PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Garrett Gilbert

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Garrett Gilbert

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:16 pm

JasonB wrote:So I'll call this.

In 5 years, MLS will be way beyond the NHL as the fourth major league in the US.

MLS could be more popular if they would add more teams.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:34 pm

Cincy this year, Austin and Nashville next year, and then Miami the year after that.

The last team added, Atlanta 2 years ago, won the championship last season while averaging over 50K per game in attendance.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:54 pm

JasonB wrote:Cincy this year, Austin and Nashville next year, and then Miami the year after that.

The last team added, Atlanta 2 years ago, won the championship last season while averaging over 50K per game in attendance.

I was joking. It seems like they add 2-3 teams every year! :)

On a serious note it will be interesting to see how FC Dallas adapts to the new MLS. I believe you discussed this in another thread.

I saw the new Loons stadium in Saint Paul a couple of months ago and it looks amazing.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Peruna94&07 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:27 pm

We are probably the only d1 college to have a soccer homecoming.

We should embrace the MLS as ours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GO Ponies!!!!
Peruna94&07
Varsity

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Peruna94&07 wrote:We are probably the only d1 college to have a soccer homecoming.

We should embrace the MLS as ours

Well with Luchi in charge, hopefully some more SMU folk will test their knowledge of the upper reaches of the Tollway.

Starting with the Bayern Munich under 23s team playing on Saturday at 2PM. Pity the cold will be back by then but hopefully we will get some folks out for it. Preseason MLS does not get a lot of attention but seeing one of our own suit up for the Germans after they bought him should be appreciated.

Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:19 pm

It would be nice to experience cold for once up there in Toyota Stadium.
ponyboy

Postby 78pony » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:52 pm

JasonB wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:It’s time to just embrace Major League Soccer.

Deep down y’all know it’s true.

So I'll call this.

In 5 years, MLS will be way beyond the NHL as the fourth major league in the US.

A huge stink has been raised over the past year about the US failing to qualify for the world cup, and rightfully so.

That said, we are about to enter a golden age of US soccer that we have never seen before. Fans of soccer in the US are going to quickly adopt the US as their team and grow attached to US stars, and the sport is going to mainstream quickly, at an even faster pace than it has over the last 10 years. The players just starting their careers right now at 18-20 years old in Eurpoe at top clubs are outstanding (Weah, Pulisic, McKinney, Adams, Sargent, etc). And the next round of players at the U-20 and U-17 levels are even better and deeper. The profile of the US player is going to rise significantly, and we have already seen that in recent transfer fees.

On top of that, the instant success Tyler Adams has had at Leipzig after his transfer from RBNY brings major credibility to MLS as a league. Almeron will do the same at Newcastle. The revenue MLS brings in with these transfers over the next 5 years is going to enable clubs to even further invest in their youth acadamies, will significantly increase the popularity of the league, and over the next 10 years, MLS will transition from a selling league to a buying league, becoming one of the top leagues in the world.

There has been a bunch of talk about soccer catching on in the US since the 70s. The evolution of MLS has been slow, but consistent. Soccer in the US is just about to hit the hockey stick growth that was anticipated to happen eventually for the past 40 years.

Goodness someone get JasonB some smelling salts and call 911. The lad has lost his everloving mind. The American public will settle in for a Simpson's marathon before giving a couple of hours, plus whatever time the crooked ref who won't show his watch, says to put on at the end (yet he won't tell until he roots his little whistle and says enough.
78pony
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:22 pm

They took to baseball well enough...

Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:10 pm

78pony wrote:
JasonB wrote:

So I'll call this.

A huge stink has been raised over the past year about the US failing to qualify for the world cup, and rightfully so.

That said, we are about to enter a golden age of US soccer that we have never seen before. Fans of soccer in the US are going to quickly adopt the US as their team and grow attached to US stars, and the sport is going to mainstream quickly, at an even faster pace than it has over the last 10 years. The players just starting their careers right now at 18-20 years old in Eurpoe at top clubs are outstanding (Weah, Pulisic, McKinney, Adams, Sargent, etc). And the next round of players at the U-20 and U-17 levels are even better and deeper. The profile of the US player is going to rise significantly, and we have already seen that in recent transfer fees.

On top of that, the instant success Tyler Adams has had at Leipzig after his transfer from RBNY brings major credibility to MLS as a league. Almeron will do the same at Newcastle. The revenue MLS brings in with these transfers over the next 5 years is going to enable clubs to even further invest in their youth acadamies, will significantly increase the popularity of the league, and over the next 10 years, MLS will transition from a selling league to a buying league, becoming one of the top leagues in the world.

There has been a bunch of talk about soccer catching on in the US since the 70s. The evolution of MLS has been slow, but consistent. Soccer in the US is just about to hit the hockey stick growth that was anticipated to happen eventually for the past 40 years.

Goodness someone get JasonB some smelling salts and call 911. The lad has lost his everloving mind. The American public will settle in for a Simpson's marathon before giving a couple of hours, plus whatever time the crooked ref who won't show his watch, says to put on at the end (yet he won't tell until he roots his little whistle and says enough.

The stats are with JasonB. These include bodies in the seats, kids playing the sport, influx of foreign high quality players, facilities, TV coverage and international interest in our national team. Sport is growing at a very steady rate and at some point in time will probably surpass the NHL and give baseball a run in all but a few markets.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:34 pm

ponyboy wrote:It would be nice to experience cold for once up there in Toyota Stadium.

Go north of Northwest Highway?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Throws first TD in history of the new league.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Donnell88 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:29 am

JasonB wrote:

So I'll call this.

A few years ago, Central Florida played at SMU during an ice storm. UCF won a close game; it was telecast on ESPN. During the same time slot, the MLS Championship game was televised on ABC. The tv ratings for the UCF vs SMU game were twice the number for the soccer game. I for one am not convinced that soccer is going to continue to dramatically grow its audience.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby leopold » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:50 am

I’d argue the bigger threat is MMA.

It has all the violence and physicality of football with less of a risk. It’s grown faster with women, can be practiced in some manner all your life, and has a more practical application than football, considering it’s use as self-defense. Heck, Trey Quinn was leading the country in receptions and said he dreamed of being an MMA fighter.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby horsemanx » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 am

leopold wrote:I’d argue the bigger threat is MMA.

It has all the violence and physicality of football with less of a risk. It’s grown faster with women, can be practiced in some manner all your life, and has a more practical application than football, considering it’s use as self-defense. Heck, Trey Quinn was leading the country in receptions and said he dreamed of being an MMA fighter.

That's a great point. MMA totally fits with the way society is degenerating with tattoos and violence, etc.

ESPN already covers it more than soccer as well.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:08 pm

It’s a nasty sport. Do not like.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Football