub Hunt in, but then immediately changes his mind. Fundamentally in this case, I think it illustrates the problem. The only sub we have on the roster for Ethan is Young, who was out sick last night. Next year you get Ray back (maybe) and the A&M transfer (maybe), and a more experienced Young and things improve. That is a lot of maybes. Ideally, you would like to be in a position where Ethan plays more or less based on the situation and whether match ups are a good fit. Last night wasn't a great match up for him.

I also see the conundrum with Hunt. He is playing the same position as Mike, at the 4. So, when Mike is hot the last two games, Hunt's PT drops considerably. You can see where Mike is playing a stretch 4, like Jank did with Semi. His threes are in the same spot as Semi's were, at the top of the circle. Jarrey, on the other hand, playing as more of a three, took most of his deep shots from the wing. In order to improve the rotation and get Hunt more floor time, I think it would be good to give Mike time at the 3 and keep Hunt at the 4. But I also understand not wanting to rock the boat when Mike is starting to play well. And if Mike can't guard the 4 on the perimeter, good luck guarding the 3.

White not getting any PT is troubling.

Looking at the rotation for next year:
PG: Whitt
SG: Juco - White
SF: Douglas
PF: Mike - Hunt
C: Ethan - Young - Ray - A&M

I'm not including Cook and McBride, because there is pretty much no way they are ready to play next season.

The Juco and White are both combo guards, so they can spell Whitt. The gigantic hole in the rotation is at the 3. We need a very high level recruit at that spot. Otherwise that lineup might be a little deeper than this season, but has some serious issues.
JasonB

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:08 am

If all that we are getting against Wichita State are a bunch of Field Goals, we will have problems - Our O-line outweighs theirs by over 250 lbs at every position up front.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby used to be 2 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:09 am

AND WHEN IS THE NEXT RE-SEAT SCHEDULED?
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball