PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Wichita State game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Wichita State game

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:16 am

EastStang wrote:Our bigs are underclassmen. They need time in the weight room and the training table. Hopefully next year they won't get pushed around. Our upperclassmen are guards and it shows.

Very true but consider this as well..... from deep in the armchair the second guesser adds:

Akoy Agau. Coulda kept him.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:20 am

JasonB wrote:Young was sick. But beyond that...

Our defense is awful. Frustrating to watch our guys able to win offensively all night long athletically, but we react several steps slow on defense and our defensive positioning is quite poor. Hunt blocks shots, which is nice, but he is running out in transition instead of hitting the boards on defense, and he is way behind his man defensively which gives an open three, and then when he hurries to close that space, they blow right by him.

We are long and trying to close players out on the perimeter, which is going to give up drives. But we have no inside presence to block shots and protect the rim. Chargios just doesn't have a good vertical and his angles defensively are poor. That last foul was terrible - all he had to do was jump up and make the shot difficult, which he did, but then he put his arm forward and made an unnecessary foul on a difficult shot. It is like watching the Mavs ten years ago trying to play with Dirk as a rim protector.

Chargois was gassed at the end of the game. At one point, Jank signals to the bench to sub Hunt in, but then immediately changes his mind. Fundamentally in this case, I think it illustrates the problem. The only sub we have on the roster for Ethan is Young, who was out sick last night. Next year you get Ray back (maybe) and the A&M transfer (maybe), and a more experienced Young and things improve. That is a lot of maybes. Ideally, you would like to be in a position where Ethan plays more or less based on the situation and whether match ups are a good fit. Last night wasn't a great match up for him.

I also see the conundrum with Hunt. He is playing the same position as Mike, at the 4. So, when Mike is hot the last two games, Hunt's PT drops considerably. You can see where Mike is playing a stretch 4, like Jank did with Semi. His threes are in the same spot as Semi's were, at the top of the circle. Jarrey, on the other hand, playing as more of a three, took most of his deep shots from the wing. In order to improve the rotation and get Hunt more floor time, I think it would be good to give Mike time at the 3 and keep Hunt at the 4. But I also understand not wanting to rock the boat when Mike is starting to play well. And if Mike can't guard the 4 on the perimeter, good luck guarding the 3.

White not getting any PT is troubling.

Looking at the rotation for next year:
PG: Whitt
SG: Juco - White
SF: Douglas
PF: Mike - Hunt
C: Ethan - Young - Ray - A&M

I'm not including Cook and McBride, because there is pretty much no way they are ready to play next season.

The Juco and White are both combo guards, so they can spell Whitt. The gigantic hole in the rotation is at the 3. We need a very high level recruit at that spot. Otherwise that lineup might be a little deeper than this season, but has some serious issues.

You have Douglas starting next year? If that is the case, we are worse than I had feared. That kid has actually managed to regress.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ObeyMyDog » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:54 am

The fact everyone discusses the roster next year without mentioning any incoming potential impact players is a total joke and also tells you everything you need to know on the state of the bball program.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:04 am

We will be lucky to reach 12 wins next year at this rate. I've already completely prepared myself that no coaching change will be made either which will set the program back another 3 years at least. We are slowly but surely going back to the doormat program that we have been for 80% of its existence.
Pony ^

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:51 pm

PonyTime wrote:You have Douglas starting next year? If that is the case, we are worse than I had feared. That kid has actually managed to regress.

Yeah that is not good at all if he is even being considered to start. The verdict is in on William Douglas and it is unanimous.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:01 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
PonyTime wrote:You have Douglas starting next year? If that is the case, we are worse than I had feared. That kid has actually managed to regress.

Yeah that is not good at all if he is even being considered to start. The verdict is in on William Douglas and it is unanimous.

I agree. I mean, they could move Mike to that spot but I don't think that is really the answer to making us a good team.

Also, to Bus's point, dead ball 3 minutes left. McDuffie on the bench in foul trouble. Up 8. Opportunity to push well into double digits by half. We run several just poor offensive possessions and they cut the lead to 6, That was a huge point in the game.
JasonB

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:15 pm

used to be 2 wrote:AND WHEN IS THE NEXT RE-SEAT SCHEDULED?

The reality is that the next re-seat is going to be an unscheduled one, starting this spring/summer. The drop is season tickets is going to be swift and brutal. The question is, at what point do Hart, Pottkotter and the Anthill Mob drop the donations and prices...
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:56 pm

without a big name, big recruiter coach this place will be like a graveyard next year. We can only hope that Miller et al agree and move quickly to correct this major tailspin we are in. If they let it ride and make no changes they will see that our program has been destroyed and has lost all momentum built up by LB.
redpony

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:08 pm

JasonB wrote:Looking at the rotation for next year:
PG: Whitt
SG: Juco - White
SF: Douglas
PF: Mike - Hunt
C: Ethan - Young - Ray - A&M

I'm not including Cook and McBride, because there is pretty much no way they are ready to play next season.

The Juco and White are both combo guards, so they can spell Whitt. The gigantic hole in the rotation is at the 3. We need a very high level recruit at that spot. Otherwise that lineup might be a little deeper than this season, but has some serious issues.

There is no "high level recruit" walking thru that door. And why would Whitt stick around for that? This thing is sinking so much faster than I realized it would - EVERY aspect of the program is a mess right now, shocking how quickly this has been run into the ground.

But hey, we only lost because we didn't have the walk-on that we gave a scholarship to since we couldn't fill the slot after completely screwing up the cycle in epic ways (even though we can't compete because of sanctions and loss of scholarships)...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:20 pm

used to be 2 wrote:AND WHEN IS THE NEXT RE-SEAT SCHEDULED?

Believe it’s for the 22/23 season.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:20 pm

You guys are funny.
One Trick Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball